Can the Pandora not boot 32GB SD Cards?

dflatline

I've tried both the one that came with my Pandora (Emtec) and a Kingston with a Pandian image and the 'boot from sd card' option never want appear when I hold down the trigger. There's nothing from with the Pandian image because I have no trouble booting a 2GB card. I also managed to get the Emtec to boot once by constantly taking it out, powering off and on until the option appeared.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the card needs to be formatted to FAT32 assuming it's used for reflashing, is this the case with that card? 

Edit: Should of read it was for a pandian install... I believe depending on what I read it needs a FAT32 boot partition and the rootfs partition needs to be EXT4... I have no issues booting slackware from my 32GB SD card.

Okay... I'm not sure if that uses some kind of script to install, but I know when I manually make these Boot SD cards the order of how you copy the files to that FAT32 partition is critical, you need to ensure the MLO file is the first thing written to that partition, I would think a script would do that for you... 

Okay that "should" handle everything appropriately...  You are using the LEFT slot?, that is apparently the only slot u-boot looks at.

could you post the Brand and make of that SD card? maybe it's something specific to that type.

I have a free 32GB at home I got from Link's shop a while ago... When I get done with work maybe i'll try installing pandian and see what happens.

I can only tell you whats on the cards except for the Kingston one (I bought it yesterday)

SD cards:

Emtec Class 10 32GB (supplied by Dragonshop if that helps): Won't boot Pandian, Can't flash Angstrom, Randomly booted Pandian once.

Kingston SD10VG2 32GB Class 10: Won't boot Pandian, not tried flashing Angstrom with it yet.

Sandisk 2.0GB: Came with a digital camera about 8 years or so ago: Boots fine.

Okay so this boots fine on my 32GB SD card...

So the deal with Pandian Mark 3 is that it's setup with an autoboot.txt method of booting and doesn't use the left shoulder boot menu,you just need to have it in the left slot and it will boot automagically.

Pandora's old u-boot does have a problem with random SD cards, usually newer SDXC ones. Unfortunately all my cards work (even SDXC ones) so I can't investigate this issue.

You can try this slightly newer u-boot, flash it the same way as OS reflash with your working SD card, just make sure you don't have rootfs.* files in that SD so that it doesn't reflash your NAND needlessly:

http://notaz.gp2x.de/misc/pnd/u-boot-2011.12-00025.zip

Pandora's old u-boot does have a problem with random SD cards, usually newer SDXC ones. Unfortunately all my cards work (even SDXC ones) so I can't investigate this issue.

You can try this slightly newer u-boot, flash it the same way as OS reflash with your working SD card, just make sure you don't have rootfs.* files in that SD so that it doesn't reflash your NAND needlessly:

Did the trick for one of the cards, I've not tried the other but thats getting filled back up with romsets, games and emulation PNDs for Angstrom. Thanks!

LFu3wbS.jpg

Did the trick for one of the cards, I've not tried the other but thats getting filled back up with romsets, games and emulation PNDs for Angstrom. Thanks!

Hmm. I am happy to see someone installing Pandian! Mine didn't installed for 2 weeks and I used Win32ImageTool to burn the image. And, I know your problem was different, but Boot From SD also never appears on my device. It is autoboot.

Hmm. I am happy to see someone installing Pandian! Mine didn't installed for 2 weeks and I used Win32ImageTool to burn the image. And, I know your problem was different, but Boot From SD also never appears on my device. It is autoboot.
I'm starting to build a basic pentest environment on it. I've been typing in the terminal a lot recently and I've really started to appreciate how well laid out the keyboard is. The tab key being right next to the Fn key for example.

granted,  but most people gripe about everything else about the keyboard.

The tricks to hold the pandora like you're playing a game most of the time, with one thumb I can press 6 keys without moving, just rocking the thumb.

I suppose it just depends on what your hands are like.

Back