can this vers of mame be ported?

moora101

Still Fresh
I remember Mamed was released on the Dreamcast a couple years back, and the same guy had ported it over to digital cameras. The source is available for Mamed on this page-

http://digita.mame.net/download.htm

I dunno how possible it would be to port it over to the gp32, but it did have some great early mame game support (pre 68k chipsets).

Just a thought....

At last count, there were either 3 or 4 ports of MAME going on. None have ever been released.

IMHO, MAME is the holy grail for the GP32. You couldn't tell it from my sig...

I realise looking around that only around 200 games are playable on any of the mame emulators that are currently available but does anyone have a definative list of what plays on any of them

or is this with the emulator an I'm just gonna have to wait till I get my gp32 :)

ps does anyone have a definative games list that work nr perfect for any of the diffrerent emulators :)

as Jeff (CaStaway author) said the other day in another topic:

it's not a matter of simply porting it, because of limited 8MB RAM of the GP32 MAME need to be broken down into managable chunks of emulation. A bit like Xcade only emulates certain games.

IIRC the Dreamcast had 24MB RAM so that wasn't an issue.

The Dreamcast had 16 MB of RAM (+8MB Video RAM, if I remember correctly), but it is correct that memory is an issue with the GP32. I think MAMED uses about 6 MB of memory, leaving 2MB free for games... but then it might be possible to rip some of the code out that is used to emulate games that would never work on the gp32...

However, the games that did run with MAMED on the DC were games that are well below the memory limit, even after unzipping to memory.

There were some excellent games that ran really well on MAMED. There's a compatibility list here (which I remember I did some of the testing for a looooong while back!! ;) )

http://www.chez.com/omc1/MAMED/Index.htm

Even with the 2MB memory limit, there's still plenty of games that would be worth it!

Please someone port this over!!! PLEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Hi folks
There are available sources of older versions of mame. Why can't someone do a 'classic mame'.
Maybe someone should do a poll about what early arcade games you would want emulated.
Myself would love a Mr Do series emulator. working highscores and all that.

It's just a thought............

It's not a question of "would MAME run". Craig did a simple port usable for a few games a while back.

I think it is more a matter of someone having the time and inclination to finish a port.

It is very simple with MAME to reduce the size of the build. Just don't include some of the modules. I would guess that possibly half of the MAME games (of ~2700 total) should be playable on the GP32.

I think what is needed for a gp port of mame is do what the orignal mame people do

Have each section broken up so 1 person does the audio other for video etc.

And dont forget the only game on the Digital cameras that works is pacman nothing else\

Maybe if some1 got the source code for the port craig did and added support for the other games that might be the way to go as craig has the ground work done but then again he might of ditched the whole idea and use the source code for just a specific hardware (I think he did do that)

so its all depends....

Still what would the name for a gp32 mame port be? mame32 is taken hehe

:ph34r:

correct me, if wrong but I thought once the basic mame system was created it was just a case of writing the driver for the specific game

my vote would be for new zealand story, and rtype :) plus a couple of others

a name for it could be mame gp

MAME stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. Note "Multiple".

It is a collection of a bunch of emulators. Once you get a certain of the emulators to run, all games for that emulator will (should) run.

Some of the emulators are easier to port than others. We need to concentrate on the older emulators in MAME. They require less horsepower and have a better chance on the GP32.

Thats what im saying im 80% sure that craig just ported the driver for the space invader hardware (i think its the space invader hardware???) so what would have to be done is each emu is treated as a game app or we combine them into 1 and hopefully it will work from there

:ph34r:

Baby was on the right track. MAME uses a standard interface for all it's emulators. Once the interface works, you just have to get the seperate emulators to work, you don't have to get controls and sound working seperately.

I "ported" xmame to the Linux iPaq. Since the iPaq was running X, I literally had to uncomment one line of code and comment out two others to get it to run. After that, it was just creating a crude menu system that accessed scripts containing data (controls, parameters, ROM path) for each game.

To answer the next question ("Why aren't *YOU* working on a port?"), I don't have time right now. I am employed (unlike before).

A slimmed down older version of MAME is what we want (need, have to have, demand, beg for).

Back