Cannot Start Arora Rift Demo Or Firewhip

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
I'm having trouble playing the Arora Rift demo and Firewhip. In the main menus for these games, none of the controls work. I can only exit the game by pressing help 2 in Firewhip, but none of the buttons work in the Arora Rift demo.

I've tested the buttons out on the configuration page's test mode, and they all work. Most other games work fully, except for a few that won't even load for no reason at all.

The demo of Arora Rift won't even start on mine. I tried with the most current bgd-runtime and with the one it was packed with. I can see the loading screen for approx. 5secs and then it threw me back to the main menu. :(
And firewhip doesn't work, too. Same prob.

in my caanoo all works great; :) in the package of arora rift are a folder called "bdg-runtime" , have you put this folder in the root of APPS or GAME?
have a try ;)

I've installed the actual bgd-runtime I got at OpenHandhelds.Org in both, APPS and GAME. :huh: And Arora Rift I've putten into the GAMES folder.
The .gpe looks for the bgd-runtime in the parent directory, so this shouldn't be the prob.
BTW: What Firmware do you use? I'm using 1.6.0

I've installed the actual bgd-runtime I got at OpenHandhelds.Org in both, APPS and GAME. And Arora Rift I've putten into the GAMES folder.
The .gpe looks for the bgd-runtime in the parent directory, so this shouldn't be the prob.
BTW: What Firmware do you use? I'm using 1.6.0
me too, I use firmware 1.6; but try put all (excluded the readme) in a folder like GAME or APPS;
it should work ;)

I, too am using 1.6 and I've copied the BGD runtime folder correctly multiple times. I still have this problem, and some BGD games don't even run, let alone respond.

Weird, maybe try reformatting your SD cards. I have 1.6.0 installed as well but all the bennu games run fine for me. I'm not sure what else to tell you to try except to reflash the firmware.

Orion4874 said:
Weird, maybe try reformatting your SD cards. I have 1.6.0 installed as well but all the bennu games run fine for me. I'm not sure what else to tell you to try except to reflash the firmware.
I just formatted my card with GParted in Ubuntu instead of the format command in Windows. Everything now works; weird. Also, for some reason, 7MB of my card was unallocated. :huh:

Edit:
Okay, now what the heck is going on? I just copied everything back on (I had previously only copied Arora Rift on) and now I have the same problem again! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very strange! My advice would be to try a different card. Also, do you use fat32 to format in windows? IMO, it's the best choice for any flash memory although some people say fat is better for smaller capacity cards.

Oh, and try using the Panasonic SD Formatter, http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter20.html
That link is for v2.0 but there is a 3.0 for Windows 7 and sdxc cards.

Orion4874 said:
That is very strange! My advice would be to try a different card. Also, do you use fat32 to format in windows? IMO, it's the best choice for any flash memory although some people say fat is better for smaller capacity cards.

Oh, and try using the Panasonic SD Formatter, http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter20.html
That link is for v2.0 but there is a 3.0 for Windows 7 and sdxc cards.
Okay, I've reflashed my firmware and I've copied nothing but the game and apps folders over. Everything seems to be working now. I've completely moved to Ubuntu, so I can't format it in Windows without borrowing someone else's computer. I'm using an 8GB class 6 card.

Edit: Oh, and I've formatted it with the FAT32 format in GParted.

:blink:
Okay, the Arora Rift not starting problem is gone. Seems to be my fault during the copying.
But the keys won't work either.
I tried the key-test came with the runtime and it does not detect the keys except 2 or 3. I think this were the keys [II], [L] and [HOME]. Joystick movement is detected, but not as keystrokes into those directions.
Could it be that this has something to do with the 'jkeys.lib' ?
I've reflashed my caanoo three times to 1.6.0 so dunno what to do then.
I will try reformatting my SD as it worked for you Com64.

BTW: Could be that the 7MB are the caanoo's swap?
Beause my card also had some MB's unallocated.

lenrlad said:
:blink:
Okay, the Arora Rift not starting problem is gone. Seems to be my fault during the copying.
But the keys won't work either.
I tried the key-test came with the runtime and it does not detect the keys except 2 or 3. I think this were the keys [II], [L] and [HOME]. Joystick movement is detected, but not as keystrokes into those directions.
Could it be that this has something to do with the 'jkeys.lib' ?
I've reflashed my caanoo three times to 1.6.0 so dunno what to do then.
I will try reformatting my SD as it worked for you Com64.

BTW: Could be that the 7MB are the caanoo's swap?
Beause my card also had some MB's unallocated.
I doubt it because it's unallocated. If it was swap, it would be formatted as swapfs or whatever. In addition, i don't think that the Caanoo could handle card switching if it used the card as swap. Also, the 2GB card that I used with my Wii also has some unallocated space. It must have either came that way, or had to do with the Windows format command.

Anyway, try deleting EVERYTHING on your card except for the BGD runtime and the Arora Rift game. That worked for me.

I'm not sure what's causing this problem. I've tested the demo release several times on my Caanoo and it starts without any issues. It should be working with any of the latest Bennu runtimes released over the past year.
Unless you haven't copied all the files, then your problem is most likely hardware related.

I had the same problem yesterday.
I didn't replace the bgd-runtime I had with the one provided in the archive of these two games.
Then today I tried to replace it. I copied it upon the old one.
Didn't work.
Then, with doubt, I thought maybe I should delete the bgd-runtime and copy it from the archive again.
Hell, it worked.

I guess something on the old bgd I had there remained, having to do with the keys mapping, so even copying over old stuff didn't worked.

Back