Can't Get Ginge To Start Games

M

MontyQ

Ok I tried playing Cave Story in Ginge but when I start Ginge I select games tehn SD game and it crashes back to minimenu.

I have tried putting the cave story folder (which has all the files for the game) in the folder ginge makes in appdata, I have tried putting a game folder on the root of the SD card as I read before and none of these work for me.

I have my ginge.pnd in the root/pandora/menu folder with all my pnds

Can anyone give me a run down where to place the games to use with ginge

Also on a side note lol not a single PND has ever come for me with a readme just the pnd unless it makes a readme file but I have yet to see one.

Thanx all to anyone that can lend a hand once again :)

The read me files for PND are inside the PND itself and show up in the xfcemenu>documentation>relevantPNDname. In minimenu you can press Y whilst highlighting a game and it will launch the documentation via arora browser by default (same for xfce). This can take awhile to load up and sometimes fails to display anything anyway. It was chosen however because it can open a variety of file formats, which the read me files can come in.

If you wish to change the default reader to midori you can follow the steps given by Blue Protoman on the other forum here http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/3034-tutorial-how-to-change-the-default-documentation-reader-from-arora-to-midori/ (though in my case it doesn't work, as it just launches midori's homepage. Something I will have to figure out).

Ginge works for me with quite complicated file structures, the PND placed in pandora/menu/emulators(as you can have sub cat folders within menu,desktop, mmenu, apps to help organise things) and a folder of 'GP2x' games on the root of an SD or HDD(each game in its own folder inside). The games should launch from the .gpe file for the game.

I would suggest you try re-downloading your Ginge PND as it could be corrupted, given that it wont launch anything.

These large packs of GP2x games and apps may also interest you (see links in post #8) http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54638-random-info-gp2x-has-alot-of-content/page__view__findpost__p__880346 as Hooka appears to still be kindly hosting them.

edit: Also look in the appdata folder for Ginge and press ctrl-h to enable hidden files. If there is a file called .aufs.xino then delete it. If not try deleting the appdata folder and then re-run Ginge to make a new one. Sometimes that can clear the instances of certain programs quitting back to xfce/minmenu when you launch them. Hope you get sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaser said:
The read me files for PND are inside the PND itself and show up in the xfcemenu>documentation>relevantPNDname. In minimenu you can press Y whilst highlighting a game and it will launch the documentation via arora browser by default (same for xfce). This can take awhile to load up and sometimes fails to display anything anyway. It was chosen however because it can open a variety of file formats, which the read me files can come in.

If you wish to change the default reader to midori you can follow the steps given by Blue Protoman on the other forum here http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/3034-tutorial-how-to-change-the-default-documentation-reader-from-arora-to-midori/ (though in my case it doesn't work, as it just launches midori's homepage. Something I will have to figure out).

Ginge works for me with quite complicated file structures, the PND placed in pandora/menu/emulators(as you can have sub cat folders within menu,desktop, mmenu, apps to help organise things) and a folder of 'GP2x' games on the root of an SD or HDD(each game in its own folder inside). The games should launch from the .gpe file for the game.

I would suggest you try re-downloading your Ginge PND as it could be corrupted, given that it wont launch anything.

These large packs of GP2x games and apps may also interest you (see links in post #8) http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54638-random-info-gp2x-has-alot-of-content/page__view__findpost__p__880346 as Hooka appears to still be kindly hosting them.

edit: Also look in the appdata folder for Ginge and press ctrl-h to enable hidden files. If there is a file called .aufs.xino then delete it. If not try deleting the appdata folder and then re-run Ginge to make a new one. Sometimes that can clear the instances of certain programs quitting back to xfce/minmenu when you launch them. Hope you get sorted.

Awsome thank you so much for all the great info and help, I just learned alot and solves issues on finding the readme files

TY

Last edited by a moderator:
Back