Can't Run Doom2.wad On Gdoomv8!

Grebn

Hi there,

I'm running GDoomV8 (multifirmware version) on my GP32 BLU+, and it loads the Shareware and Ultimate Doom WADS with no problem, but not DOOM2.WAD - it looks like its loading up but then locks on the demon's face screen. GDoom 9 and 10 aren't much use because of the white bar problem - can anyone direct me to a DOOM2.WAD that might work with this version?

I'd be eternally grateful!

Paul ph34r.gif

Is this the version which has correct sound & music support?

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I think so - in the README file it says that at 133Mhz the sound will click, but that the sound bugs have been corrected and that the music is now supported.

In the README it says that DOOM2.WAD should be supported - its very odd...

Cheers!

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the version which has correct sound & music support?

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I think so - in the README file it says that at 133Mhz the sound will click, but that the sound bugs have been corrected and that the music is now supported.

In the README it says that DOOM2.WAD should be supported - its very odd...

Cheers!

Paul

I use GPDOOMXX.FXE on my blu+ and it works fine with Doom2 wad. But remember there are different versions of the D2 wad, so perhaps some versions don't work. Also make sure you have the wad named correctly and in the right place. Perhaps it's even case sensitive (straw-clutch).

I'll try GPDOOMXX.fxe then - the DOOM2.WAD I got is from the Collectors Edition of DOOM, so I'm assuming that would be the one to use...

I'll hunt down that version of Doom then -

Many thanks! I appreciate it.

Paul

Errr... Google failed me on GPDOOMXX! Any idea where I could procure it??

Paul

Hi there,

I'm running GDoomV8 (multifirmware version) on my GP32 BLU+, and it loads the Shareware and Ultimate Doom WADS with no problem, but not DOOM2.WAD - it looks like its loading up but then locks on the demon's face screen. GDoom 9 and 10 aren't much use because of the white bar problem - can anyone direct me to a DOOM2.WAD that might work with this version?

I'd be eternally grateful!

Paul ph34r.gif

Does the same thing for me. I tried the version from Drumaster's site but it's obviously not BLU+ compatible (unless you want a dirty great mark on the screen).

It's a pain isn't it. V8 is fine if you just want to play Shareware doom, but otherwise BLU+ owners are disadvantaged severely here. I'm actually running Doom 2 on V9 now and ignoring the white bar. I guess a new version thats compatible will pop up at some point...

Cheers Aapje, Rik and Craig! A credit to the forum you guys!

Paul

Craig come on already :( It's been months and you've not BLU+ ized Doom V10 for all your more recent customers who bought GP BLU+'s from you. As well, though people have offered to modify the source file to make it BLU + compatible for you, and you have mentioned the source being available, you have yet to point anyone in the direction in which to find the said source. Considering how many people have said this is really an easy fix to do, I wonder what is taking so long for this to be fixed? I personally had Doom as the #3 reason for buying a BLU when i did (#1 and 2 being DrMD and GPEngine), only to find I was screwed with a BLU+ and Doom V8 with no sound effects and only playing doom 1. Since then so many things have been fixed for BLU+ but Doom still gets left out....

Also, so far NO ONE seems to know of or have the mysterious version of V8 you keep mentioning that has the correctly working sound effects and will run Doom2.wad.

Grebn - the version you have is probably not the 'correct sound' version. Do you get any sound effects in the first level of Doom1.wad (or just Doom.wad)? All of us stuck with V8 have the version in which the sound effects don't seem to work at all or only work sporadiclly, the music works fine however.

Rik - can you please clarify exactly which version of Doom you're using? There is no GPdoomXX.fxe.... if you're running on BLU+ and DONT have that white bar across the top, you must have V8, and if you are and it indeed works perfectly with perfect sound and loads Doom2.wad, can you PLEASE share this file with us or give it to EvilDragon to host so that we unfortunate BLU+ owners can all enjoy it?

Hi Bast252 - I think I've got the dodgy sound version - I was playing it yesterday. Looks like a lot of the sound effects havent been included, but the music is there.

I bought GP32 primarily for Doom and the various mods available for it, so I am disappointed that it doesn't work properly for it yet, and looking at how many other programs have been adapted to work with the BLU+ since, I'm surprised that a game as popular and well-supported as Doom hasn't, but then I do appreciate that these coders are working for the love of the game rather than for the income, so I'm happy to wait, but a bit arsed that I've got to stare at a big white chunk on the screen in the meantime.

If Craig would just point us in the direction for the source file... he said it is freely available, some people have already offered to take a crack and fixing it for BLU+. I too know that these guys are doing it on their own spare time with nothing but thanks for payment, but we're not talking about rewriting the thing from the ground up. As I understand it, fixing a program to work right on BLU+ is really a matter of editing like 3 lines of code. Well... I keep hoping and waiting and waiting and hoping but every time Craig pops up on a Doom thread he makes no mention of ever intending to fix this, I am starting to become a little disheartened :(

Its a shame alright. Especially if its as simple as that. I'll add my voice to all the others that probably want it sorted! Come on Craig! We've got WADs that want playing.

Paul

Well, I think Craigx mentioned in another thread, that the problem isn't the sourcecode, but he can't set up a proper Compiling environment.

Back