Can't unmount SD-cards

denli

Still Fresh
When trying to unmount a SD card my Pandora claims that it is busy although I haven't used any applications yet.

I can't recal the locked path but I will get back about it.

Unmount from Thunar is buggy, supposedly to be fixed in the upcoming hot fix 5.

Ok. Is there a work around for this?

I don't want to corrupt my SD-cards.

Well, you can go and see which app uses your card

fuser -m /path/to/sd/card

this will (hopefully) return a PID

then you can use

ps auxw|grep <PID>

to find out which prog it is.

Then either close the app or just kill it (kill <PID> and if that doesn't work, sudo kill -9 <PID> (but be careful with that))

Then try to unmount again using

sudo umount /path/to/your/sd/card

That's the way you'd do it on a normal linux computer.. how good that works on a pandora, I don't know. If the mentioned bug in Thunar is just that unmounting using the GUI doesn't work, then a simple "umount /your/sd/card" would maybe be enough and you could forget about all the rest. If the bug is that Thunar keeps the device busy, you'll have to kill Thunar which may have side effects (I never worked with Thunar, but killing Nautilus on Ubuntu just closed all open windows but did not do any harm beside that)

Last edited by a moderator:
Or simply install the beta fw image that is posted in the software news section. Fixed there already.

Ok. I'll have a go at the beta and then

"Cannot open /media/.hal-mtab" might go away.

Once I found and flashed with RC1 45 (HF5) it worked.

Thanks ED.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't remove your card while it's busy. After closing any program, wait 10 seconds or so before ejecting. If you have a terminal open, make sure you aren't looking at a directory on the card. If all is stable, you should be able to just eject the card. I've been doing so for months. After ejecting, check the /media/ folder: if your SD card is still listed there, the eject wasn't clean and you may have problems; if your SD card is removed from the folder, then there was no problems unmounting the card after it was removed. After a while of pulling my card with no problem, I eventually stopped checking.

Don't remove your card while it's busy. After closing any program, wait 10 seconds or so before ejecting. If you have a terminal open, make sure you aren't looking at a directory on the card. If all is stable, you should be able to just eject the card. I've been doing so for months. After ejecting, check the /media/ folder: if your SD card is still listed there, the eject wasn't clean and you may have problems; if your SD card is removed from the folder, then there was no problems unmounting the card after it was removed. After a while of pulling my card with no problem, I eventually stopped checking.

I've noticed some folders in the /media folder have been created when I was experimenting with formatting sd cards and giving them labels. There's also a gobbldy gook folder from a card I corrupted. Is there any way to remove these directory's ?

I've noticed some folders in the /media folder have been created when I was experimenting with formatting sd cards and giving them labels. There's also a gobbldy gook folder from a card I corrupted. Is there any way to remove these directory's ?

sudo rmdir /media/dir

rmdir will scream if it's no empty btw, but it's best to check anyway

And what if the name is a load of characters that aren't on they keyboard ?

Thanks by the way.

hmm...try copy/pasting with the touchscreen and edit->copy etc

if you can get the first character, tab completeion should do the rest

failling that, enable ssh then log in through sftp and delete it graphically?

sudo thunar ?

IIRC it might even have a bold warning that you're running it as root. Or then I'm just remembering some other file manager...

Back