Can't Upgrade Past 2.0.0

tracer-bullet

Still Fresh
I'm having a slight problem with my GP2X with regards to upgrading to firmware 2.1.1 .

The model I received had 3.0 installed, and I since the changes seem to mainly be cosmetic, I chose to downgrade to a lower version. Getting to 2.0.0 wasn't a problem, but its going on from there that IS. here's a rundown of what I've been doing.

1: copy the 2.1.1 files onto a freshly formated SD card
2: Boot up my GP2X with the card inside, pressing start + select to bring up the updating screen.

After what seems like a strangly quick updating time, the GP2X boots up with the green loading screen saying V2.1.1, but when I go into the menus, its definitely still version 2.0.0.

All the guides I've found say that after updating, you must restart the unit again without removing the SD card and either let it boot up normally, or press start + select again to finish the updating procedure. Two sources have given these two different instructions, however no matter which option I go with, the result is the same. At best I get a repeat of the really short updating process followed by the 2.1.1 loading screen and then being dumped back into 2.0.0

Am I being an idiot here or what? I can't for the life of me understand whats going on. All accounts say this should be a straightforward process, and yet I'm stuck against a wall. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: this also extends to trying to re-install firmware 3.0.0. I'd really like it if this wasn't going to turn out to be a permanent thing.

I'm having a slight problem with my GP2X with regards to upgrading to firmware 2.1.1 .

The model I received had 3.0 installed, and I since the changes seem to mainly be cosmetic, I chose to downgrade to a lower version. Getting to 2.0.0 wasn't a problem, but its going on from there that IS. here's a rundown of what I've been doing.

2: Boot up my GP2X with the card inside, pressing start + select to bring up the updating screen.

After what seems like a strangly quick updating time, the GP2X boots up with the green loading screen saying V2.1.1, but when I go into the menus, its definitely still version 2.0.0.

All the guides I've found say that after updating, you must restart the unit again without removing the SD card and either let it boot up normally, or press start + select again to finish the updating procedure. Two sources have given these two different instructions, however no matter which option I go with, the result is the same. At best I get a repeat of the really short updating process followed by the 2.1.1 loading screen and then being dumped back into 2.0.0

Am I being an idiot here or what? I can't for the life of me understand whats going on. All accounts say this should be a straightforward process, and yet I'm stuck against a wall. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: this also extends to trying to re-install firmware 3.0.0. I'd really like it if this wasn't going to turn out to be a permanent thing.

see here

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

Don't know if this will help but try updating v2.0.0 to v2.1.0 and then v2.1.1, that's wot I did after getting compatibility probs with v3.0.0 .....

The fast update process is normal as they r only small (about 2MB, I think).

:)

You have to open the gpu installer manually (after you did start + select at boot and did the "install")... then it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Turns out I wasn't being a retard. I gave it up last night, tried again today and it worked perfectly first time. weird.

Back