Card Erased

fdave

Final Dave
Website
www.finalburn.com
My card seems to have been completely erased - there is one file date 1980 called GPMM on it, an it's 0 bytes long. That's it there is no other data on it.

I tried recovery and it didn't do anything it says zero errors.

Is all my data gone? Should I reformat the card and reupload everything :(

Its happened to me a few times - I had a fairly cheap smart card that I now don't use for much!

Formatting it using pacrom or similar nearly always solved the problem.

Twice I have fixed the card by running Fdisk from windows, deleting the partition and recreating a primary partition on the card.

But hopefully formatting will fix the problem on its own!

Hmm, this has never happened to me, but just to avoid the possible, how would you go about making a backup file of your whole smc? Just incase it happens to me too, I want to be safe and have at least a backup of most of my files.

GPJosh posted on May 19 2004 at 10:39 PM said:
Yeah, unfortunatly you need to reformat.

On an off topic note: How is GigaDrive going? :rolleyes:
*Goes back to playing Sonic 1* :p

well it was going fairly well till this happened!
gonna have reupload all my roms all over again... it takes HOURS! is there any way to speed it up, PC-Link is slow as hell - runs about 0.05 Mb a Sec??

My iPod can do about 50Mb/sec or something!

also can you get around the 8.3 filename limit problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a hacked version of PC-Link which changes the file name while putting it on your gp32. A card reader is the best though because you don't have to rename (some programs just shorten name themselves) and it's MUCH faster. Well woth the $15. ;)

fdave posted on May 20 2004 at 03:49 AM said:
GPJosh posted on May 19 2004 at 10:39 PM said:
Yeah, unfortunatly you need to reformat.

On an off topic note: How is GigaDrive going? :rolleyes:
*Goes back to playing Sonic 1* :p

well it was going fairly well till this happened!
gonna have reupload all my roms all over again... it takes HOURS! is there any way to speed it up, PC-Link is slow as hell - runs about 0.05 Mb a Sec??

My iPod can do about 50Mb/sec or something!

also can you get around the 8.3 filename limit problem?
Get a good SMC reader/writer. I can go from 0 to 128mb (fill up my SMC) in a couple minutes.

I heard GPDrive was faster than PCLink, but havent ever tried it. You might look into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe - me too - I copied a file with the same name as an existing folder on the SMC using maclink. Totally buggered most of the SMC (I managed to recover the GAME folder including my Doom and SNES game saves).

That was what prompted me to do the Maclink GUI...

Use GPDrive if you can, it's a lottt faster than pclink, since I started using it I've never looked back

A thought has just occurred to me, if gigadrive supported zipped roms, they'd take even less time to copy over ;)

shame about your card :(
ive never used pc link or that gpdrive thingy , my PC has a load of drive slots on the front for MMC SMC MS SM SD its nice , i just pop it in and the brower clips open , nice :) and its fast :) i recoomend card readers there great :)

Back