Case Is Cracked

daffy

scaled.php

Just noticed that my Pandora is cracked.

Not amazingly serious, but rather disappointing. Looks like some sort of stress fracture (is that the right term?). I didn't drop it or do anything but handle it very carefully since I got it a couple of weeks ago.

Also notice that the seam along the back has opened up a little between the USB and power ports.

I haven't seen photos of it, but others reported a crack on the back too. It's caused by tightening one of the bottom screws too much, iirc.

mali said:
I haven't seen photos of it, but others reported a crack on the back too. It's caused by tightening one of the bottom screws too much, iirc.
I've got the exact same crack, and it is just above a screw hole. However am doing too much on my P to return it right now. Will probably just superglue it back up RSN, and order a new bottom case part when they become available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't notice before, but I have a small crack at the same position, too. Mine is tiny in comparison though.

no crack here, but after opening the case to fix a dodgy shoulder button I did not tighten the middle screw to much,
there is now at the back a visible "gap" (1mm or so) between the both halves of the case from the usb port onwards to the left shoulder button, the right side has no visible gap however.
I think i could screw the middle screw in further but I doubt that's a good idea :)

Looks like the tolerances on the case are in that area a bit off ...

Polossatik said:
no crack here, but after opening the case to fix a dodgy shoulder button I did not tighten the middle screw to much,
there is now at the back a visible "gap" (1mm or so) between the both halves of the case from the usb port onwards to the left shoulder button, the right side has no visible gap however.
I think i could screw the middle screw in further but I doubt that's a good idea :)

Would it fit better if you use a shorter screw?

The crack at the USB port?
Yeah, it happens if the screw is too tight... just realized that after one told me about the cracks a while ago.
Won't hurt the Pandora though, it doesn't change (I have that crack on my unit since 7 months and it's been through rough handling :))

The crack does not bother me it isn't even noticeable unless you are looking at the back :p
It really won't get worse as long as you treat it how a hand held should be treated.
don't treat it like a 10 year old treats a DS and it should be fine.
Not having a right hinge bothers me a lot though.

I'm fairly sure (but as ever, I may be mistaken :p) that the hinge part is only in the right, Bo, so it might be that, as Craig said, you might have no hinge at all...

fusion_power said:
Polossatik said:

Would it fit better if you use a shorter screw?

no idea, I used the one that was in the pandora :) and the little "gap" does not bother my a bit, so I ain't going to try :)

Mine's not cracked, but the expansion port looks to be about 0.2mm larger than the cut-out for it, which would explain how over tightening the screws can stress the plastic.

tsh said:
Mine's not cracked, but the expansion port looks to be about 0.2mm larger than the cut-out for it, which would explain how over tightening the screws can stress the plastic.
Could this be caused by the paint again?

Caine said:
Could this be caused by the paint again?
Unlikely, since all the surface on the 'z' face would have been increased. Just too close a tolerance in the design would be my guess. It looks fine, unless you look for a problem, and then I think I see something.

It would be a piece of cake to set up a station with a table-mounted electrical file to take off some material from the port area.

A custom tool like this with enough space between the sides of the belt to put in the case could work, or just a table mounted dremel with a cutting disc.
damast93wmdou65.jpg

Back