Case Mods

twobit

Still Fresh
Heya guys,

Simple question: Will spare Pandora cases be available for purchase? I'm not sure if they're difficult to put together, but I'd love a spare so I could paint up a case - just to be a little different. I plan on looking into protective, transparent case for mine for protection, but before doing that I'd like to paint it.

Anyway. Any info on this? I can't find any posted.

Cheers,
Twobit

twobit said:
Heya guys,

Simple question: Will spare Pandora cases be available for purchase? I'm not sure if they're difficult to put together, but I'd love a spare so I could paint up a case - just to be a little different. I plan on looking into protective, transparent case for mine for protection, but before doing that I'd like to paint it.

Anyway. Any info on this? I can't find any posted.

Cheers,
Twobit

Howabout taking a mould of the plastic case and die casting yourself a aluminium one?

or even better - TITANIUM!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Poletski said:
Howabout taking a mould of the plastic case and die casting yourself a aluminium one?

I plan on getting a second down the track and making a Steam-punk themed Pandora. I think that's appropriate.

Mr Poletski said:

I will wrap mine in aluminium foil and pretend I've made it myself. It will also pretect me against high energy electromagnetic psychotronic mind control frequencies (HEEPMCF's).

i think the real question here would be, when will dealextreme carry replacement housings in different colors, including translucent

DaMummy said:
i think the real question here would be, when will dealextreme carry replacement housings in different colors, including translucent

i personally cant wait to see all the knockoff pandora gear from china. you know you've done alright when the chinese start ripping off your stuff.

DaMummy said:
Hey, if they're as good as the translucent blue and clear ones I got, let them!

Edit: Those were for the DSL, of course.

anyway to take a topic seriously for once. yep hopefully the pandora team will produce spares for the pandora. obviously voiding the warrenty when you open the case (as with every product)
theres loads of videos for xbox controller painting/customising etc on youtube that are brilliant. telling you what the best plastic on paint to choose etc. good stuff.
hope to show off my case if i get one done

gibberish said:
DaMummy said:

i personally cant wait to see all the knockoff pandora gear from china. you know you've done alright when the chinese start ripping off your stuff.
YOU WANT KNOCK OFFS!?!?!? YOU WON'T BE NEEDING THE REAL THING THEN! WUTS UR ORDER NUMBER!?

sorry, this meme is just too good not to use at least once :D

edit: on a more constructive note, I would quite like an extra case as well. I'd love to carve out the logo & put some EL sheet or leds with a diffuser sheet behind it.

twobit said:
I'd love a spare so I could paint up a case - just to be a little different.

You'll probably be different enough (at least in your local area) just by owning one. :D

I do seem to remember talk of spare parts being offered, though.

Is this of any help?

craigix said:
We plan to sell spares of all parts, inc the case, hinges, lcd screens, buttons, keymats, nubs, lcd cables, everything.

Trevsweb said:
anyway to take a topic seriously for once. yep hopefully the pandora team will produce spares for the pandora. obviously voiding the warrenty when you open the case (as with every product)
theres loads of videos for xbox controller painting/customising etc on youtube that are brilliant. telling you what the best plastic on paint to choose etc. good stuff.
hope to show off my case if i get one done

Agreed. That's why I was hoping to be able to purchase a spare one. I'm not touching the Warranty voiding topic with a 10-foot pole ;) I don't expect they'll set up a gallery for pics as that would indicate they could care less if you crack the case open, but I look forward to sharing my case painting and to see what other folks have done to theirs.

The Pandora will grab attention as it is, but a lot of naive folks will assume it's an oldschool DS after first glance. I want people to ask me "what the hell is that awesome looking thing?!", so I think giving it a good look would be awesome.

I can't decide wether to paint it up to look like a claymore:
claymore-thumb.jpg

or something steampunk, like:
steampunkLaptop2.jpg

or

Just, please don't make it look like this;

uglyds.jpg

Attachments

• uglyds.jpg
    uglyds.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 131
:D the claymore would be hilarious in a dark way

A pandora with a stained wood case would be amazing, i really hope you get around to it. Would you use the original keymat or would you make your own [brass?] ones?

I was thinking of making one of those paper cases people made to see the size of the Pandora, and stuffing the hardware in there. So finally a usable paper Pandora.

Like this but Paper.

6a00d83452989a69e2011169009f9b970c-800wi

Consequence_9 said:
:D the claymore would be hilarious in a dark way

A pandora with a stained wood case would be amazing, i really hope you get around to it. Would you use the original keymat or would you make your own [brass?] ones?

For the Steam-Punk one, the plan is to:
- Copperplate using copper sulphate and a red oxide solution.
- Etch - using a car battery/salt water solution - the edges, base and top. I'll use some sort of old Victorian embroidery/decoration around the case and around the outside of the lid.
- I'll leave an oval on the lid to put some branded leather there. The branding will be the Pandora 'box' logo.
- I'm not sure how the keymat is setup on the device, but if possible, I'll likely make some of my own buttons using brass studs cut short, then copperplate and etch the appropriate letters into them.
- Around those stud/keys I'll put in some polished wood.

That's my ultimate project for the Pandora. Once they're in mass production I'll pick up a second one to do this to, and it's all assuming it's flexible enough for me to pull it off. I'll have to wait until I get my pre-ordered device and have checked it out to see if it's possible to do. It's weigh a few grams more, but I think it'd be worth it.

As for the claymore, that's just a matter of pulling some other plastic trinkets apart and painting the parts + case up using model paints. That one is an easy one. Still jotting ideas down for other themes in the mean time.

@Prometheus, that DS or whatever that was is nasty looking. No offence to the designer. Is that gaffer tape wrapped around it as a paint job? If mine ends up looking anything near that, you have my permission to confiscate all my gadgets and ban me from going near technology indefinitely!

twobit said:
@Prometheus, that DS or whatever that was is nasty looking. No offence to the designer. Is that gaffer tape wrapped around it as a paint job?
It looks to me to be either standard paint meant for walls, or acrylics (or both), with some ink from a gold marker. :blink:

I just finished my Paper Pandora!.
Love it! I was VERY bored. Was worth all the time to make it!

EVERYONE should! Paper Pandora

Yes, I know its old news - BUT there are many new members!

Back