Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari

Malachi

Still Fresh
"Cave Story is a freeware sidescrolling action/adventure/platformer title with leanings towards Wonderboy and recent sidescrolling Castlevania titles. You control a little amnesiac who runs around helping out these rabbit-ish creatures called Mimigas while trying to find your way out of the giant cave inside the floating island which makes up the game's setting."

It's one really awesome game. I'm sure those who have played it could say the same (if you haven't played it, I encourage you to).

This would be a really awesome GP2X port; I'd do anything to play this on my GP2X. I'm pretty sure the source code is available, as it's already being ported to the GBA, I think you just have to ask. (I heard something about a PSP port that didn't have permission and had to be stopped, so ask first).

Malachi posted on Oct 7 2006 at 10:59 AM said:
"Cave Story is a freeware sidescrolling action/adventure/platformer title with leanings towards Wonderboy and recent sidescrolling Castlevania titles. You control a little amnesiac who runs around helping out these rabbit-ish creatures called Mimigas while trying to find your way out of the giant cave inside the floating island which makes up the game's setting."

It's one really awesome game. I'm sure those who have played it could say the same (if you haven't played it, I encourage you to).

This would be a really awesome GP2X port; I'd do anything to play this on my GP2X. I'm pretty sure the source code is available, as it's already being ported to the GBA, I think you just have to ask. (I heard something about a PSP port that didn't have permission and had to be stopped, so ask first).

actually, the there was a release scheduled for the psp or something like that, but pixel sais he had nothing to do with it. i dont know how the gba port is coming, and i dont think pixel will just hand out the source.

but i agree, if someone could port it that would be awesome. there is one guy who is rebuilding it from scratche for linux, but i have no idea how long that will take. he said he was up to the point where you could walk around the map .

but if anyone else wants to try, i may even donate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pixel took a firm stand against the PSP edition of Cave Story, but has offered the source to the person heading the GBA port. Sorry, I can't cite it at the moment. I think it was Shih Tzu's translation of Pixel's DevBlog? (Shih Tzu being the person who did the actual translation of the PC version, and Gideon Zhi hacked it.)

IF someone did indeed volunteer, and the whole port was ok'ed with Pixel, how long would it take (reasonably)? I've never ported anything before, and it seems like fun...I might have to learn how, so I won't have to ask every time I want a game ported.

dontspam posted on Oct 7 2006 at 02:32 PM said:
IF someone did indeed volunteer, and the whole port was ok'ed with Pixel, how long would it take (reasonably)? I've never ported anything before, and it seems like fun...I might have to learn how, so I won't have to ask every time I want a game ported.

It completely depends on the game. I've never seen the internals of this one -- it could be lousy with x86 assembly language, or it could be coded in beautifully clean C with data-driven design, endian independence, a portable graphics API.

I somewhat doubt the latter.

If it's been ported to the GBA I doubt it's coded in x86asm. Dunno about the ease of portability, but I feel we can be reassured that particular element won't be a prob.

Allan.

So what's the first step in obtaining the source code to get this off the ground?

[No, I'm not rushing it, I don't even know if anyone wants to do it, I'm just curious.]

Malachi posted on Oct 11 2006 at 11:02 AM said:
So what's the first step in obtaining the source code to get this off the ground?

[No, I'm not rushing it, I don't even know if anyone wants to do it, I'm just curious.]
An interested developer would email Pixel at rochet@nifty.com (at least thats the email listed on his site).

Yono posted on Oct 12 2006 at 08:35 AM said:
Malachi posted on Oct 11 2006 at 11:02 AM said:

An interested developer would email Pixel at rochet@nifty.com (at least thats the email listed on his site).

Done and done. Waiting on response.

Allan.

ravuya posted on Oct 9 2006 at 05:10 PM said:
dontspam posted on Oct 7 2006 at 02:32 PM said:

It completely depends on the game. I've never seen the internals of this one -- it could be lousy with x86 assembly language, or it could be coded in beautifully clean C with data-driven design, endian independence, a portable graphics API.

I somewhat doubt the latter.

just checked the post of the guy whos porting it to gba, and the source is all c.
no x86.

Does anyone know if any response has been given? Has Pixel said anything?

Has someone ever bothered asking? Pixel supported the ds version so I'm sure the gp2x version would be supported too.

Actually, if someone checked the community - I have.

It seems the best way to go about it is beginning to write an interpreter for it, and then show Pixel what you have been doing - then when he knows you are serious he will give you the source. Seems a little silly to me, but if anyone's willing..

Allan.

I assumed [after reading his comment] that Muncher666 sent Pixel an email. I'm not sure though...

I assumed [after reading his comment] that Muncher666 sent Pixel an email. I'm not sure though...

Aye, that I did, but he doesn't speak english so I didn't get a response. I was referring to the Livejournal community, however.

Allan.

Time to dig out an old thread... I'm somewhat fluent in Japanese, so if there's still someone interested in doing a port, I could help in contacting Pixel. Just drop me a line :)

I am still VERY, VERY interested in this port. If this gets a good port, I'll be even happier than when I realized I could play Fire Emblem again on my GP2X.

Please try contacting him again.

Back