Changes?

Luftwaffles

Well over the last couple of weeks I've been grappling with the decision of buying a leftover from the previous batch, or pre-ordering one from the next. Yes I know, I know it says changes will only be out of necessity, but reading up some of the things about the unpolished wifi driver made me think- will the new batch have a more refined/updated OS? This will help me come to a decision, thanks for your input in advance :p

Luftwaffles said:
Well over the last couple of weeks I've been grappling with the decision of buying a leftover from the previous batch, or pre-ordering one from the next. Yes I know, I know it says changes will only be out of necessity, but reading up some of the things about the unpolished wifi driver made me think- will the new batch have a more refined/updated OS? This will help me come to a decision, thanks for your input in advance :p
The operating system has auto-updates built in, so when a better OS is released, you'll get it even if you have a first-batch Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
The updates will either be available as automated updates or as an SD image that installs the newer OS version.
It should be pretty easy to get any software updates, so I wouldn't hold off just because of those.

Wow people on these boards are really nice, on other boards I would have got something like GTFO READ DA FAQ NOOOB!!!!! or if im lucky an array of non-relevant links, so I suppose when these updates become available we will be able to download them via the official website/forums, with this confirmed, I will be the proud owner of a first batch pandora :)

torpor said:
[quote name='luftwaffles' date='09 July 2009 - 12:37 PM' ]Wow people on these boards are really nice
wtf, gtfo newbie! we're all assholes here, you obviously haven't been around long. go rtfm, lol, !!!!!!11!![/quote]I'm surprised that took half an hour to turn up!

Luftwaffles said:
Wow people on these boards are really nice, on other boards I would have got something like GTFO READ DA FAQ NOOOB!!!!! or if im lucky an array of non-relevant links, so I suppose when these updates become available we will be able to download them via the official website/forums, with this confirmed, I will be the proud owner of a first batch pandora :)

If things go to plan, you'll be able to tell your Pandora to basically update itself, as long as you have a working Wifi connection.

Otherwise, as stated, you'll have to download a file to an SD card and run it.

Nothing complicated thats for sure.

just hope things get sorted wifi wise before or shortly after release.
though not a huge issue to wait and be paitent for that feature to come. but a good start if it worked with my belkin router :D

i doubt there will be anything major hardware wise that hasnt been thought about or tested already before release. would love to know whats going on with 1st party software...

Haha quite funny, the drivers that were immature were the wifi ones, and no the updates have to be done through wifi Irony, but obviously not as unfinished as people make you believe, after the waits I have faith in the open pandora team to deliver a good product :)
Okay now im going very off topic but don't you think it will be a good idea to put alot of links to pandora resources in one place? i.e emulators, ported games and homebrew? I know theres a section on the unofficial blog and the wiki but there seems to be nothing on there, is this simply because they haven't been released yet? I've seen many videos of working emulators eg: psx4pandora will these be released for download on the day of pandora's release?

Theres a GP32x file page but theres nothing there yet...
alot of people are making specific websites and programs to easly find software for the pandora so untill some get released we wont know for certain how people will download files.
be sure that you will know via here come release day.

Luftwaffles said:
Okay now im going very off topic but don't you think it will be a good idea to put alot of links to pandora resources in one place? i.e emulators, ported games and homebrew? I know theres a section on the unofficial blog and the wiki but there seems to be nothing on there, is this simply because they haven't been released yet? I've seen many videos of working emulators eg: psx4pandora will these be released for download on the day of pandora's release?
Each dev will upload their own work to the file archive as it's ready. A lot of them are probably using this extra time to tweak and fine tune, rather than upload a bunch of betas. I don't know how much will be available on day one... fingers crossed for PandoraPanic and PSX at the very least. :)

I wonder why so few people have bought first batch pandoras if you can simply update, probably because they are waiting for devs to finish their projects. I suppose most first-batchers went into the hands of devs aswell.

Luftwaffles said:
I wonder why so few people have bought first batch pandoras if you can simply update, probably because they are waiting for devs to finish their projects. I suppose most first-batchers went into the hands of devs aswell.
I think that the reasons instead might have something to do with that 1. people want to see how the product performs before buying it and 2. they want to pay with credit cards when buying it, which isn't possible ATM.

Another reason is that some people are worried that some hardware problem might get past the devs, and so the first-batchers would be stuck with the hardware issue, but the issue would be solved in the future. I think even us first-batchers don't have to worry about this, because IIRC the devs guaranteed that they would replace boards if there was some general issue with them. Not sure about this, but MWeston's done so much testing on the boards that it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

This is off topic for the thread, but better here in an active post with noobie questions than to start a whole new thread for the sake of a simple question -

Are any of the first batch 3000 (or is it 4000 now?) still available, and if so who do I need to call / what thread do I need to read so I can get my preorder in?

rumsey said:
This is off topic for the thread, but better here in an active post with noobie questions than to start a whole new thread for the sake of a simple question -

Are any of the first batch 3000 (or is it 4000 now?) still available, and if so who do I need to call / what thread do I need to read so I can get my preorder in?
I'll send you a PM with the link to the order page for a Pandora, not sure how many in the first batch but you might still be lucky.

BenScar said:
rumsey said:

I'll send you a PM with the link to the order page for a Pandora, not sure how many in the first batch but you might still be lucky.

NOT a good idea. Send an email to the sales team - openpandorasales@gmail.com, IIRC, and ask them if there are any available. They'll give you all the ordering information - the order pages aren't a good way to do it, as there have been many changes to the ordering "process" since the first orders were taken.

EDIT: Missed the sales part of openpandorasales@gmail.com...

There are still a couple of first batches available, as I have already emailed them and got the details, I was just wondering if it was a good idea.

Now that I know that software isn't an issue, will the new boards have hardware revisions that will be advantageous to those getting second batch pandoras?

Back