Cheap & Easy Glowing Keyboard Mod

LineOf7s

Website
www.lineof7s.com
d77d_glowing_keyboard_stickers.jpg

Mmmm.... glowy stickers. Now with proper ThinkGeek credbility! $US9.99! ;)

(Hey, it may be an option for people)

More details here:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/d77d/?cpg=129H&head

Attachments

• d77d_glowing_keyboard_stickers.jpg
    d77d_glowing_keyboard_stickers.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 61
I reckon that any form of sticker will go a bit squiffy if you try to apply them to the pandora's rounded keys

From myglowkeys.com FAQ:

Question: Do the glowing keyboard stickers glow in the dark?

Answer: Although the keys may glow in the dark for a few seconds, our state of the art reflective technology is based on the usage of the light from the computer monitor only. Our technology operates in the similar fashion as street signs reflecting from car headlights.
So it looks like it's the same stuff. Neither of them look small enough for the Pandor. I wonder how hard it would be to make the keymats with reflective paint rather than normal paint. For future models of course, don't want another hold up.

I wonder if it would be feasible to etch the shapes of the letters into the Pandora's key-tops, and fill the resulting etchings with some sort of glow-in-the-dark paint using the end of a pin, or something?

Sugar_Kane said:
I reckon that any form of sticker will go a bit squiffy if you try to apply them to the pandora's rounded keys

That's exactly what I thought too...
I remember the time when the "glowing paint" for the keys was discussed. :)
Time really is moving fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nupfi said:
That's exactly what I thought too...
I remember the time when the "glowing paint" for the keys was discussed. :)
Time really is moving fast.
# Joined: Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Dang, you did lurk a long time! That was over a year ago.

mali said:
^ Btw, why was the idea dropped? I was away for a while and missed it.
I... don't know.
I've searched, and found one post of ED saying they're looking at possibly using glow-in-the-dark paint, a bunch of hype for a few days, and then a couple months later Chip saying it was deemed unfeasible. There's nothing in between :eek:
edit: that's between January 2009 when it was first mentioned and March 2009 when it was last mentioned.

Wait, I just thought of something, on the Pandora as close as the keys are to the screen they should be lit up anyway. Use an SP in the dark and you can clearly see the controls. Glow and reflective keys are kinda pointless, that is probably why the glow key idea was dropped.

EDIT: LOL, wait, I'm wearing a white shirt so the light from my SP is reflected back. Well, don't dress like a goth and this won't be a problems. Or wait, rather than reflective keys why not just wear reflective shirts! Pandora users could start a fashion trend. Not me, I'm ugly, but are there any models buying the Pandora?

# Joined: Yesterday, 06:52 PM
Dang, you did lurk a long time! That was over a year ago.
[/quote]

Well, I was posting on the german forums for a while so... ;)

Just curious if the "stickers" would fit on the rounded keys... I don't think so.

second exodous said:
mali said:
^ No, I don't think so.
Some how it doesn't surprise me that only ugly people are buying the Pandora, oh well.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52981-fellow-pre-orderers-reveal-yourselves/page__view__findpost__p__840612

Nupfi, the hot chick, isn't ugly.

Reflective keys wont' work because the screen shines in an angle that doesn't touch the keys.

Glow in the dark keys won't work because they are not bright enough compared to the screen.

Pretty much the only thing that will work is wear a white shirt, back lit keys, or if someone makes a small version of this:

usb-flexlight.jpg

Attachments

• usb-flexlight.jpg
    usb-flexlight.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 56
dual-head-torch.jpg

Problem solved!

And since the picture thread I think it's highly likely that everyone is going to agree with whatever Nupfi says from now on.

cosurgi said:
second exodous said:
mali said:
^ No, I don't think so.
Some how it doesn't surprise me that only ugly people are buying the Pandora, oh well.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52981-fellow-pre-orderers-reveal-yourselves/page__view__findpost__p__840612

Nupfi, the hot chick, isn't ugly.
I was just joking, like I was about wearing a reflecting shirt.

Back