chkdsk NTFS in linux?

DaMummy

Soldier Paste
im having some issues with one of my drives since "updating" to ubuntu 11.04, it simply refuses to be mountable for whatever reason, after trying a bunch of random crap, i wonna try something like chkdsk in windows since ntfs is windows native and has fixed some ntsf issues before for me, but i dont want to install windows again on this thing, and it a internal hdd. so im trying to figure out if theres maybe some linux alternative that might fix ntfs filesystem or if theres anything like a windows livecd, ive tried Hiren's boot cd, but ive no idea where to go from there, device manager and couple hdd apps see the drive, but windows refuses to give it a drive letter, so i dont know how to go about doing chkdsk w/o a drive letter, and doesnt show up in My Computer. the problem occurred when i was, as said, updating from 10.04 to 11.04 over Update Manager, and it somehow froze at the 95+% point and i had to power cycle, and at which point neither ubuntu would boot, so i liveusb's into 11.04 and installed fresh. so anyone have any bright ideas i could do before i have to install windows just to try my initial idea?

sudo fsck /dev/sdsomethingsomething

The trick is figuring out what that somethingsomething is. If this is an external disk, it's easy: just remove the drive, reinsert it, and then type "ls -lrt /dev" and right near the bottom of the list will be the most recent thing, something like "sdc1" or something. That's what you need to check.

If it's not external, then... I'll think about that.

Oh! You can use gparted! Install it as with any Ubuntu app, it'll appear in the system->Administration menu. Once it starts up (which could take a while) you'll be treated to a nice graphical interface with a drop down that lets you select the physical drive, and then a graph that lets you select the partition on that physical drive. The "Partition" menu will then let you "Check" the disk.

sudo fsck /dev/sdc or sdc1 gave me this...

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2

e2fsck 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)

fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...

fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdc

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2

filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock

is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

while in gparted, the drive is there, filesystem is unknown, and the error msg is...

Unable to detect file system! Possible reasons are:

-The file system is damaged

-The file system is unknown to GParted

-There is no file system available (unformatted)

and Check, as you suggested, is grayed out, and i cant mount or unmount the drive

ok well, ive no idea how i fixed it, but i did, something with windows installation cd repair kits and windows boot cds, which didnt seem like it fixed anything, but upon booting back into ubuntu, it works now

this thread can be deleted, and as for me, i gotta delete the damn NTFS off these drives

Back