Choppy Games Compatibility Issues

RETRONATE

Still Fresh
hi there ive had my caanoo almost a month ,its my 1st portable linux gaming device , ive played emulators on my pc and xbox and caanoo was a new experience for me... on the whole you devs have made some great emulators thank you. ive got every emulator to work so far through trial and eror but have a few questions please? on picodrive are the sega 32 games choppy for everyone?.. nba jam and mortal kombat are unplayable.... has anyone managed to get mortal kombat working on mame the screen goes fuzzy for me , i get the other games to work fine but not mortal kombat and id really like to play it thanks.

Yes, 32x games are choppy. That functionality is new in Picodrive.
Thankfully, your not missing too much, and Sega CD games work perfectly :)

Is mortal kombat on the MAME compatability list?

RETRONATE said:
hi there ive had my caanoo almost a month ,its my 1st portable linux gaming device , ive played emulators on my pc and xbox and caanoo was a new experience for me... on the whole you devs have made some great emulators thank you. ive got every emulator to work so far through trial and eror but have a few questions please? on picodrive are the sega 32 games choppy for everyone?.. nba jam and mortal kombat are unplayable.... has anyone managed to get mortal kombat working on mame the screen goes fuzzy for me , i get the other games to work fine but not mortal kombat and id really like to play it thanks.

The 32x games seem to be the only thing missing full support in PicoDrive (maybe the CD + 32x games as well? I've never tried it). In MAME4ALL, I've got MK to work, but the resolution was set up so about 1/3 of the video was cut off. This may be because the original system had a strange resolution. Perhaps that's adjustable in the settings. When you say "the screen goes fuzzy", do you mean the bootup screen? In the games running on that arcade hardware, there's a static screen that shows when you boot up, and a diagnostic screen to go through to get to the actual game.

The game didn't run at full speed for me, but would be playable if the screen orientation was fixed.
The MK games were ported to SNES and Genesis (at least the first two games) - those might run more quickly than the arcade version through MAME.

I believe NBA Jam runs on similar arcade hardware to the MK games, so most of the same apply to them - I think they were also ported to various consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back