Clamshell + Keyboard + Linux Ftw!

danboid

I wanted to give my opinion on the Pandora on these newly created boards but the existing 'Pandora's design' thread made me feel sick - I want absolutely nothing to do with all these posters who have been bad-mouthing the all important clamshell w/ keyboard design decision!

I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU Craig and co. for making the right decision wrt to the clamshell - this was truly the make or break factor for me. It has been very frustrating watching endless UMPC /PDA designs with crappy slide-out keyboards and "break me", super-volatile screens. The only people advocating these designs have never tried using one or forking out for a new screen every other month when it gets cracked in your pocket or bag.

My concerns with the design are this:

KEYBOARD

Please consider the utmost importance of TAB, CTRL and ESC to Linux users - all 3 need their own keys as they are just below ENTER and SPACE in importance!

A/V out

What's that odd, keyhole shaped connector about? I was expecting (hoping for) a standard s-video port? Weren't we promised that we wouldn't need any special cables to do TV out on Pandora?

Otherwise, I think you're onto a winner!

danboid said:
What's that odd, keyhole shaped connector about? I was expecting (hoping for) a standard s-video port? Weren't we promised that we wouldn't need any special cables to do TV out on Pandora?
We won't. The connector is custom to accomodate a wide variety of standards (probably S-Video, Composite and hopefully RGB and/or VGA, as it's called "A/V out", not "TV out") through a bundled adapter cable. I'm guessing the connector also contains the 3.5" audio jack so you can use a pair of headphones without the adapter cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
cappuchok said:
I'm guessing the connector also contains the 3.5" audio jack so you can use a pair of headphones without the adapter cable.
Correct :)

I'm pleased with the design, I had no problems with my Zaurus and it had smaller keys and screen, so this should be just perfect.

I actually think that you have managed to make my portable AMIGA dream come true finally... I've been waiting for years :p

I need to know exactly what type of cable is used for TV out - is it a standard cable?

Undecided on the location of that AV port...

Yes, I agree! This is looking very much like the Zaurus made perfect which, if the build quality of Pandora can be as good as the Zaurus cxxxx range then we will have our LONG awaited 'pocket Amiga' Commodore / Linux fans!

Hallelujah! :D

I'm surprised people are surprised, you didn't just expect another generic PSP clone from us did you? :)

We are very much enjoying reading these threads, we have already made some tweaks to the design. And if you are thinking WTF... just give it a few days to grow on you.

craigix said:
I'm surprised people are surprised, you didn't just expect another generic PSP clone from us did you? :)

We are very much enjoying reading these threads, we have already made some tweaks to the design. And if you are thinking WTF... just give it a few days to grow on you.
Hi, I had to sign up just to make sure I could also pass on my views.

I really like the design, the only thing that worries me is that there were no braces on the keyboard, I think it would be a useful novelty to be able to develop and compile easily on the Pandora itself. Hence, braces are a must but upon viewing a slightly different render of the Pandora it has become apparent to be that it does indeed have braces. This is most excellent in my opinion.

Secondly, due to the way the device is designed and the touchscreen is on the top of the device, would this not make it difficult to use? I know the DS touchscreen would likely be completely useless on the upper segment of the device rather than the lower one.

Finally, I really like the layout and when people say that analogue nubs appear to be too far in, I think they are misinterpreting the size of the device.

Good work, I'll be buying one if only to develop for it.

Pete.

danboid said:
Both the AV socket and DC in should be on the opposite side of the device
Yeah, and then we get the same complainings we had with the gp2x - that a headphone socket should be on the lower side of the device, as it is with the PSP, DS, GBA, GB, etc.

Last edited:
People are always reluctant to embrace the new. A lot of us (me included!) expected a traditional gaming handheld design ala GP2X or PSP and were initially put off by the new offering. However, in a matter of minutes after first seeing it I began to appreciate it more and more. It looks great to me now, and its practicality and functionality is truly commendable. The amount of things you guys managed to fit in it surpasses in complexity anything else I've seen so far out there, and the fact that it's not larger than a GP2X is simply fantastic. With a large screen, gaming controls, full keyboard, and wifi, this will be the ultimate pocket computer to take with you everywhere for any purpose.

As far as aesthetics, I'm sure the real thing will look much better than a mock-up 3D render. Renderings always have an overly-plastic look that make them look more toy-ish than what the real product will look like. As for the colours, a combination of black and some dark grays would be the most sensible in my opinion. Maybe you guys (Craig & co) could decide on four or five colour schemes that you think would work best, and open a poll here for selecting the most desired one.

The Pandora is something to really look forward to. All the best :)

I suppose we ought to have Samsung throw together a fuel call for this super machine so we only have to charge or replace the batteries every month or so.

Wouldn't it be nice if sprint/nextel let us borrow some of their WiMax technology for this baby. WiMax SD card in the spare slot. lol, the real funny thing is these are possibilities now.

Squidge said:
cappuchok said:
I'm guessing the connector also contains the 3.5" audio jack so you can use a pair of headphones without the adapter cable.

But you're in trouble when you put the Device in your pocket and want to hear Music. ;) For this problem, there should be a 2. Headphone Jack at the small side for vertical usage...like all these mp3 IPod clones have.
From GP2X we know, Headphones pluged into the long sides of such an device always make trouble in Pockets, even with an 90° Plug.

fusion_power said:
Squidge said:
cappuchok said:

But you're in trouble when you put the Device in your pocket and want to hear Music. ;) For this problem, there should be a 2. Headphone Jack at the small side for vertical usage...like all these mp3 IPod clones have.
From GP2X we know, Headphones pluged into the long sides of such an device always make trouble in Pockets, even with an 90° Plug.

2nd.

craigix said:
if you are thinking WTF... just give it a few days to grow on you.
Alex. said:
People are always reluctant to embrace the new. A lot of us (me included!) expected a traditional gaming handheld design ala GP2X or PSP and were initially put off by the new offering. <snip> The amount of things you guys managed to fit in it surpasses in complexity anything else I've seen so far out there, and the fact that it's not larger than a GP2X is simply fantastic. With a large screen, gaming controls, full keyboard, and wifi, this will be the ultimate pocket computer to take with you everywhere for any purpose.

<snip>

The Pandora is something to really look forward to. All the best :)
Glad there are some people with sense around here, among all the moaning and complaining. :D
I think everyone got this picture in their head, and when they saw the render it, of course, does not match what they expected.

Well done and thanks guys :) I'd like it in Amiga colours that would be so cool, Amiga grey/white with a few grey sidekeys ;)

Sorry I gave you a hard time before aside from the shoulders I think this is pretty much perfect, you're right about the few days to let the idea sink in!

Admittedly I did think WTF when I first the design but I think that was because I had a different mental image of it over the past couple of months (similar to the Sony UX).

Honestly, the more I think about it, it isn't as bad as I initially thought and seems relatively usable considering the DS has similar button placements.

Will we have a complete, GPL (or MIT or BSD) glx / exa / DRI or whatever other accelerated X11 gfx 2/3D server on release?

Any word on the clock speed?

I wonder about the drivers too.

Anyways EvilDragon said on the German board that the default clock will be probably( he wasn't 100% sure) 800MHz for the CPU and some 1,8GHz for the GPU (don't get too exited, thats pretty much just a number).

Oh and the battery will have 4700mAh (@3,7V I guess).

Back