Clavier + Software/ Pyra's Os integration? Question for ED

Faust

Very Active Member
Hi,

I had this software on "port request" section but I want the personnal opinion of the main Pyra's creator. Would it be possible to add this functionality inside the Pyra's Os instead of only porting it? (Still, it needs to be compiled to work on Omap 5.) And if he would be willing to do it. ED?

"Here a tool that I use on my computer, http://utilfr42.free.fr/util/Clavier.php?sLang=en

"Clavier+ allows to create keyboard shortcuts involving almost any key, including the Windows keys located around the spacebar.

The created shortcuts can be associated to launching programs or writing text.

You always launch the same programs, navigate to the same websites? Create a simple shortcut to do it quicker.

Tired of writing your E-mail address? Create a universal keyboard shortcut to write it: it will work under Word, Excel, and your favorite Internet browser!

Features
  • Create global shortcuts, available in all programs
  • Fast program launching
  • Fast text writing with a single keystroke
  • Small and fast program: only one EXE of less than 100 Kb, no data in the Registry, setup program not required"

it's open source:https://github.com/guilryder/clavier-plus

I know that this software has been designed to work on windows, but I was wondering if it could be possible to port it on Pandora/Pyra?"

I still want everyone opinion.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the desktop environment you end up having on Pyra, it may already have this functionality. For example KDE has "Custom shortcuts" that does all that for you.

Yeah but you have to run those softwares, right?

I mean for xfce4, you need to be on the desktop gui to use the shortcuts, right? If clavier+ works on every gui, it means that you can create a shortcut key to switch gui, for exemple, and you can use it everytime.

So is this a solution preferable for people who switch DEs off and on?

Because otherwise it sounds like bloat atop existing functionality. Which wont be removed/directly replaced (?) and users expect to be there.

Does it do anything better, so that maybe the big DEs would adopt it?

So is this a solution preferable for people who switch DEs off and on?

Because otherwise it sounds like bloat atop existing functionality. Which wont be removed/directly replaced (?) and users expect to be there.

Does it do anything better, so that maybe the big DEs would adopt it?

I'm sorry, I don't know what the word "DEs" means :wacko:

All I know is that software is great, you can use up to three keys at the same time to create a shortcut, or you can ask the software to create a complex shortcut and shortcut it on simple key/combo key (for exemple hit  maj+f1 to shortcut <+!+), or you can map a key that you don't use to have a new use. It's a good software to personalise your own keyboard, you can use your shortcuts under every circumstances. You can even map action like turn off/on bluetooth, low brightness, etc....

If the functionality is implemented in the Desktop Environment (DE), then it works in every program you run. KDE and Xfce are desktop environments, and they contain this functionality. You will, on the Pyra, have the ability to select one of these DEs.

Structurally, a DE can somewhat be explained as "The part of the operating system or operating environment that deals with desktops, windows, input and output" (and yes, I know that this could technically be more specific - I'm going for the general explanation here, OK, wizard people?). To say that this affects all programs that run under that DE is a bit like saying, on a windows machine, that this works on every program that run under windows. That is, for every normal use case.

f the functionality is implemented in the Desktop Environment (DE), then it works in every program you run. KDE nd Xfce are desktop environments, and they contain this functionality. You will, on the Pyra, have the ability to select one of these DEs.

Structurally, a DE can somewhat be explained as "The part of the operating system or operating environment that deals with desktops, windows, input and output" (and yes, I know that this could technically be more specific - I'm going for the general explanation here, OK, wizard people?). To say that this affects all programs that run under that DE is a bit like saying, on a windows machine, that this works on every program that run under windows. That is, for every normal use case.

Thanks for the explanation!

Well if there is something as complete as clavier+ that is integrated inside the DE, clavier + isn't useful. As I don't own a Pandora, I was only thinking about things that could be useful. So you can already map anything you want on your keyboard with a functionality inside the Pandora? Even code, or you have to go through system files? Here the software let you do it throught an easy visual.

View attachment 12289

Attachments

• clavier.png
    clavier.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 179
  • clavier_EN.png
    clavier_EN.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 172
I'm not sure you can really judge a progamme's usability from screenshots. The KDE config tools always seemed fairly intuative to me.

Quote said:
Is Clavier+ available on Mac, Linux, tablet, smartphone, or any other non-Windows system?

No, Clavier+ works with Windows for PC only. I have no plans to port Clavier+ to Mac, Linux, Android, iOS/iPhone/iPad, Windows Phone, or any other system. I don’t know if these systems offer a Clavier+ equivalent. Porting Clavier+ to another system would require a full rewrite therefore a lot of work.
The author of the program claims that a port would essentially be a rewrite. Most desktop environments also have a similar functionality already, so why bother?
In portable use, you probably won't want to be messing too much with key-combinations on that small keyboard anyways, but maybe that's just me.

I'm not sure you can really judge a progamme's usability from screenshots. The KDE config tools always seemed fairly intuative to me.

Sorry, I mean the visual.

Quote said:
Is Clavier+ available on Mac, Linux, tablet, smartphone, or any other non-Windows system?

No, Clavier+ works with Windows for PC only. I have no plans to port Clavier+ to Mac, Linux, Android, iOS/iPhone/iPad, Windows Phone, or any other system. I don’t know if these systems offer a Clavier+ equivalent. Porting Clavier+ to another system would require a full rewrite therefore a lot of work.
The author of the program claims that a port would essentially be a rewrite. Most desktop environments also have a similar functionality already, so why bother?

In portable use, you probably won't want to be messing too much with key-combinations on that small keyboard anyways, but maybe that's just me.

I'm not agree, It's because it is a small keyboard that we need to be able to use key combination! I'm doing it with a gamepad so yeah, the smaller, the more I need. The way to custom it to be more accurate is a matter of taste.

I don't know what the word "DEs" means :wacko:

Desktop environment, of which there are many to pick from, Xfce, LXDE, LXqt, KDE, etc, all of which feature this functionality built in.

As for hotkeys, the pyra keyboards problem is that FN is way to easy to press, being on a shoulder, and that it then cant be used in conjunction with the standard set of FN+combos.

Sorry, I mean the visual.

Quote said:

I'm not agree, It's because it is a small keyboard that we need to be able to use key combination! I'm doing it with a gamepad so yeah, the smaller, the more I need. The way to custom it to be more accurate is a matter of taste.
his main point was tgat its not available for linux.

Back