Clonekeen32

A600

Certified Guru
CloneKeen32

v1.1: Sound Added

CloneKeen is an almost almost complete open-source clone of
the old classic DOS game, Commander Keen: Invasion of the
Vorticons by ID Software. CloneKeen requires the original game
data files to work. You can play all three episodes of the game.

Copy the Commander Keen episodes 1-2-3 files to gpmm/ckeen

It doesn't have sound fx but I'll try to add it for next version.

This GP32 port, runs fullspeed at 133 Mhz.

CONTROLS

[Pad] Movement
Use PogoStick
[A] Jump / [ENTER]
[SELECT] Show info screen
[RSHOULDER] Fire Weapon
[LSHOULDER] Save game
[START] [ESCAPE]

CloneKeen32

Sourcecode

ckeen.jpg

Can anyone tell my why you don`t have Guru status???

Since my gp2x is still broke, I can enjoy Commander Keen on my GP32 now!
This is sooooo great, thanks a lot, A600!

EDIT:
I just tried it on my Blu+ and I have to say, it runs much to fast... Are there any options for the game like framelimiter or frameskip?

I just tried it on my Blu+ and I have to say, it runs much to fast... Are there any options for the game like framelimiter or frameskip?

The speed seems right to me but I haven't played Commander Keen in the old days so I dunno.

Be sure not to use the Demo option or let a demo start, because it seems to break the speed.

Anyway, I have uploaded a 100 MHz version. Try it and tell me how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. Thank you very much. Commander Keen was one of 1st games I played after switching from TI99/4A to PC. Any yes, you really should get the Guru status!

too bad that it only plays level 1-3, but thats not your fault.

I don`t think that you can only play level 1-3, but episode 1-3. A long long time ago game publisher like Apogee released their games in episodes. Episode 1 was released like a demo today and if you bought the game you got episode 2 and 3.

I've updated CloneKeen.

- Added a speed option (default is 10)
- Added [ENTER] key needed to close some message boxes ([A] button)
- Changed control layout, now fire is and use pogostick is [SELECT]

Download the new version from the same link posted in the first message.

Thanks A600, strangely, I got it to work by running the Non+ version, which ran normal speed and then running the + version again. That fixed it, dunno why, maybe a config file...

I totally hate it that none of these were released when I had a GP32. A week ago!
Damn you ALL! I shall have my sweet vengeance.

Wow, thank you for this wonderfull port, A600! :)

It's a shame that there are no sound fx yet, but honestly I never thought I'd see the day when I could play Keen on the GP32, so I'm happy that I can play it full speed even without any sound. I just have one request - since I use the pogo a LOT more than I use the gun in the game, would it be possible to move the pogo to "B", the gun to "R" and the menu to "Select"? That way all of the needed buttons are within easy reach - it's rather difficult to do the pogo+jump combination when you have to move your thumb half an inch from the Select to the B button.

For all the rest of you, once you're finished the original games check out the 60+ Keen Mods over here:
http://www.keengrid.net/ckgalaxy/tgmm.php

Some more stuff over here as well, including level packs:
http://dosclassics.com/keen/

Hmm, I just thought of something - would it be possible to add support for all of those MODS into CloneKeen so that it would automatically recognize how many mods you have and let you choose the one you want to play? Maybe we could keep the files for the different mods in different directories within the cKeen folder instead of replacing all of the original files every time we want to play a new one - which would be a lot more tedious on the GP32 than it was on the PC... so maybe a little menu could pop up and ask you to choose a directory, and it'll then use the files from whichever directory you choose. Is that possible? :unsure:

Esn posted on Feb 1 2006 at 03:01 PM said:
Wow, thank you for this wonderfull port, A600! :)

It's a shame that there are no sound fx yet, but honestly I never thought I'd see the day when I could play Keen on the GP32, so I'm happy that I can play it full speed even without any sound. I just have one request - since I use the pogo a LOT more than I use the gun in the game, would it be possible to move the pogo to "B", the gun to "R" and the menu to "Select"? That way all of the needed buttons are within easy reach - it's rather difficult to do the pogo+jump combination when you have to move your thumb half an inch from the Select to the B button.

Ok. I'll change the control layout. I never played Commander Keen so I thought that's the best controls :)

btw, I've noticed the guru status. Many thanks!!!

Clonekeen32 updated with the control layout suggested by Esn.

A600 posted on Feb 5 2006 at 12:48 AM said:
Clonekeen32 updated with the control layout suggested by Esn.
I haven't tried it yet, but thanks. :) I have a few questions, though:

1) How can I read the readme.gp32 file? The readme.txt file seems to be designed for the Windows version of Clonekeen and isn't very helpfull.
2) Do I put all of my Keen files from the 3 games in the same folder? I've done that but it seems to automatically start with "Keen1" every time.
3) How about my idea for the mods? Perhaps instead of putting all of the Keen files in the ckeen folder, we could make subfolders within the ckeen folder and put all of our different Keen versions there, and then when we start clonekeen it could give us a choice on which we want to play. This is like an emulator, after all, since there are more than 60 different games (mods) based on the Keen engine. :) This is probably a lot of work, I know, but it's a nice idea (although I'm very thankfull for what you've done already)! This would fix problem #2 as well.

Esn posted on Feb 5 2006 at 10:36 AM said:
[1) How can I read the readme.gp32 file?  The readme.txt file seems to be designed for the Windows version of Clonekeen and isn't very helpfull.

I dunno. I've never used the Windows Explorer :) because I only use Total Commander.

2) Do I put all of my Keen files from the 3 games in the same folder?  I've done that but it seems to automatically start with "Keen1" every time.

CloneKeen doesn't save settings so you always have to select the episode from the options menu.

3) How about my idea for the mods?  Perhaps instead of putting all of the Keen files in the ckeen folder, we could make subfolders within the ckeen folder and put all of our different Keen versions there, and then when we start clonekeen it could give us a choice on which we want to play.  This is like an emulator, after all, since there are more than 60 different games (mods) based on the Keen engine.  :)  This is probably a lot of work, I know, but it's a nice idea (although I'm very thankfull for what you've done already)!  This would fix problem #2 as well.

I tried 4 or 5 mods and none worked properly. Maybe you should contact the CloneKeen programmer and ask him to add support for mods.

Ah Total Commander, one of the best tools there are.

Do you plan on adding sound soon? I saw that the gp2x version has sound already :(

Back