Clonk Planet For Gp2x 0.1 - Public Beta

Daid

Website
Visit site
Without optimalizations of any kind, I present you:

Clonk Planet for the GP2x.

Read about Clonk here:
http://www.clonk.de/contents_en.html

I've included the compleet Clonk Planet Freeware version, for compleetness sake because the GP2x frontend is very limited, and you directly have all the data files. (GP2x frontend only allows you to run a scenario, that's it)
I also included the 'old' Knight and Harzard addons, they where free for download, but I cannot find them on the clonk site anymore.

Download: http://daid.mine.nu/pub/Clonk2X.rar

Happy clonking.

This is so awesome!
I already killed myself by digging below a sea, blowing myself up, getting killed by various animals and so on. :)

I just downloaded it. Soon to test it out. Once I find the second part of my charger to my batteries.

Daid, from now on you are my absolute hero. I have been playing Clonk since I was 14 years old (I am 21 now). I still play clonk today... please tell me where I can donate for your efforts!!!

Seriously, this is a killer app for the gp2x. We should actually send an email to the developers (Redwolf entertainment). Maybe they can post a link on their news page and do a little advertizing for us ;-) I think I have a CD somewhere which still has all the old clonk planet stuff on it. I will try to find out where it is and maybe upload some of the best scenarios and object packs to the archive.

I would like to try and maybe code a frontend to it. I think I could manage to do that. I don`t have anything to do right now and I would really like to contribute.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 3 2006 at 09:08 PM said:
I would like to try and maybe code a frontend to it. I think I could manage to do that. I don`t have anything to do right now and I would really like to contribute.
Code of the engine and my minimal frontend can be found here:
http://daid.mine.nu/pub/clonk2x_source.rar (tiny bit newer then the release, as I made it quit on 'game over' now, and did some other minor changes)

Right now I want to find out what is 'hanging' it every second or so. See if improvements can be made there.

I also didn't compile with the hardware accelerated SDL libs, so you might gain speed there.

please tell me where I can donate for your efforts!!!
It was pretty easy because this guy:
http://v-lo.krakow.pl/~anszom/clonk/index.en.shtml
did alot of work already.

Main things I did was fixing the BMP loader and changing the font from the SDL_ttf to a simple bitmaped font.

I don't feel like exepting donations right now. Maybe if I made a fully functional frontend :)

Last edited by a moderator:
oh well, okay. Then keep up the good work. I guess a big thank you will suffice for now then.
I am looking forward to this thing progressing.

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 3 2006 at 10:25 PM said:
I am looking forward to this thing progressing.
Hacking in some volume controll now. (Trough the menu, as I need the volume buttons as special action buttons :()
But what else would you like to see?

What is on my todo list:
-Frontend browsing of c4f files
-Frontend player selection
-Frontend player creation
-Testing the saving system

Wow, this is awesome!

I own Clonk Planet for the PC, and now there is a GP2X version!

Didn`t even know it is open source, really cool port!

@daid: I think it could use a little more speed. How about compiling it with HW SDL. That would be quite nice. Then I guess you could try and take out all the networking stuff. I think we won`t be needing that. The split screen routines aswell, since the screen is way too small anyway.

Yea, .c4f browsing would be nice. also a way to activate object packs (rule sets and additional objects) would be nice. I think when this is all done, we are set with a fully supported clonk planet version (as far as possible on a gp2x, i.e. no scripting on the gp2x). This is soooo awesome!

YO Daid! If you want me to do some special button graphics I will do so. I am eager to do something.

EDIT: Weee! I found my old clonk folder on my laptop. It`s the golden wipf engine, but I believe the objects and scenarios are mostly compatible with clonk planet. I will test this later this day and if they work, I will zip em up and maybe you can later on add them, when we can use c4f and c4d already.

EDIT2: How high is the chance that you will be able to add a random map generator at some point? I think it sounds horribly and mortifyingly difficult but it would provide almost endless fun on the go. I am not sure how things like that are done and I could imagine that it needs a lot of float point math. So maybe it`s not quite possible.

EDIT3: I made a little clonk planet 2x title screen. Nothing really fancy, just the old splash screen image and a cute little "2X" added.
clonktitle2x.png

xnopasaranx posted on Sep 4 2006 at 10:15 AM said:
YO Daid! If you want me to do some special button graphics I will do so. I am eager to do something.
Feel free to do anything you feel like doing =D

EDIT2: How high is the chance that you will be able to add a random map generator at some point? I think it sounds horribly and mortifyingly difficult but it would provide almost endless fun on the go. I am not sure how things like that are done and I could imagine that it needs a lot of float point math. So maybe it`s not quite possible.
Well, as soon as I figure out how to write c4* files (all those c4f, c4s have the same internal structure, they are just like zip files, and for rand generated scenarions you just need to write a text file in it)

EDIT3: I made a little clonk planet 2x title screen. Nothing really fancy, just the old splash screen image and a cute little "2X" added.
clonktitle2x.png
Nice :D

I managed to improve speed quite a bit already, because there was a buildin fixed delay somewhere, of 10 mili seconds (probly because the linux version was running to fast on fast machines) I also found out what causes the 'hanging' for a sec every now and then. It's loading sounds then. Sounds got unloaded after 1 minute of not being used. I changed that to 10 minutes and that really solves problem mostly.

I've added an extra menu under the select key that can access extra options (currently only the volume can be ajusted there)

I suggest playing games that don't require power, or only build powerplants because windmills are a huge slowdown because of the rotating sprite. (and it looks like it even tries to draw it when it's offscreen) I'll try to optimize this a bit.
EDIT: By changing the double to integer calculations I saved alot of speed =D

AcidiC posted on Sep 4 2006 at 12:37 PM said:
Is this fullspeed?
Is this worth not studying for tomorrow's chemistry test??
No, the first version is a bit laggy...

AcidiC posted on Sep 4 2006 at 12:37 PM said:
Is this fullspeed?
Is this worth not studying for tomorrow's chemistry test??

Chemistry will be here forever but we not, so I would try Clank rather. :)

Will be some kind of Exit in next version? It's annoying to reset gp2x everytime you want to change level.
Is it normal, that you have to push down to stop Clank from moving? Volume control will be good too. All in all it looks as very nice game.

I actually always wanted to play clonk ( since I saw the preview movie for the new game on youtube... WOW! ) but I own a mac and so I wasn't able to do that. Now, beeing able to play it on the gp2x, I'm quite happy with it. I don't really know what to do since I always was alone in a level, but I just tried two random levels without reading the readme or so, I hadn't got any time.
So if anyone could tell me some good starting points with playing, I haven't found any infos how to get started, I just walked around, trying to kill some sharks just to later flood the sea with oil.

But one thing I found really annoying was the 'Walk right until press down' thing. I'm not confortable with the gameplay mechanics neither the original game, but I don't think this is too user-friendly. But Maybe there is a good reason for this which I just haven't seen yet.

Anyway, I'm absolutely happy about someone porting it, this will get a fantastic gp2x game for sure! After it has reached a good level of usability and all the features are included, this will definitly be a must have!

Thanks a lot, Daid and also xnopasaranx who ( probably, don't know.. ) brought the original open source game to the community's minds. And who also seems to be quite enthousiastic about this project ;)

So, please keep on the good work, and thanks again Daid, Good Luck with the project.

PS [Edit] : Is any of the links you posted getting updated now and then? It's annoying to get thrown out everytime you're game over.
This thing also is pretty dangerous for my geography exams tomorrow.. But I probably will just copy the book onto the calculator and uses this to write a nice test.

Back