Clonk2x... Possible Implementation Of Opengl?

___

Advanced Member
Since Daid was so amazingly nice to port clonk planet to the 2x, I have been playing it a lot but I wondered if it would be possible to take the project a step further and actually port a newer version using opengl (that would be "clonk rage"). We have got egoboo running using the second processor and software opengl so could it be possible for the clonk port? Not only would it look a lot nicer, I think we could also gain a crapload of speed utilizing the 2nd cpu. Also they have reworked the control scheme which is now more jump'n'run oriented so it would be easier to play and so on.

Anyone who knows their trade, is this possible?

The guys from redwolf design who developed clonk in the first place offered to give out the source for devs (they have got one running under linux using sdl and opengl), even for the latest build. Since all object packs, maps and scenarios are available for the latest build only, I think it would be great to have it.

www.clonk.de

EDIT: Dammit... just had a look at the requirements of clonk rage and I don't think it could be done. Way too high!

Anyway, the new control scheme should be really easy to implement. If someone would be so nice to have a look, download the latest clonk rage beta and see how the clonks are controlled. It's quite simple and I think it could be changed easily.

I contacted the RedWolf Design people when I made my Clonk2x port. They told me they where working on this version. However, with all the OpenGL usage, I don't think it would work on the GP2x. The GFX have been scaled up (and scaling down usualy means uglyness) And depend a whole lot on alpha blending (which is a diffent deal then triangle rendering I guess?)

Ofcourse I could be wrong and the 2nd CPU is up to speed for it, I do not know about the current speed of the OpenGL implementation.

And if you compair the ClockPlanet (my port) requirements to the Rage requirements, then the system needs to be faster. And the GP2x hardly pulls the planet port.

yeah, I got my doubts aswell. But we don't need all the graphics mambo jambo, changing the controls to the easier new way of controlling clonks would be rad. It would just make it way more comfortable and less frustrating to play on the gp2x!

i actually found it frustrating to play even on the pc as well :ph34r:

there's just so much to learn before you can start doing things!

but still a really neat and original game. it just needs its own custom keyboard, or clonkboard :)

Back