Colors Are Messed Up

john4p

Used some app with framebuffer hardware scaling earlier today which worked fine.

But later when I wanted to do something in XFCE I noticed that now all of the Pandora's colors are distorted. :angry:
It looks like the palette maybe was reduced from 16bpp to 8bpp.

Resetting the Pandora didn't help.
Then I shut it down and booted again. No change. Colors are still messed up.

Is there some way to restore the Pandora to its "factory default settings"? Or is there another solution to this?

Though I may be mistaken, this actually sounds to me to be rather like the LCD cable problem.

Also, I hope you don't mind, but I think this should be in the "I need help" section. ;)

I bet it's not the LCD cable. I've noticed now that most colors are still correct.

There are artifacts around fonts. Tiny white pixels in fonts and icons.

edit: Thanks @joseluisjazz for the links! Those issues don't sound like my gfx problems though (screen angle doesn't matter).

I'm pretty sure the video driver don't support 8bpp.
So I would go with a reflash.
And if that don't work then RMA (but that wouldn't be a good news to Amiga peps :p)

Thanks WizardStan, that was what I was looking for.

Just reflashed and started the Pandora again - but the gfx were still messed up.

So I resetted and reflashed it yet AGAIN.

After the reflash I took the battery out for about a half minute. Put it back in and started the Pandora: gfx are now perfectly fine again!

Should this happen again I'll try to just shutdown the Pandora and remove the battery instead of doing a reflash.

Thanks @all.

Damn, now I'll have to download and install all those dev packs again (well, still better than RMA).

Hmmm, guess something in the Pandora was remembering something between power offs; removing the battery forces it to reset, whatever it was.
Is it worth adding to the tweaks thread? "If all else fails (or even before other things have a chance to fail) remove the battery for 30 seconds" or something like that?

Well, it just happened again. :angry:

Shutting down, removing the battery twice for about 30 seconds then didn't help.

After removing it for a couple of minutes now finally the colors are correct again. I hope this won't get a permanent problem.
Currently everything is perfect - but for how long?

Yes, I think it'd be worth adding "remove the battery for a while" to the trouble shooting section.

@Stan
It's something for the bugtracker, imo. If it happens more often and no solution is found I'll add it to the Tweaks Thread :)

edit:
I just remembered an other thread, where something similar happened. It turned out to be an LCD cable problem, IIRC. The display wasn't initialized properly or some such thing.

I remember it too, mali. I think some people started seeing washed colors, or something like 8bpp colors, and later it degenerated to depend on screen angle, loosing the green, loosing the backlight, so it was in crescendo until it became unusable. I still think is the LCD cable.

It would help to know when did you received your unit, john4p. If you were one of the first (2-3?) hundred, it's a given the screen cable is defective.

Damn, I think mali and you're right. Shut it down again for a while and now that it's on the wrong colors are back.

Seems like I won't have a choice but to send it back.

I've received my Pandora on June 4th (serial number ...176). It was one of the first to be shipped from ED in Germany.

john4p said:
Damn, I think mali and you're right. Shut it down again for a while and now that it's on the wrong colors are back.

Seems like I won't have a choice but to send it back.

I've received my Pandora on June 4th (serial number ...176). It was one of the first to be shipped from ED in Germany.

Yeah, only the first ones had that problem eventually :(
You can be sure I will hurry up fixing it :)

You know I'm an Amiga fan myself :D

Last edited:
Great, thanks. :)

(Btw., I know you quickly fix every Pandora that gets sent back. ;))

Prometheus, Jose and mali were correct - it was the LCD cable. Now it's fixed (replaced?) and everything working perfectly again.

Thanks a lot for the very fast repair, ED! :)

Congratulations on having your Pandora back. :D And congratulations to ED for what may be one of the fastest repairs in history. :lol:

Prometheus said:
Congratulations on having your Pandora back. :D And congratulations to ED for what may be one of the fastest repairs in history. :lol:

It was one day late - I just missed UPS pickup by 5 minutes :D

Last edited:
Back