Concidering a laptop for early next year.

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
Could any of you point me in the right direction?

I would like it to:

1) Be able to play Civ 5, SC2, and the upcoming 'Project Spark' at close to if not max settings.

2) Obviously it needs to be Win 8 in order to run Project Spark.

3) Have a touch screen

4) Have a digitizer layer

5) At least 6gb ram (prefer 8)

6) At least 500gb HDD (prefer 1tb)

7) Be useable in tablet mode.

What kind of budget?

I don't know about Civ 5, but have you looked at Surface Pro 2?

Win8.1

Wacom active digitizer.

It does come in an 8GB RAM with 512GB SSD, but don't think you can upgrade either yourself very easily.

Battery life meant to be pretty decent too, over 8hr use.

Think has 10 point multi touch.

Don't think they come too cheap though.

Can't really help with other options though, not anything I've looked into recently but I just had this on mine as one of my customers i see the other week had one and it looked pretty nice

Yeah, at the moment that seems to be the best option. My only concern is the integrated graphics... I know it will run all 3 of those games, but I don't know how well.

The way I see it... my budget is whatever it needs to be... and if what I want costs that much, it just means I have to wait longer to get it.

*which is why I've been waiting yeeeeears to get the right laptop*

I was actually wondering if there might be a convertible laptop out there that ticked all the boxes but had a dedicated graphics card...

Can't seem to find one with a wacom digitizer...

If this laptop will be used mainly as a work computer (you need this touchscreen because you are art designer), get yourself a Wacom convertible laptop (for sure there will be Wacom Thinkpad in 2015 from Lenovo).

If this laptop will be used as a entertainment computer (you need this touchscreen because you just wanted it) your idea is wrong ... so wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this laptop will be used mainly as a work computer (you need this touchscreen because you are art designer), get yourself a Wacom convertible laptop (for sure there will be Wacom Thinkpad in 2015 from Lenovo).

If this laptop will be used as a entertainment computer (you need this touchscreen because you just wanted it) your idea is wrong ... so wrong.
Actually, I want it as a desktop replacement... and so I don't have to carry my Cintiq with me. I'm often on the road for extended periods of time, and would like to be able to use my graphics software without any feeling of limitation. So it would be for work AND entertainment.

But I was looking through that list and did a search on each likely candidate.... none of them are quite right.

I don't think there is a laptop out at the moment that fits my requirements.

If I were forced to get one now I would just get a gaming laptop and take my Cintiq with me... then I don't need the digitizer layer. ... or for it to be useable in tablet mode.

I'll wait till next year and see if that Thinkpad you mention will fit the bill.

If you're looking to buy something early next year the best advice I can give is to wait and see what is available. The chances are that what looks like a good choice now might not look so good in a years time.

Back