Conflicted.

Jourdy288

Dear OP community,

Over the last few years, you guys have been extremely respectful, kind, and patient with me. I know that I've mostly vanished (been hard at work in school and learning to be a journalist) and right now, I'm in the middle of a dilemma:

I still want a Pandora, but I'm not sure if it's the right machine for me. I mean, learning to program on the go? Creating a game out of a console? That has *MASSIVE* appeal to me, and it's definitely something I want to do. The thing is, I saw the price of the 1 GhZ Pandora. At current, I'm far away (monetarily) from being able to afford one. I understand that the money's going to an awesome cause- helping out F/OSS technology and independent development- I'm just a little apprehensive. Should I get a job and buy the machine? Should I save my money and wait for the next iteration? I just don't know. Right now my Pandora fund (which was partially fueled by you guys the community :) isn't big enough.

Right now, I'm just going to wait and see how everything turns out. There's a project I'm working on- it's mostly secret- but if it succeeds, it could bring me the cash for a Pandora (and more). If the project turns out right, then I'm definitely buying a Panda ASAP. If not, then what? I'm not sure.

One thing's for certain, though- Open Pandora will be receiving my money. I support them and this community. You guys have invested your time and money in me. One way or another, I'll return the favor.

So OP community, wat do? If the project fails, should I get a job and buy a Panda immediately or wait for the next iteration?

Hey Jourdy, nice to hear you're going your way.

As for the Pandora, ignore the 1GHz SAMPLE units and just get a standard one from the new batch made in Germany.

Jourdy, I suggest you wait till the end of the year and see what's on offer, because by then things will be clearer and easier for you to decide upon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful deciding your future based on a material item and one that will be outdated before you know it. Im not sure how much the job would effect your studies but they should be your focus as that will provide your income for the rest of your real life.

You dont need the 1 Ghz version and a standard 600 Mhz will work fine. Or even an 600 Mhz second hand unit.

You may even want to consider a netbook. I picked up an asus eee for $300, it not as portable as the pandora but it would be more helpful for school and you can do all the same things on it for programming (In my opinion its better with more screen to use and faster builds than a pandora could provide).

If it doesnt have to be portable get something like the Raspberry Pi.

Caanoo is also a very cheap option too for console development type things.

Be careful deciding your future based on a material item and one that will be outdated before you know it. Im not sure how much the job would effect your studies but they should be your focus as that will provide your income for the rest of your real life.
+1

(emphasis mine)

Hey jourdy, its a toughy I would be splitting down the middle myself. What also might be worth considering is you know better than anyone here how hard the standard Pandora's are to get your hands on, so I would imagine these newer trial Pandora's are going to be even tougher to get your hands on and you could end up with a big old wait on your hands if there is a high demand for them. And you of all people have patiently waited a long time already.

Hope all's well your ends.

Greetings everybody :D

I probably wouldn't change my career path for a Panda- gah, I created a wall of insane text again, didn't I?

I appreciate everybody's input though, I guess the best thing to do would be to get a job and keep an eye on the project. Learning to develop is really a long term project, and I'm quite willing to wait for a 1 GhZ unit once they're out of the guinea pig phase. The thing is, it'll be a while before I can afford one to begin with, so by the time I can buy one, the 1 GhZ model will probably be standard.

You guys all rock, you know that? Thanks for your input :)

Back