Connecting to external speakers..?

andyhamer

Would it be possible to connect a couple of (what i'm presuming are standard L/R audio in cables) from the (antiquated) stereo in my place of work (there is only so much free newspaper CD compilations, a person can tolerate!) & use my Pandora as a music player that way.

I have a couple of the superb little XMI X-mini 2 speakers (which are plug and play) that i use when i am out and about, but they aren't really suitable at work.

If this is possible, what cable/s would i need to connect external (large) speakers to the Pandora..?

Thanks.

This may sound dumb, but couldn't you just use a audio in cable, or something?

I know walmart carries some little audio cord funpack that has about 10 different connectors and what nots, for the most part, with audio stuff, its just match the shapes.

Yes. Depending on the speakers, you can either use (or make) some headphone adapter cables, or you may have to use the line out on the EXT port.

I do believe that Klaus is thinking right here, but just to be sure:

It will do no good to connect the pandora to just ordinary speakers. That is, you can't tuck the cable from an ordinary passive hifi speaker into the pandora and expect it to work.

You can, however, connect the pandora to an amplifier that, in turn, is connected to the speakers, and get very good results. I have a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug in one end and a pair of red/black RCA connectors at the other end, that are plugged into the "tape B" or whatever input on my old stereo. I plug this into the pandora headphone jack and everything works (given that all volume controls are suitably cranked).

As I said above, I imagine you all knew this, but just to be sure... :)

I do believe that Klaus is thinking right here, but just to be sure:

It will do no good to connect the pandora to just ordinary speakers. That is, you can't tuck the cable from an ordinary passive hifi speaker into the pandora and expect it to work.

You can, however, connect the pandora to an amplifier that, in turn, is connected to the speakers, and get very good results. I have a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug in one end and a pair of red/black RCA connectors at the other end, that are plugged into the "tape B" or whatever input on my old stereo. I plug this into the pandora headphone jack and everything works (given that all volume controls are suitably cranked).

As I said above, I imagine you all knew this, but just to be sure... :)
How about an EXT cable with built in amps powered off the USB port. May not generate the wattage needed to drive regular speaker but it's a neat idea.

Back