Cool Spot

OhCrap

Still Fresh
Well this is my first review , and in this review i decided to review "Cool Spot" for the SNES.....and its
cool.....

Graphics [9/10] The game is for the most part pretty good on the graphics side. The Characters in the game are very well animated. The game definitely draws you in with its laid-back cool feeling. The designers made everything fit well so you feel like you're a tiny little man.

Audio[8/10] The music in this game is......uh....well...cool. It has that "cool" feeling to it and even fits with spots "lethargic bastard" swagger... which is cool. The music is done by Tommy Tallarico (From G4 TV 's electronic playground, judgement day) and is composed very well. The voice overs, However, loike spot yelling 'OK!" sound very low quality......not cool.

Story[7/10] Probably the most uncool thing about the game is the story. Apparently Spot's buddies have been kidnapped and youve gotta save them. Who locked them up we dont know, and why his "buddies" arent doing their jobs looking pretty on seven up cans we dont know either. What we do know is that you spend most of your time dicking around looking for red spots to prove youre cool enough to free your "buddies". Again we have no idea who spot is proving his coolness to...and what locked the "spots" up but who cares eh?

Gameplay/Overall[9/10] Well in all this is a good game. It may be kid oriented but it also happens to be unusually challenging. After playing a few levels filled with crabs, toys, and mice in pajamas (no im not kidding) youll find a good game worth trying out on your GP32.

And thats cool.

coolspotbeta200206021630421ol.png

coolspotbeta200206021630516yy.png

coolspotbeta200206021631056oh.png

Did you know this game was actually a blatant promotion for 7-Up?

The surfing on the 7-up bottle was the best think ever(not in all versions). The spot in question is the spot in the logo(I guess you knew that). It was blatent promotion done right(pushover being the only other one I remember), I'm amazed they are not offering it free now.If I remember the different versions has a different logo screen where you could do different things. I know you could pratt around with the logo on one. Never got past the level of mouses and cheeses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review.

I always like Cool Spot. Does anyone know if there are differences between this and the Genesis version?

EDIT: Had no idea Tommy Tallarico had involvement in the game industry. Regardless, he's a terrible game reviewer.

I got pretty far in the SMS version on my gp32 one time, was a really fun game and I'm surre the snes one is better

I remember the very first spot game, it was way before 7up took on the character and had gameplay rather like Reversi (Othello). When you jumped over the opponents counters, your red discs would turn into our beloved spot character and pole vault or moon walk etc.

I like Cool Spot too, but it can get a little difficult at times. Nice review though.

On another note, the fact the Cool Spot is a blatant advertisement for 7Up doesn't bother me. Neither did the fact that Zool was advertising Chuppa Chups or James Pond II (Robocod) was advertising Penguin bars.

Tommy Tallarico has also written the music for Earthworm Jim 1 & 2, so he definitely has some involvement in the video game music industry...
Isn't there a Tommy Tallarico on these boards?

Its still a great game, even if it is a promotion. The only level i hate is the train level, which gives me a headache.

i remember renting this from blockbuster before it went out of business up the street. probally cause they sucked. this used to be one of my favorite games, next to phlanx and metroid.

w00t.

I remember the very first spot game, it was way before 7up took on the character and had gameplay rather like Reversi (Othello). When you jumped over the opponents counters, your red discs would turn into our beloved spot character and pole vault or moon walk etc.

I like Cool Spot too, but it can get a little difficult at times. Nice review though.

On another note, the fact the Cool Spot is a blatant advertisement for 7Up doesn't bother me. Neither did the fact that Zool was advertising Chuppa Chups or James Pond II (Robocod) was advertising Penguin bars.

Or the various McDonald's games out there...
MC Kids on the NES (great)
Ronald McDonald's Treasure Land (a classy Megadrive game by Treasure)
Mick & Mack - Global Gladiators (multi-format with blatant advertising and environmentalist propaganda, but still a great shooting game with great music)

And also not forgetting the Fido Dido game (7-Up again) and the Chester the Cheetah game (Cheetos) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back