Cooling?

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
What will the Pandora's cooling situation be?

I assume that the power-saving features of the OMAP3430 will keep the heat output to a minimum. Will there be a fan?

Will we be able to play it in extreme temperatures, like 32 degrees (Farenheit) and 100 degrees (Farenheit)?

Will leaving it on a bed matter?

Will it get hot/warm?

Thats a question I've been thinking about as well. I doubt there will be a need for a micro fan. I am assuming that since Pandora's would not really contain any moving parts and power is consumed only when a process needs it there shouldn't be a problem in that area. Of coarse, the battery creates heat so it could be as warm as maybe a DS phat? But then again this is where the OMAP comes into play.

Is that a fair assessment?

atomicthumbs said:
Game_over said:
battery creates heat
only when charging
Not true! They generate a lot more heat when charging, but if there's current flowing, there's heat.
If you want to prove this to yourself, take a AA battery and dead-short it... trust me, it will get hot :)

Last edited by a moderator:
atomicthumbs said:
What will the Pandora's cooling situation be?

I assume that the power-saving features of the OMAP3430 will keep the heat output to a minimum. Will there be a fan?

Will we be able to play it in extreme temperatures, like 32 degrees (Farenheit) and 100 degrees (Farenheit)?

Will leaving it on a bed matter?

Will it get hot/warm?
If experience with the Nokia Internet Tablets is anything to go by, you'll only feel a slight increase in temperature when the battery is charging. In normal use, the tablets only get warm from the temperature of your hand.

Kagato said:
atomicthumbs said:
Game_over said:
battery creates heat
only when charging
Not true! They generate a lot more heat when charging, but if there's current flowing, there's heat.
If you want to prove this to yourself, take a AA battery and dead-short it... trust me, it will get hot :)
Of course it will get hot if you short the frickin battery! :eek:
I wouldn't recommend doing this... :unsure:

The OMAP3430 SoC is specifically designed for high-end cell phones and other handheld devices. If it required active cooling, it would be poorly engineered indeed. While I cannot find any actual thermal output stats, I suspect that it would require a very small passive heatsink at most, and probably not even that.

That's the whole trick with ultra mobile processors like this - cramming in some decent horsepower without sucking down a ton of power and giving off lots of heat. That's why you don't see anything smaller than a UMPC with a x86 processor. They're too inefficient.

To stay at the save side, maybe the chip will get an nice passive Heatspreader, just for emergency cases when a program decides to overclock the chipset at maximum. :)

Well, depends on how much heat it actually produces when overclocked "at maximum". If it's a difference of a couple of degrees (and I suspect it may be for some reason), then there shouldn't be anything to be on the safe side of, should there? It would be like taking out avalanche insurance in the Netherlands! I mean, sure, if there's an avalanche, you get a big payoff, but there aren't any mountains to provide the snow for one!

That said, if it IS a significant difference that might change chip operation, then obviously you're right. I'm sure MWeston has checked the Ti data though to see if one should be necessary.

EDIT: Actually, tbh, I'd expect a significant quantity more heat from the battery than from anything else, given the archetecture. And if that provides enough heat to disrupt things, then it might become an issue. But again, I'm sure they've thought of that...

Back