Could this mean home VR finally?

hehe thats pretty cool.

Just for the hell of it I would have liked a go on the Sega VR system that got scrapped cos it made people puke!

Personally, I remember with fondness the Virtuality system that some arcades and entertainment centres had.

It's difficult to describe it to anyone who's never tried it, but remembering trying it is like having memories of a different "world", where it looked so different, yet very much appeared to be as real as the world around you even so. :p

read about this recently.Could be good. I read article once that said mattel toys had a sort of prototype hoverboard that they were working on.Well of course it was never released. Great Scot

I read article once that said mattel toys had a sort of prototype hoverboard that they were working on.Well of course it was never released. Great Scot
If it wasn't this one, then I'm sorry to tell you that it's a myth. :p

They became so bombarded with questions about it after the movie, that some of their telephone-squad with a sense of humour would tell people to wait until 2015, though. :lol:

You know what I want this for? First person films.

Imagine how awesome that could be.

You could design essentially a pair of glasses for people to wear which records everything they do in, say, an evening.

Put these on some crazy people or people with interesting jobs (Pursuit Police, bouncers, those guys who jump off mountains in wing suits) and you have

the potential for some seriously interesting first person footage.

Then I start to wonder how terrifying horror films could be in this format.

Yes, this has been my dream for a while.

^ That's the sort of thinking that those who make films don't seem to be coming up with.

I think there are still plenty of interesting ways to use the medium, it's just that the drive to do so seems to be missing at the moment.

I have 15 Year old Videogame Magazines with Articles about available VR Helms, nothing new. They try this stuff every couple of years and usualy it ends back in the nirvana soon. "VFX-1" anyone? ;)

http://museum.bounce...g.net/vfx1.html

I actualy don't see what Sony makes believe they will now have success with this stuff, but maybe Sony knows more than we do? ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
It needs a killer app or a killer first person movie, I think what would work would be a horror film, imagine that in first person with the sort of surround sound you would get from the helmet.

I can imagine the fear factor being 1000% higher in first person, imagine something like 'The Grudge' in first person, the film in real time. Absolutely terrifying. It would be a new medium.

I read article once that said mattel toys had a sort of prototype hoverboard that they were working on.Well of course it was never released. Great Scot
If it wasn't this one, then I'm sorry to tell you that it's a myth. :p

They became so bombarded with questions about it after the movie, that some of their telephone-squad with a sense of humour would tell people to wait until 2015, though. :lol:
Im pretty sure it was an article in time magazine. Dentists waiting room reading :D Here is the closest thinghttp://www.tech-faq.com/hoverboards.html

I had a go on a VR arcade machine many years ago and I was blown away by it. I've been waiting for a home version ever since. I think I would have to cease my Sony boycott if these ever come out...

The problem with the headsets - I've had a few - is the image isn't a very wide field of view. It's like having a view in a dark room through a window a few feet in front of your face. To really seal the illusion there need to be advances in the optics so the image can fully fill your vision.

Since you're really only likely to use a VR thing at home, there's no real reason why it should be a helmet - a rear projection dome (like an oversized fishbowl you put over your head) with a couple of projectors fitted with lenses that match the dome geometry would be able to give a really convincing VR experience with shutter glasses, although it'd be a much harder sell ;)

On the other hand, OLED at 720p in that Sony, mighty interesting...

Ahhh, sweet nostalgia of Dactyl Nightmare and when I played it at a computer convention springs to mind. Good ol' Amiga 3000 VR game (1000CS)

Ahhh, sweet nostalgia of Dactyl Nightmare and when I played it at a computer convention springs to mind. Good ol' Amiga 3000 VR game (1000CS)
Hah, "Hero" was the one I played, myself. Pretty sure it was an earlier one than Dactyl Nightmare, though.

You know what I want?

Come think of it, disregard that, I just remembered the consequences. Having two sequels that everybody seems to hate just isn't worth it.

But I'm loving this 1st person film idea, would be really cool for intermediate forms of entertainment, i.e. movies with QTEs al la Shenmue...

I'm getting ideas, ideas that I've seen fail but executed properly could change the world....

Ah well off to bed.

Back