Could we get Linus Tech Tips on board?

Have you heard of Linus Tech Tips?

• Yes

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 64.0%

• Total voters

ryan27968

I am sure most of you have heard of LinusTechTips. If not, It is one of the most if not the most popular tech channel on youtube, especially in the gaming hardware scene. ED, would it be possible to get him a review sample? I am certain he would be interested and the best possible thing for the Pyra at the moment is exposure. What does the rest of the community think?

Corresponding topic on Linus Tech Tips forum: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/310926-could-linus-review-the-dragonbox-pyra-when-it-comes-out/

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it that guy? https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

If so: No I haven't heard of him.

I watched a video for two Minutes and I know I don't want to hear any more of him.

If one wants to explain something to people then one has to speak in a way to not be annoying.

A little slower and less irritating gestures would help.

Is it that guy? https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

If so: No I haven't heard of him.

I watched a video for two Minutes and I know I don't want to hear any more of him.

If one wants to explain something to people then one has to speak in a way to not be annoying.

A little slower and less irritating gestures would help.
Yes, thats him, and yes, his voice is very annoying. However, they have a very large viewer base. It would be good exposure for the Pyra.

I dunno, from what I've just seen he seems pretty PC focussed. I'd worry his reaction would be 'no x86? pah!', but I've not watched much of his stuff, so I may be wrong.

I do think the Ashens review did us proud last time, so getting him towards the front of the queue would probably be useful. Perhaps this Linus guy too, but I dunno.

i'd vote ashens! tho i guess he is pretty happy with his panda.

I wonder what's up with his panda nowadays, i'd like to know

I'm not sure this is a good idea, at least in the beginning. I'm having rather uncomfortable memories of Pandora video reviews where the reviewer did not really understand what the target audience for the device was (probably because he wasn't part of the audience himself). I would say, the let Pyras software eco system mature a bit before activly seeking out reviewers with a bigger audience but are not part of the target audience.

That guy is so annoying.

There is other ways to get attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to avoid anything that's not text-based (I find video reviews in the main to be quite pointless, with exceptions being Ashens and Zero Punctuation) to be a chore to watch - I have to devote more time to them than I'm willing and they're mostly just full of shit anyway.

Can't hurt though.

D.

I do remember Dedoimedo's review of the OpenPandora from a few years ago was quite good, and he really seemed to understand the niche nature of the OpenPandora.  I think ED should send another review copy to him once things even out a bit OS and software-wise. 

Reviews 1, 2 and 3

-Glyph Reader

I think people who are on the "right" sites are already going to know and learn about the pyra anyway.

The lure with general sites is it can incite an audience that wouldnt otherwise see it. Even if you are starting out in the world of internets, as im sure we have all done, the right kind of people are drawn towards the most engaging content on their platform. Be it engadget or similar.

Having a family-friendly venue to show it makes it all the less scary right away.

I'm not sure how to prevent it, but it might be a good idea to -not- get additional press coverage until several months into release so that the community has a chance to get the software tested out a bit on the new platform.

What i liked about the pandora coverage was you could order it on the actual day the media caught wind of it, even if it was a preorder. Means things are sorted on your end, rather than you have to do something more.

A almost ready to ship device is even better.

I'm not sure how to prevent it, but it might be a good idea to -not- get additional press coverage until several months into release so that the community has a chance to get the software tested out a bit on the new platform.
yeah, and tune things better before showing it to a wider audience. Whenever the Pyra is going to be out and available, most of what you'll get for it will be alpha-level of quality most likely.  

Pssst we should keep everything secret  till release day and then only allow a hand selected user range to buy it. 

That seems to work for every other company. 

Back