Couple of Qs: Swap Files and Low Power Mode

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
A couple of questions I've been meaning to ask:

1. I used the PND in the repo for creating and activating a swap file, but one thing I'm not sure of, do I need to reactivate the swap file each time I boot up the Pandora?

2. Sometimes I put the Pandora in low power mode, and forget about it, and the battery dies, and the only way you can get it back on is via a proper power charger, rather than a USB cable. Is it possible to get the Pandora to properly shut down when running out of juice even in Low Power mode?

Cheers

From the description:

Did you know that you can customize PND applications you run by creating bash scripts which run before and after the application? Probably. But do you use these scripts a lot? Probably not.

PNDconfig is supposed to make this powerful config option user-friendly. You can configure pre- and post-scripts by selecting actions to be performed from a list. Currently, I have only included actions which I use myself:
- Switch TV out to hardware layer and back (useful for media players and some emulators)
- Switch WIFI on and off (useful for applications which need Internet connection)
- Configure nubs to act as joystick and restore the original configuration
- etc

To get you started, I share configurations which I use on my Pandora. You can quickly apply those to your PNDs and see the results. Then you can customize the configuration of each PND to suit your needs.

Forum thread: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/14338-pndconfig-qa-and-suggestions/

Changes:

v.3

1. Added zram swap actions (enable/disable)
2. Added "configure nubs mode" action
3. Fixed "Restore default nubs mode" action (now uses nubs.state)
4. Added "Activate QJoyPad layout" action
5. Code fixes and cleanups:
.sh extensions for all script files
error checks
chmod a+x on generated scripts
-e to check for file presence
6. Added help file
7. Added system startup script configuration (in Custom script actions)
8. Added TV out enable/disable actions

v.2
3 fixes, 5 new features

v.1
Initial release

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I read the description, I meant how does it help with either of my questions?

The first question is asking if the effect of the swap scripts are permanent or need re-running each boot (which I suppose that PND will help with if it turns out that I need to, but that's not the question)

The second question is about low power mode and doesn't have any references to PNDs

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't measure a big difference between low power mode and just closing the lid with wifi and usb off and the cpu idle. So I just either power down completely (if it's for a long time) or close the lid (for less than one day). The automatic shut down will work also with the lid closed of course.

It's probably not possible to have an automatic shut down when suspended - at least not with a simple battery monitor app in software. The whole point of suspending is to power down the cpu completely. Maybe there's a way to wake from suspend when the battery is critically low, but I doubt it.

So I just either power down completely (if it's for a long time) or close the lid (for less than one day)
I usually always power down, except for when I'm using it as a car stereo, then sometimes I get distracted when I get into work, or get home, and I leave it too long. It's not a big deal at home, but I don't have the main charger at work, so it's then basically a waste of space.

I do appreciate that it probably isn't possible, but thought I'd ask the question in case :)

You can charge using USB at work.  Don't tell me you don't have a USB cable.  :)
Sure you can, only if there's enough juice to power the device on. If it runs out in low power mode you cannot charge via USB because it won't even switch on. That's the whole point to my question.

Hi there,

Just wanted to point out that PNDConfig is able to activate swap files at startup now. For power control it is mostly useless, but I'm working on something different to address power issues and I will take this topic into account.

Back