Craig & Co, The Pandora Team?

MonkeyChops

NO! I don't play basketball
I mean they have to have a company name for ordering stuff and for tax purposes, right? Is it just "OpenPandora"? It would be nice to know how to refer to "them" when talking about "them".

If they don't have an official name, I suggest the community picks one for them.

ok, just seems weird that everyone refers to the company as "craig and co" or "the pandora team" Oh well

Although I think they should have picked a name that didn't have "pandora" in it in case they continue to do other projects that don't include the pandora.

Well Craig is the Guy that speaks out in what seems the most publicly. I don't care about aliases as long as I know who they are :p

MonkeyChops said:
Although I think they should have picked a name that didn't have "pandora" in it in case they continue to do other projects that don't include the pandora.
Such as the iControlPad? Things like that will be sold from icontrolpad.com, but most likely under the business name of GBAX (www.gbax.com) :)

EDIT: Oops, GBAX's business name seems to be Craigs "GP32 Distribution Ltd" :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
if icontrolpad makes a bunch of money and decides to expand thier product line to include other phones, like samsung or something, will they start a new business called samsungcontrolpad? From a tax standpoint it make more sense to have one company with more than one product rather than 10 companies with 1 product each. Not that its a bad thing for icontrolpad to sell samsung control pads under the same name, I just think its a little weird.

But on the other hand its been done before and its easy enough to change your company name. Plus I'm sure small companies like icontrolpad and openpandora are more worried about getting off the ground rather than picking the perfect name for if they make it big and if they decide to expand. Hindsight is 20/20 after all...

MonkeyChops said:
if icontrolpad makes a bunch of money and decides to expand thier product line to include other phones, like samsung or something, will they start a new business called samsungcontrolpad? From a tax standpoint it make more sense to have one company with more than one product rather than 10 companies with 1 product each. Not that its a bad thing for icontrolpad to sell samsung control pads under the same name, I just think its a little weird.
Erm, no, you didn't read the post properly. I said iControlPad will probably be sold from the domain name icontrolpad.com, but under an existing business/company, such as gbax (which I've since noticed is actually still called "GP32 Distribution Ltd").

correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't gbax just be a distributor? hence the distribution part of "GP32 Distribution Ltd"

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with samsungcontrolpad made by icontrolpad, its just a little weird in my opinion.

MonkeyChops said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't gbax just be a distributor? hence the distribution part of "GP32 Distribution Ltd"
Well, since iControlPad is Craig's baby, and Craig also owns GP32 Distribution Ltd (GBAX) and OpenPandora Ltd, he'll most likely sell the pads under one of those names, and OpenPandora Ltd just doesn't sound right to me (neither does GP32 Distribution Ltd really, either, but at least the website has a different name :))

This is a very interesting point, when I mention the Pandora (and I often do), I get asked "Who makes it?" and to be perfectly honest I have problems answering that.

Can we have some sort of official company name from craig?

I even got asked it at a computer fare I was at last week when I was talking to a guy presenting UMPC, I told him about the pandora, "WOW" he said and he asked who made them, when I tried to explain he totally lost interest :(, If I had an official name I would have given it and that conversation would have sparked something.

Be honest in answer to "Who makes it?"

1. A community driven supplier who created the perfect handheld device

2. Open Pandora.

3. Mega Bit.

Open Pandora is a a mouthful and makes no advertising sense. option 1 is a no go, as nobody will understand anyway, and option 3 is my rubbish idea but would be the better option.

Squidge said:
MonkeyChops said:
Well, since iControlPad is Craig's baby, and Craig also owns GP32 Distribution Ltd (GBAX) and OpenPandora Ltd, he'll most likely sell the pads under one of those names, and OpenPandora Ltd just doesn't sound right to me (neither does GP32 Distribution Ltd really, either, but at least the website has a different name :))

oh ok, sorry. I didn't know craig owned all three.

He should have a main company name imho. "CraigCo"

He should have a main company name imho. "CraigCo"

LOL no that would be a disaster (No disrespect to Craig) and even Craig understands that this. A company needs a solid punchy name. for instance, which of the following companies would you trust:

1. Sigma

2. Barry's Computing

Number one automatically appears not only more professional, but has some sort of trust. Barry quickly appears rouge.

Branding is very important.

WarmFluffyUK said:
2. Open Pandora.

"OpenPandora" (no space) is the most official answer. And if someone asks "who's that?" you can say it is a company founded by former European distributors of the Gamepark/GPH handhelds, who designed their new handheld with heavy input from the community around those handhelds.

hey

WarmFluffyUK: I don't agree, Barry's Computing sounds more trust worthy to me, assuming they serviced computers and such. I think it would be silly for every company to have a 'solid punchy name', every company is different, each with their own goals and market.

Hmm, I think it has been shown that the company name doesn't mean much at all (edit: from a consumers perspective that is), what matters is the name and perception the consumers know it by. edit: For example, you don't talk about GBAX under the name GP32 Distributions or whatever, but rather you know it as GBAX. Anyhows these are just my thoughts.

cyas

In UK, it's indeed OpenPandora Ltd.
I just founded OpenPandora GmbH in Germany. So OpenPandora seems valid, eh? :)

I agree with Warmfluffy that branding has a certain power. I myself have had to come to grips with trying to explain who's producing the Pandora. I usually am able to excite the most ardent critic when I explain the power of this open sourced project, the evolution on the forums and the realization of the dream. However when they ask "so who makes it?" OpenPandora LTD leaves them cold.

I noticed that on the greek page that schitzo is a pseudonym for open. I've seen more of that sort of thinking over last week. Lurking on the 2 pandora forums it seems theres a division. One camp who see the Pandora as the Ferrari of the Open source handheld gaming world with UMPC capabilities, the other camp see the Pandora as a really cool Pocket UMPC with gaming controls tacked on. I tried to explain this to my fiance and her response was that she didnt see the difference. Maybe there isnt one. But I see the difference in branding though. One camp lobbying for impressive graphics shows and cool font stylings like Eolairs for branding, and the other camp vying for minimalist font stylings more reminiscent of the UMPC camp.

Not to hijack the thread or anything just my conception of branding and its influence on perception.

Regardless of perception Pandora's really gonna shake things up I'm glad to be a part of it to watch it happen.

Cheers!

Back