Craigamp And Other Music Player Woes

BCable

I just got a GP2X, and before realizing there were other music players, I was using the default music player. It sucked. Mp3 playback sounds abysmal in any format and any bitrate.

Then I found GMU. GMU is great!... but at even one tiny bar of volume I feel like my head is going to explode with how loud it is.

Then I found CraigAmp. Music played great. Volume had "headphone" modes (awesome!). Everything seemed great. Until I realized that it's dyslexic.

Seriously, why even have music support if you can't play them in alphabetical (and numerical, for that matter) order? Track 14 does not come before 7, then 2 and 9. Shuffle isn't even on...

Craig, why? WHY?

Despite that fact, Craig, great music player. Just... why?

PS: There's an advertised "playlist editor", but I can't figure out how to get to it. Not in the docs or anywhere else.

GMU is better than you think it is. It supports a lot more formats than CraigAMP and you can fix the volume problem by going into your GP2X's settings and turning on the volume limiter.

Blah posted on Mar 14 2007 at 01:19 AM said:
GMU is better than you think it is. It supports a lot more formats than CraigAMP and you can fix the volume problem by going into your GP2X's settings and turning on the volume limiter.

Really my only complaint with GMU was the volume thing, and since I'm using GMenu2x I don't think it supports volume limiting from reading other posts.

The system settings says volume limiting is on, so I assume it's GMenu2x's fault that it's not working.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Mar 14 2007 at 01:30 AM said:
Are you sure you have 2.0? Go into options (press select) and you can set many options...

Yes, but playlist listing (not editing), music searching, screen setup, cpu speed, screen view, and skinning are features that are hardly relevant to alphabetized file lists and/or playlist editing...

Open a new playlist and add them in (press A in the loader window from what i remember).

I actually have quite a substantially updated craigamp which i should release which has order by date/name/etc.

Actually i'm going to look to doing that soon, you have encouraged me :)

Hey does Craigamp have that feature where you can turn off the lcd display to save battery power like in the origanal MusicPlayer that came with the 2X? If so then I am deffinately upgrading to Craigamp!

Shifty posted on Mar 14 2007 at 02:07 AM said:
Hey does Craigamp have that feature where you can turn off the lcd display to save battery power like in the origanal MusicPlayer that came with the 2X? If so then I am deffinately upgrading to Craigamp!

AWESOME CRAIG!! THANKS MUCH!!

(BTW: Back, Play, Play & Shuffle, Pause, Stop, Next, Options, and whatever Start and Clicking in the joypad do... but no new playlist feature that I can see...)

@Shifty

CraigAmp and GMU both have the LCD off mode. That is a feature I require as well for long battery life :D

Bcable: goto playlists.. then press A to make a new one. It will ask you to name the file then you can browse around and add in files.

craigix posted on Mar 14 2007 at 02:17 AM said:
Bcable: goto playlists.. then press A to make a new one. It will ask you to name the file then you can browse around and add in files.

Aha!

That'll do for now, but I don't want to have to create a playlist for every single album I have on my GP2X (which is going to be a lot).

Hope the new version comes out soon :)

My only problem with CraigAmp is that if you turn off the screen and then turn it on again, it won't turn off a second time (though maybe I just messed up the settings somehow). Other than that, it's brilliant and I use it just about every day while going to and from work. :D

Faugh posted on Mar 14 2007 at 03:11 AM said:
My only problem with CraigAmp is that if you turn off the screen and then turn it on again, it won't turn off a second time (though maybe I just messed up the settings somehow). Other than that, it's brilliant and I use it just about every day while going to and from work. :D

Yeah I think you screwed something up there... doing that works fine for me.

I use gmu, it's pretty good. but like all .ogg players for teh GeePee that aren't the native one; there are no proper Fast forward or rewind features.

quite frustrating when wishing to continue listening to the podcast I was listening to on my break.

Craigamp and Gmu, each are good.
I prefer a bit Gmu because of its easier use with joy and buttons shortcuts, and its fast ability to generate playlists on-the-go as an ipod do. (add file/dir to a playlist)
Craigamp generates some annoying sound scratches at start/end of tracks on my 2X, and seems to skip some samples due to its default 150 cpu frequency. So Craig if you can fix this ;-)

kingbuzzo posted on Mar 14 2007 at 08:26 AM said:
I use gmu, it's pretty good. but like all .ogg players for teh GeePee that aren't the native one; there are no proper Fast forward or rewind features.

quite frustrating when wishing to continue listening to the podcast I was listening to on my break.

More than true! Even a jump to minute ?? would be nice to have. For listening to podcasts none of the players will do.

Back