DaveC

Internal Development
Check out this thread where Craig eludes to a Zodiac version of doom:

http://www.emuboards.com/invision/index.ph...=0&#entry176648

Where he said this:

"As for GPDoom, just be patient...

-Craig

www.gbax.com "

I think the GPdoom was most likely a typo and it was supposed to be Zdoom.

I remember that Doom on the GP32 was one of the reasons for owning it. Now that the Zodiac will have a better version of Doom than the GP32 it is yet another nail in the coffin maybe.

Does this mean no more upgrades/fixes etc on the GP32 version? Is Craig getting the Zodiac bug too? First Yoyo now this, the horror of it all :(

What more is there to do on GPDoom though? It seems perfect to me as it plays mods supports music and saves and easily beats the GBA version for looks.

i think rob&craig want to make some final optimizitants for a v11 or something like this, then port the whole stuff the zodiac (i think i heard it on gbax.. or elsewhere!? dunno)
but hey, why do we care? we already have perfect doom, dont we? (no theres no source code for doom 3 avaible :p )

WhizzBang posted on Sep 1 2004 at 06:02 PM said:
What more is there to do on GPDoom though? It seems perfect to me as it plays mods supports music and saves and easily beats the GBA version for looks.

lots of things can be done -

Chatboard support (Hopefully)
and maybe improved Loading times,
Support for them .deh file things,
172mhz, 180mhz, 192mhz, 200mhz, 220mhz, 242mhz, 248mhz OC'ing ETC
Console (so you can drop it down with the chatboard and type in commands to change maps / mods Etc Etc)
Lots of things :D

Would it be possible to get something like Legacy built into GPDoom so we can have smoother improved graphics / settings? that would kick ass :D

Last edited by a moderator:
WhizzBang posted on Sep 1 2004 at 06:02 PM said:

It could be optimised to be faster (sound), there are a few bugs where the screen splits, and some types of the WADs need to be renamed to DoomII.wad as there is not a menu for those.

But yes it is pretty great as it is now. But compared to the faster speed and higher resolution of the Zodiac version the GP32 one will pail in comparison. Zodiac bois will have yet another reason to boast about their "superior" system causing more and more GP32 owners and Devs to jump ship for Zodiac. Well, good for them I guess.

The split screen bug is fixed in the V10 beta.

I don't see anything which needs 166+ but i'll stick in 180mhz anyway, V10 beta is the fastest yet.

I am going to do chatboard support, been meaning to do that for a couple of weeks now. With that you could finally have the dream of typing in cheats and other doom commands.

But yeah, GPdoom is pretty much 99% done.

Woogal needs to get on with quake ;)

-Craig

www.gbax.com

oh damn i gotta order a chatboard from ya, craig...
but im too lazy with all that payment stuff and so on :rolleyes:
ahh... one day.... i'll get my ass up B)

Wolfsclaw posted on Sep 1 2004 at 06:22 PM said:
oh damn i gotta order a chatboard from ya, craig...
but im too lazy with all that payment stuff and so on :rolleyes:
ahh... one day.... i'll get my ass up B)

I might have a chatboard left for you to buy (Ill have to make sure first though)

Is V10 available to download???

don posted on Sep 1 2004 at 06:07 PM said:
craigix posted on Sep 1 2004 at 07:00 PM said:
Errr, no?

HA! GOTCHA!

First you destroyed the GP32 scene, and now you're about to kill the Z scene!

No, I don't buy into that conspiracy theory that was mentioned awhile back(don't want to mention names). No, I don't think Craig is trying to kill the GP32 scene, and I think he is a decent guy.

But it may seem like he is getting the "bug" for the Zodiac, I would not see otherwise why he would even want to do it unless he likes the Z alot. That is fine but that doesn't bode well for the GP32. I mean that time could be spent porting Descent or Hexen or something like that to the GP32. Making a better version of one of the GP32's killer apps is a big blow. It would be like Nintendo making a better version of Zelda and Metriod for the Xbox and slowing on Gamecube dev.

Coders will do things for the system that they like best, no conspiracies here. It is just a bummer to think that we may have lost yet another to the Zodiac. Oh well.

Back