Crap Adventure Construction Kit

woogal

Certified Guru
Website
gp32.sector808.org
cack.png

CACK beta 1 released. Download from http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,1973

CACK is (or will be) a constuction kit for crap little adventure games. Think Dizzy style gameplay (pick up object, use object etc) with Zelda style top down view. Beta 1 is just a release of the player (editor hasn't been started yet), but you can still use it to create games if you don't mind doing a bit of manual editing of xml and writing map data. Included in the zip are gp2x and windows binaries. The dlls are for windows only, so you don't need to copy them to your sd card.

I'll write more about the structure of the various files later when I'm not at work, but basically if you want to try creating a game just copy the demo folder, edit the xml and ini files (most stuff makes sense and I've commented the xml), create your maps (top main block is object ids, last few shorter lines are trigger points (x,y,action id)) and create your graphics. You can launch new games by calling 'cack-player.gpe -game gamename' (cack-player.exe for windows obviously).

Edit: More documentation now at http://gp2x.sector808.org/cack.php

This could open doors for a whole new wave of potential adventure game makers who are intimidated to create an engine from scratch! Excellent news, I'll look forward to updates and games created with this :) As it stands right now, the GP2X has quite a lack of games under this specific genre.

Thanks Woogal!

- Alex

Very nice! Reminds me a bit of those mini adventure games several years ago that were based on indiana jones, star wars etc. they were a mix of Dizzy (pick up, put down) and a top down rpg style game. The level design and story changed around a little each time you played it so in theory it was infinite gameplay.

I hope people get interested in this, as like said above, it could get more people into making games.

Nice to see you release it! ;) Any objections to me using your gfx for my upcoming editor? ;)

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 19 2006 at 02:10 PM said:
Very nice! Reminds me a bit of those mini adventure games several years ago that were based on indiana jones, star wars etc.
Not played Yoda Stories for years, but my vauge memory of it was one of the inspirations for creating CACK. I love games that you can just pick up and play for a few minutes at a time so it's the Yoda Stories type of game that I'm hoping people will create with this.

Amon_Re posted on Dec 19 2006 at 02:39 PM said:
Nice to see you release it! ;) Any objections to me using your gfx for my upcoming editor? ;)
Help yourself, they're not mine ;). I can't draw so I found some tilesets on the web and picked out elements I liked (apart from Bob, he was created for me a few years ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately make a nice editor for it; when I went the Zot route, it was a promising project imho, but totally tanked. I _think_ it was because it was just too cryptic for people to figure out a new language and config file system (and for me to docuemnt it well enough to be easy, etc).. a good editor could make it work for the target.

ie: People who know how to dev likely will make their own engine

So if the target is for noodling round or newbies, then it has to be quick and easy and see-resulty, so an editor would rock :)

jeff

Great to see :)

skeezix posted on Dec 19 2006 at 04:38 PM said:
Definately make a nice editor for it; when I went the Zot route, it was a promising project imho, but totally tanked. I _think_ it was because it was just too cryptic for people to figure out a new language and config file system (and for me to docuemnt it well enough to be easy, etc).. a good editor could make it work for the target.

ie: People who know how to dev likely will make their own engine

So if the target is for noodling round or newbies, then it has to be quick and easy and see-resulty, so an editor would rock :)

jeff

Great to see :)

Well, i'm also working on an RPG engine, aimed more to RPG's like FF & PS, with a runtime that's cross platform, with "ease of use" being one of the goals (keep in mind that i *SUCK* at making UI's tho :p)

I'm hoping to get it somewhat working near Februari, work permitting.

I can't wait to play with some CACK.

;)

Amon_Re posted on Dec 19 2006 at 10:51 AM said:
Well, i'm also working on an RPG engine, aimed more to RPG's like FF & PS, with a runtime that's cross platform, with "ease of use" being one of the goals (keep in mind that i *SUCK* at making UI's tho :p)

I'm hoping to get it somewhat working near Februari, work permitting.

Cool to see lots of Builders out there :)

UIs are easy -- since a Builder is by definition a 'community' tool (no good on its standalone), then you can enroll the community for help. Make a GUI the way you think it should be, and people will tell you what they think.

1) They'll say they hate part of it
2) They'll say (but not nearly so much) which parts they like
3) They will say what _they_ see, and not see the greater good (less visibility)

For comercial apps, that was hard in the past, but is now more common.. but for open source or community homebrew, you just get everyone to flame and help and critique, and you'll end up with the goods in the end :) Your job is difficult -- to judge what requests are good for the project, and in which order to do them :)

So don't sweat it.. just do it :)

Cheers :)

jeff

awsome, reminds me of Kyles Quest for the Palm OS (lol @ crimson fire) but i wish i coudl use this an make maps, games etc (on a mac) but still great, cant wait to see all the user created stuff!

Goemon4 posted on Dec 19 2006 at 07:44 PM said:
awsome, reminds me of Kyles Quest for the Palm OS (lol @ crimson fire) but i wish i coudl use this an make maps, games etc (on a mac) but still great, cant wait to see all the user created stuff!

Heh, good times. I loved the community when it was still active. I posted there yesterday for the first time in a year, due feeling nostalgic. :)

doc5avage posted on Dec 19 2006 at 08:37 PM said:
Will you release a linux version or the source?
Can't compile a linux version as I don't have a linux box anymore (well, not one that's working anyway). Source is coming once I've tidied it up and made sure all the main features are stable, maybe next week if you're lucky.

Requesting name change to CrACK! :D
Let's see if I can find the time to do something with this... :) I love editing text files, making graphics and being creative as long as no actual programming is involved. :D Too bad I haven't got much time at the moment... :(

woogal posted on Dec 19 2006 at 09:13 PM said:
doc5avage posted on Dec 19 2006 at 08:37 PM said:
Will you release a linux version or the source?
Can't compile a linux version as I don't have a linux box anymore (well, not one that's working anyway). Source is coming once I've tidied it up and made sure all the main features are stable, maybe next week if you're lucky.
Is there any chance of that GP2x Lacuna port you mentioned a year ago :D or at least a source code release.

can you shoot enemies in this , the finish game \ editor i mean, i have so many f~~king games locked up in my head you wouldn't believe, please put a shoot enemies and be shot by enemies option in this, imagine collecting health ,ammo , intel etc. while making your way around a war ruined city \ landscape......there goes my brain again dreaming lol.....looks realy promising :eek:

Back