Csound/pd & Pro-Audio Sofwtare

uplink3r

Still Fresh
I currently run Ubuntu and it's a bit tricky doing pro-audio. It helps to have a plug-in called Jack and a realtime kernel, and I am guessing Pandora has neither. However, that can't stop me from wanting to do music on the Pandora. There is a text-based program called csound that is completely open source. It's no stretch to say csound is one of the music tools (in terms of functionality) in existence. It can and has been used as the backend to audio applications and plugins. There is also PD, a similar opensource program that has the advantage of not being text-based and more intuitive.

If either of these programs were ported, you wouldn't get two new programs, but the ability to use thousands of pre-made audio scripts. On top of that Java/Python/C programs can use the csound library. But that's only scratching the surface.

It's hard to explain how innovative a pandora with pro-audio software would be. Here is a single example: the Korg Kaoss pad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owkeBOcC-AQ) is a machine that can take 4 loops at a time, and apply one effect to one of them at a time. The effect is controlled completely by the location of your finger on a touch pad. It costs $300, and sells like hot cakes. It not be difficult to write something like this in csound or PD, and run it on Pandora. By "not difficult" I mean it could be easily done in under an hour and programmed to automatically sync up to a program on another machine.

Here are further examples:
-Even if the pandora just acted as a remote control for music (MIDI Controller) it would be revolutionary. There are NO controllers the size of the pandora, let alone any that are even remotely customisable (imagine pages of buttons/switches/x-y controls). Pandora is already set up for gaming control. Writing this is all e-a-s-y to do in csound/pd. In pd litterally anybody could write their own controller. (To see a midi controller check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1DJ4VtG9Sg)
-Running loops. If the pandora could only run a few (4-5) loops together it would still be a great tool for live sets. Like I said before that's all the KaossPad can do.
-T-Pain effect. Antares released a version of auto-tune for the iPhone. It would be soooo sweet to have this on Pandora.
-Audacity. If you can run GIMP, can you run Audacity on pandora? Extremely powerful program, familiar to many.
-Ardour. I would kill to have this pro-tools-like program on the pandora. Not so sure it's possible. It is open source.
-VGM remixes. Hey, you got all your roms! Not to mention PocketMusic, NanoLoop and other old-school GB music-making programs.

The pandora would not have to have a whole lot of functionality to be the most versatile piece of musical equipment of its size. The products it would compete with are all $200+. This would open Pandora up to a whole new community of users and innovators. If csound or pd could run on it, you'd have thousands of musical instruments and effects that are 100% editable by end users (on their PCs or Pandora). At worst it would be the best MIDI controller of it's kind (due to size, touch screen & gaming controls), and at best it could be a portable music studio in your pocket!

Questions:
What kind of audio latency would we be dealing with?
Is there an unstoppable audio hum/static with the Pandora?
How feasible is porting audio applications from one chip to another?
Is it possible to make an ASIO driver for Pandora that all audio would run through?
Can Pandora run Jack or use a realtime kernel?

Sorry I think I posted in the wrong section! That's embarrassing.

Back