Current Status Of All The Parts

cuetzpalin

I've been searching the forums for full, confirmed info, but still this is what I got:

Part-----------QTY req-----QTY ready--------Current status
Cases-----------4,000--------1,000----------at Craig's, and he's happy with the quality.
Keymats---------4,000--------1,000----------at Craig's, and he's happy with the quality.
Stylus----------4,000--------1,000----------at Craig's, and he's happy with the quality.
Other buttons---4,000--------1,000----------at Craig's, and he's happy with the quality.
Boards----------4,000--------700------------additional 800 boards populated in Texas, no info when shipping will be requested. (see notes for more info)
Nubs----------------------------------------nubs are directly soldered on the boards, don't have to be listed seperately
Batteries-------4,000--------4,000----------4,000 batteries released from UK customs, to be delivered on May 10th.
Stickers--------4,000--------4,000----------at Craig's
LCDs------------4,000--------4,000----------at Craig's
Speakers--------8,000--------10,000---------at Craig's
Wifi antennas---4,000--------4,000----------at Craig's
Power plug------Y------------Y--------------Y power plugs arrived at Craig's, number unknown. (see notes for more info)
Carry cases-----Y------------1,000----------(optional item) 1,000 at Craig's; no information how many are required. (see notes for more info)
TV out cable----Y------------X--------------(optional item) A small number of sample tv-out cables arrived. (see notes for more info)

QS Manuals------4,000--------5,000----------5,000 Quick Start Manuals printed, to be delivered on May 10th.
Shipping stuff--Y------------???------------No information

Building started, as of wednesday 19th :pandora2ut4: :D

Notes:
  • This list is by no means official, but contains only confirmed information.
  • The TV-out cables are not mass produced yet, as the manufacturing company wants to produce 10,000 at once and the OPT want to discuss that numbers. Thus, TV-out cables are gonna be shipped later, when they are done.
  • Apparently the next shipment of boards will have the wifi mod done. It has been said that the factory is doing 500 boards per week. Craig said the boards will be shipped "in batches of about 700 at a time".
  • X: number is not exactly known
  • Y: number is different from 4,000 and not known (not all Pandora get the same power plug, at least there is a difference between EDs shop and Craigs, not everyone ordered a TV out cable or a Carry case, not all shipping stuff has to be at Craigs since ED and Fatih got to ship stuff, too)
  • The item with ??? represent stuff that probably is ready but has not been confirmed.
  • The quantity required considers the components needed to assemble all the 4,000 pandoras from the first batch.
  • The first 1,000 cases are the ones ready and waiting to be shipped, the remaining 9,000 will be made later.
  • Internals were made in Texas, and the 4,000 actually mean the qty required to assemble 4,000 pandoras.
  • Special thanks to Ivanovic, this list is almost entirely his work.

Am I missing something?

Please don't start complaining about delays here, I just wanted to make a list so everybody gets to know the status of all the parts.

Craig has mentioned all of the above previously.
They have most things, mainly awaiting the case....

kingoddball said:
Craig has mentioned all of the above previously.
They have most things, mainly awaiting the case....

But in which quantity?... and... where?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does it matter?
Even if they had the cases they CAN NOT make more than 700 as that's all the boards they have.

It's not really a concern. OpenPandora Ltd. are dealing with it and update us all the time.

There is also Craig's twitter which has many updates.

There is no need to start a new thread.

If it helps to paint the picture...

- Case quantity is currently 1,000, these are the ones leaving China "soon". 9,000 more to be manufactured.
- Keymats, d-pads and other buttons (ABXY, shoulders etc) are all being made with the cases. File under China.
- The ton of stuff from Texas supposedly included 4,000 LCDs, 8,000 nubs, wifi antennas, speakers and all other internals required for the complete first batch (4,000 units).

Remember this is not official info. :)

Gruso said:
If it helps to paint the picture...

- Case quantity is currently 1,000, these are the ones leaving China "soon". 9,000 more to be manufactured.
- Keymats, d-pads and other buttons (ABXY, shoulders etc) are all being made with the cases. File under China.
- The ton of stuff from Texas supposedly included 4,000 LCDs, 8,000 nubs, wifi antennas, speakers and all other internals required for the complete first batch (4,000 units).

Remember this is not official info. :)

Thanks, it does helps to paint the picture. I'll update my first post.

The following questions arise:
  1. The 9,000 remainder cases are being manufactured right now, or you are waiting to see the quality and condition of the first 1,000?
  2. As for the Keymants, d-pads, and other buttons, I guess you will have the first 1,000 shipped together with the first 1,000 cases, and have the rest made later, right?

Just to clarify, I'm not a member of the Pandora team, just a forum member & customer like you. :) To answer your questions as best I can:

- Yes, they will be doing a quality check on the first 1,000 cases before ordering the rest. Just to make sure the ones sent to MWeston weren't picked because they looked better than the rest.

- The d-pads, shoulder buttons & ABXY buttons are all made using the same injection moulding process as the cases. So a fair assumption here is that if 1,000 cases are made, 1,000 sets of pads & buttons are made as well. 9,000 cases, 9,000 sets of buttons, etc.

- The keymats are an entirely different process AFAIK. We're told they're "done" but I don't know if that means 1,000 or 9,000. In terms of design they were finalised long ago, but they may be subject to the same quality check as the cases - ie., 1,000 now, then 9,000. Not sure.

Cuetzpalin said:
Boards----------4,000-------Arrived safely at Craig's (so to speak)

The number is either 700 or 1000 if I recall correctly.

Cuetzpalin said:
Cases-----------1,000--------In China, shipping "soon" to Craig's
Keymats---------???---------In China
Other buttons--???----------In China
Those are one block are from what I know produced in a quantity of 1.000 so far. This list should also include the Stylus.

Cuetzpalin said:
Batteries-------???----------At a customs office in UK
Yes, no numbers *at all* known.

Cuetzpalin said:
Boards----------4,000-------Arrived safely at Craig's (so to speak)
So far there are only some 700 boards at Craig's. Exact numbers regarding how many are already populated and waiting for shipping once the OpenPandora Team requests it are not available.

Cuetzpalin said:
Stickers--------???----------Arrived safely at Craig's (so to speak)
From one of the pics we do know that stickers are at Craig's but so far there are no numbers published.

Cuetzpalin said:
LCDs------------4,000--------Arrived safely at Craig's (so to speak)
Speakers-------8,000-------Arrived safely at Craig's (so to speak)
Nubs--------------8,000-------Arrived safely at Craig's (so to speak)
Other internals--4,000-----Arrived safely at Craig's (so to speak)
Where exactly have you found these numbers? So far I have not seen info regarding those numbers and I fear that they are not correct. The block "Other internals" does include the wifi antennas. Regaring the LCDs and Nubs it was once said that those amounts were purchased, but are they really at Craig's already?

Let me create a new, slightly different list including a column for what is required for the 4000 Pandora:

Part-------------QTY required-QTY at Craig-Current status

Cases------------4,000--------0------------1000 produced and still in China
Keymats----------4,000--------0------------1000 produced and still in China
Stylus-----------4,000--------0------------1000 produced and still in China
Other buttons----4,000--------0------------1000 produced and still in China
Populated boards-4,000--------700----------additional X boards populated in Texas, no info when shipping will be requested
Batteries--------4,000--------0------------batteries are at UK customs, number unknown
Stickers---------4,000--------X------------X stickers arrived at Craig's, number unknown
LCDs-------------4,000--------???----------LCDs are ordered and unknown numbers might have arrived at Craig's
Speakers---------8,000--------???----------no information how many are ordered and if they are at Craig's
Nubs-------------8,000--------???----------8,000 ordered, no information if they are at Craig's
Wifi antennas----4,000--------???----------"some" antennas were ordered, number unknown
Other internals--4,000--------???----------no information what else is ordered/required and if it is at Craig's

Yes, this is the pessimistic list since so far I have not seen information about the content of "other boxes" that arrived at Craig's. At least there was no official blog post or anything with this information. If someone of you got more information (since I might have missed stuff here in the forums) it would be great if you could say this maybe including links. I will try to keep the list up to date. If I forgot components, please mention those, too.

Ivanovic said:
Where exactly have you found these numbers? So far I have not seen info regarding those numbers and I fear that they are not correct. The block "Other internals" does include the wifi antennas. Regaring the LCDs and Nubs it was once said that those amounts were purchased, but are they really at Craig's already?

Let me create a new, slightly different list including a column for what is required for the 4000 Pandora:

Yes, this is the pessimistic list since so far I have not seen information about the content of "other boxes" that arrived at Craig's. At least there was no official blog post or anything with this information. If someone of you got more information (since I might have missed stuff here in the forums) it would be great if you could say this maybe including links. I will try to keep the list up to date. If I forgot components, please mention those, too.

I got those numbers from multiple sources... and since there are not official detailed numbers, many were assumptions.

I copied your list with minor modification to the column titles, so the best list appears in the first post.

I hope the pandora team won't get any upset by this post, my only aim is to offer a way for people waiting to realistically know when to expect their pandoras delivered. There may be some thinking that after the cases arrive at Craig's the assembly for all the 4,000 from the first batch will start.

Again I hope this post and the information it contains won't spark another flaming war at the OPT, au contraire, I think that by posting information this detailed, everybody should know what to expect and won't feel disapointed again if the last order numbers won't get their Pandoras by the end of May.

BTW, What Wifi antennas you refer to?

Gruso said:
Oh! I didn't realise that. Thanks for this, Gruso.
May be that explains ED valuation. Which seemed a little high at the time.

Cuetzpalin said:
BTW, What Wifi antennas you refer to?
Of course Wifi requires an antenna to operate. If you have a look at one of the board pics you can see the connector on the top-left of the WIFI/BT chip. Eg have a look at this image with the parts labeled as shown in the pandorapress blog.

Xian Long said:
that is one pessimistic list son
Yes, it is. The reason for it being this pessimistic is that so far Craig has not said which parts are exactly there. From what happened so far that leads me to believe that not all things arrived in full quantity. Since Craig had to check the packages he got for completeness anyway it would not hurt to state which numbers of parts (and of which parts) he really has available already and how many are still missing. I don't expect to see any estimates regarding what will be done. I know that this is a clear state of "when it's done". What I'd just like to have is sincere information about the current status so that those "uhm, why was this not said before?!?" moments don't occur.

EDIT:
Something not mentioned in the list: AC adapters. The problem with those is that it of course depends on where the stuff was ordered. So for example ED will bundle a default EU adapter where Craig most likely bundles a UK one. Some time ago it was already posted that Craig got the AC adapters, so not really listing them here. In the "other" category belongs stuff like shipping boxes as well as maybe USB cables (are they part of the order, no idea...).

Xian Long said:
that is one pessimistic list son
It isn't pessimistic or optimistic as it doesn't predict anything, it is just all the confirmed info the OP was able to find. As she gets more, I'm sure she will update it.

cosurgi said:
This list is nice. It should be on the official website. You forgot to add chargers to the list.

Also TV-out cables, carry-cases, battery-label (are those separate from the batteries?), user manuals, mailing labels, bubble wrap, outgoing boxes, and whatever else they need for mailing the built the Pandoras.

Speaking of the carry-cases, does anyone know the actual status of the carry-cases? I'd thought they all ordered and done, waiting at Craig's house/hall:
http://pandorapress.net/2010/03/25/the-return-of-the-mysterious-case-of-the-cases-no-not-those-cases/
But this post a few days ago makes me unsure:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53173-shipping-on-the-4th/page__st__60__p__845769&#entry845769

kingoddball said:
Why does it matter?
Even if they had the cases they CAN NOT make more than 700 as that's all the boards they have.

It's not really a concern. OpenPandora Ltd. are dealing with it and update us all the time.

There is also Craig's twitter which has many updates.

There is no need to start a new thread.

It matters to me and many others, and your reason why it shouldn't matter, is actually the reason why it DOES matters... With this list you get a realistic picture of how everything is going, and thus, know what to expect and when.

I ask you to read completely a post before ranting about it. This is not a post to complain about OPT, I've never said they are not busy or they are not updating. I've never complained about the OPT in the forums, and I encourage everybody to at least not do it in this post to keep it clean and informative.

I know there are plenty of updates, but they come from different sources: Twitter, the forums, the blog, the website and so on, also from different members of the OPT.

I do think this post is very needed to CONCENTRATE all the updates in a single detailed-yet simple list for everybody to check and have all the updates without having to lurk throuh thousands of posts, and twitter posts.

benji_stein said:
Also TV-out cables, carry-cases, battery-label (are those separate from the batteries?), user manuals, mailing labels, bubble wrap, outgoing boxes, and whatever else they need for mailing the built the Pandoras.

Also, are there any printed manuals? This days I don't see any reason to waste paper printing manuals nobody reads, you can easily provide a PDF... although maybe there are some laws about it.

ED talked about making a wiki that would be used as a manual.
(If I didn't misinterpret what he said)

Back