Current Status Of Emulators

b._.o._.b

The more I read about the Dingoo, the more I'm interested in it. Low price, good battery life, fast boot and good d-pad are the more obvious ones.
I haven't read anywhere (but I could have missed something) that there are emulators on the Dingoo that are working better on a Dingoo than a GP2X F100/F200. For buying one, this should really be the case.
The current MAME build seems to be the most advanced of all emulators now, but on the Dingoo A320 forum I've read it is still pretty slow for some games.

Looking forward to some user experiences or a devs prediction what we might expect in the future.
Thanks!

b_o_b said:
The more I read about the Dingoo, the more I'm interested in it. Low price, good battery life, fast boot and good d-pad are the more obvious ones.
I haven't read anywhere (but I could have missed something) that there are emulators on the Dingoo that are working better on a Dingoo than a GP2X F100/F200. For buying one, this should really be the case.
The current MAME build seems to be the most advanced of all emulators now, but on the Dingoo A320 forum I've read it is still pretty slow for some games.

Looking forward to some user experiences or a devs prediction what we might expect in the future.
Thanks!

The gp2x has a pretty mature software base. Mame, Temper, Picodrive, cps2, FBA and the GBA emulator are all outstanding. The snes emulators are also very good. A gp2x can be picked up used for for well under $100 and it uses real AA batteries and there are plenty of 15 minute chargers and batteries that hold their charge for years. The build quality is pretty good, but not perfect. OTOH, the gp2x is no longer being manufactured and if the gp32 is any indication you can expect support to trickle away to nothing, but that might not be the case with the gp2x not being tapped and the wiz being somewhat compatible and not much faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:
The gp2x has a pretty mature software base. Mame, Temper, Picodrive, cps2, FBA and the GBA emulator are all outstanding. The snes emulators are also very good. A gp2x can be picked up used for for well under $100 and it uses real AA batteries and there are plenty of 15 minute chargers and batteries that hold their charge for years. The build quality is pretty good, but not perfect. OTOH, the gp2x is no longer being manufactured and if the gp32 is any indication you can expect support to trickle away to nothing, but that might not be the case with the gp2x not being tapped and the wiz being somewhat compatible and not much faster.

I own a F100 and F200 so I know how good the software for the GP2X is. Dingoo has a long way to go to gather a software library like the GP2X. Seems like the Wiz has more devs working on it.

As soon as there's a VICE port, I'm in. That's my only criteria.

Nice thing about the Dingoo is, that you get some good emulators right away with the machine, the build in NeoGeo/CPS1+2 and GBA Emulators are pretty good, the SuperNES Emulator is good, but not perfect, the MD Emulator isn't very usable, it has heavy problems with screen tearing and is to slow.
The NES Emulator is good.
On the Linux side you have a port of Mame4All, which runs fine with almost every 8 Bit Game and good with some frameskipping on most of the 16 Bit machines. If you deactivate the sound, you even get Space Harrier and Outrun running at Fullspeed with minimal framedropping. Also for Linux there are ports of Picodrve (Sega Megadrive) and SNes9x, which work better in my opinion then their counterparts on the original Firmware.
AlekMaul ported an Sega Master System Emulator for to the original Firmware, which is quite good and there are Emulators for the Colecovision and the Odysee2 for the original Firmware as well.
The guy who ported Mame4All is working on a FBA right now, but it isn't released yet. There are some more Emulators I didn't tried myself (got my Dingoo last week ;)), as MSX and Spectrum. Right now I'm quite happy with the ammount of games, that can be played on the Dingoo.

How does this system compare to the GP 32? Are the controls, emulation, battery life, etc. superior? Also, anyone know if a GP 32 can still be found anywhere, apart from hunting on ebay?

Cone said:
As soon as there's a VICE port, I'm in. That's my only criteria.
there is! =]

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,152

Borya said:
How does this system compare to the GP 32? Are the controls, emulation, battery life, etc. superior? Also, anyone know if a GP 32 can still be found anywhere, apart from hunting on ebay?

GP32 has a lot more software and emulators than Dingoo at the moment purely because of its age. However the Dingoo scene is really hotting up at the moment. Controls are better on Dingoo imo (although shoulder buttons are a bit small). For the emulators currently available (including Dingux ones), they are far superior to GP32. Battery life is approx 7 hours on a single charge.

I have a GP32 NLU for sale cheap if you like! (but seriously recommend the Dingoo over GP32 anyday due to storage, video playing abilities and gaming potential)

Do you guys think it'll ever see full speed SNES and Genesis/MD emulation?

bustaballs said:
Do you guys think it'll ever see full speed SNES and Genesis/MD emulation?
Genesis/MD/SCD emulation is already fullspeed w/picodrive, snes is already pretty near full-speed as well, but yes i'm more than sure it's attainable.

It already does run snes games at full speed with sound through Dingux with Snes9x. With the exception of games that uses SFX chip.

I'm currently working on releasing a faster version of MAME for the A320 Dingoo. This will be in two steps.

The next MAME4ALL Dingoo release (v1.2) will have some nice speedups for all games. I also want to remove some of the "fat" as the executable is quite large. This should allow some more games to work.

The following release (v1.3) I will concentrate on getting faster 68000/Z80 cores working.

slaanesh said:
I'm currently working on releasing a faster version of MAME for the A320 Dingoo. This will be in two steps.

The next MAME4ALL Dingoo release (v1.2) will have some nice speedups for all games. I also want to remove some of the "fat" as the executable is quite large. This should allow some more games to work.

The following release (v1.3) I will concentrate on getting faster 68000/Z80 cores working.

Excellent, it's been a long time since you've posted - I was starting to worry. Any idea when we can see 1.2 released?

slaanesh said:

Many thanks Slaanesh! Any progress with DinguXMB? I'd really like it to replace dmenu at some point ;]

slaanesh said:

Hi Slaanesh, what is the current status on FBA320 and Cave shooters such as DoDonPachi? I would love to get this game working, it's one of the best shmups ever created.Or do you expect that Mame4All will be able to play these games?

Back