D1x-rebirth (gp2x Version)

icurafu

The Hallucinogenic Elf
Website
gamesreborn.blogspot.com
Looks like December is going to be a great month for the GP2X.

D1X-Rebirth will be released in full for the GP2X on the 24th of December from the awesome team at dxx-rebirth. Check the TV-out recorded video in the quote below from the DXX Rebirth page.

descent_screen001.jpg
descent_screen005.jpg

nb: screenshots are from PC version rather than improved D1X QVGA image.

I'm still porting DXX-Rebirth to the GP2X. D1X-Rebirth is nearly finished and D2X-Rebirth is in the works now.
1nf1n1ty - one of the D1X-Rebirth BETA testers of the GP2X version - created a stunning promo video for all the fans of Descent and the GP2X.
Check it out here!
[cut]
A lot of people commented that this was really smooth, to which zico quoted...

"Fast" depends on the rate of overclocking :) (200Mhz is IMHO not the best idea - but yet playable)
Also I admit I haven't seen the REAL big rooms with TONS of bots in the game. This could indeed go down a bit.

For me it's like: 200 Mhz plays ok. Stays smooth, but you notice slowdowns in bigger rooms and fights.
At 250Mhz even bigs rooms are fine for me but in fights with 5 or 6 robots, I notice it goes a bit down to 25-30 FPS.
I also turned down some detail levels so robots get a bit less dtailed on distance and very distant walls pop away so you won't see slowdowns in very long hallways.

Also as said: the video makes it probably "smoother" than reality. Well... it isn't much time anymore until dec 24th - then you will see

Read about it in the Suggestion thread.[/cut]

Last edited by a moderator:
Christmas sorted, woo! :D

Looking very good in the video, so it will be possible to fly in fullscreen without the cockpit? Very cool!!
Thanks to you it will be an awful long time till 24th december now! LOL

Really really looking forward to this great work :)

"SunSpire"

Looks like it plays outstanding to me. I can't wait. I just hope it actually comes out. These previewed games tend to have a bad track record for actually coming out... (Sonic Doom anyone? :()

that vids crazy... had to like make sure it was running on a gp2x... kinda like the rapid racoon vid

Bruno posted on Dec 3 2006 at 11:40 PM said:
Couldn't the engine be used to create a Wipeout clone?

..or a WC-clone?? :D
the engine is open(and works well)!!

shinneri posted on Dec 3 2006 at 05:41 PM said:
These previewed games tend to have a bad track record for actually coming out... (Sonic Doom anyone? :()

I only can say for that: I am 99,99% ready now. And the last 0,01% missing is just some finetuning on the controls. :)

But in the first place I would like to release D2X-Rebirth to this date as well. Unfortunately this may be a bit unrealistic right now. Too much trouble at the moment (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=33876).

But be sure you will get your version of D1X-Rebirth. I will make sure if I not make it to upload Dec 24th, someone else will do it. :)

I'm very happy the video amazes you all and I hope the game itself will not disapoint you.
The DXX-Rebirth project is under constant development and the GP2X version(s) will also profit from this as well. So this will not be the only one version - expect updates.

Because of the Engine:
The Engine is free. You can always get to the DXX-Rebirth site and grab your copy. I will also try to help as good as possible everybody willing to create another game out of these sources. :)

Maybe I'm dumb, but I only get audio on the movie when I play it on my GP2X. I see it's Xvid format, but I should be able to play that. Any ideas? I did watch the video on my PC, it plays fine and that looks awesome! Can't wait.

moz posted on Dec 4 2006 at 06:52 PM said:
what version data files does this use? or doesn't it matter?
It supports Data files at v1.4 (probably needed patches are available on dxx-rebirth.de). Shareware files are not supported (at the moment).

Back