Darwinia & Multiwinia Port

Gurumeditation

Hello Guys,

Introversion Software pay know the sourcecode (for round 45$) of the two rts games Darwinia and Multiwinia. So I wrote in their forum if we can port this games for the pandora and the give us an OK =)

I am not a coder but i hope somebody will do make a port for this two great games =)
I think the Pandora-Devs can pay the 45$ from the develop fundus, if anybody will do this job.

I hope my little information awaken interest =)

And sorry for my terrible english ^^

Ah here you find my question to the developer *click* and the answer *click*

A newssite with this topic and the IV-Store: Ripten.com , Introversion-Store

Having those two games on the Pandora would be very great and also a boost in popularity.

Thanks for your effort!
I sincerely hope this is feasible and someone is going to do it.

foxblock out

I hope so too, but seeing as how Darwinia chugs along (and gets positively unplayably slow) on my 1,6ghz Dual Core PC - with a 256mb DX10 ATI gfx card - I'm not too hopeful that it will be playable on the Pandora.

D.

Dunny said:
I hope so too, but seeing as how Darwinia chugs along (and gets positively unplayably slow) on my 1,6ghz Dual Core PC - with a 256mb DX10 ATI gfx card - I'm not too hopeful that it will be playable on the Pandora.

D.

*Darwinia* Does? It ran very well on a 2GHz P4 some a few years ago - admittedly with a decent gfx card though. I mean, maybe it has high requirements, but it seems odd...

Also, in the spirit of keeping the Dev forums clear from port requests, I'm moving this to general...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice of them to make the code available for a price, not many do even that. But I think currently the license on it is too restrictive. From what I read of that forum post you linked to, the changes can only be put on the locked SVN that others who've paid for access to the source code can use.

Tobriand said:
Dunny said:

D.

*Darwinia* Does? It ran very well on a 2GHz P4 some a few years ago - admittedly with a decent gfx card though. I mean, maybe it has high requirements, but it seems odd...

Also, in the spirit of keeping the Dev forums clear from port requests, I'm moving this to general...

You realize that Dual-core processors are only significantly better if the code is written with threading in mind. If it isn't, then you should assume at it is really only as powerful as one of its single cores when comparing gameplay between processors.

-God Ginrai

Gurumeditation said:
Hello Guys,

Introversion Software pay know the sourcecode (for round 45$) of the two rts games Darwinia and Multiwinia. So I wrote in their forum if we can port this games for the pandora and the give us an OK =)

I am not a coder but i hope somebody will do make a port for this two great games =)
I think the Pandora-Devs can pay the 45$ from the develop fundus, if anybody will do this job.

I hope my little information awaken interest =)

And sorry for my terrible english ^^

Ah here you find my question to the developer *click* and the answer *click*

A newssite with this topic and the IV-Store: Ripten.com , Introversion-Store

Does this game have anything to do with the book called Darwinia?

Dunny said:

D.

If you can run it in a lower resolution (like 400x240@16bit color or even 320x240@16 and last 400x300@16) it will probably be much faster.

When I saw the thread title I thought "They're on XBLA now, fat chance!" ...what a pleasant surprise, these could be great Pandora titles if they can be made to run nicely.

Craig, fund it.
qczYb.gif

God Ginrai said:
You realize that Dual-core processors are only significantly better if the code is written with threading in mind. If it isn't, then you should assume at it is really only as powerful as one of its single cores when comparing gameplay between processors.

-God Ginrai

Yes, of course... but there are a number of other differences between dual core generation processors and the P4 one - in particular, the sheer quantity of cache memory available is kinda important, and I believe there have been a number of instruction-set changes, some of which at least ought to improve efficiency - and at least render 5 year old code which had modest requirements at the time usable on more modern hardware, even at slightly slower cpu speeds - especially given radical improvements in gpus...

Dunny said:

D.
I think some of those perfomance issues were fixed in Multiwina. The biggest problem I had was a huge number of soul sprites on the screen. This can probably be optimized/fixed but it would certainly be a bit of work.
Dead1nside said:
It's nice of them to make the code available for a price, not many do even that. But I think currently the license on it is too restrictive. From what I read of that forum post you linked to, the changes can only be put on the locked SVN that others who've paid for access to the source code can use.
Yeah, but once you get it up and running at acceptable quality, they'd probably be happy to distribute the binaries to users, if for a price.

I have both titles on Steam for my PC. Very cool games! Hope to see them on the Pandora in the near future.

Maybe Defcon can be ported too? Would be a great Pandora multiplayer game.

Wootson said:
I have both titles on Steam for my PC. Very cool games! Hope to see them on the Pandora in the near future.

Maybe Defcon can be ported too? Would be a great Pandora multiplayer game.

More sourcecodes of their games will release in the future =)

I decided to buy the sources. But that doesn't mean a Pandora port since I don't own one. I'll probably play with it for Tegra2 and OpenGL ES 2.0 instead :)

Back