Dc Power Adapters And Batteries

gfoot

I got a power adaptor from Argos - it was about £8, catalogue number 982/9701. It has a voltage selector, interchangeable jacks (the smallest one fits the GP2X), and switchable polarity by rotating the jack 180 degrees before plugging it in. Seems to work fine - rated 1200mA. Though I'm not sure how seriously you need to take the current ratings - presumably the adaptor's true limitation is power (= voltage * current), so this adaptor can deliver 12V*1.2A = 14.4W of power, which amounts to a maximum current of over 4A at the 3V setting.

They have another model which is listed at about £12 I think, but in-store seemed to be only £9-£10, maybe it was on offer. It was rated 2500mA, but didn't have the high voltages, so it's essentially the same thing really!

The voltage selector has 3V, which works for the GP2X although the manual suggests 3.3V. The next voltage up is 4.5V which is probably too high. I taped over the selector switch to stop it getting changed by accident!

I'm a little unclear whether it's OK to plug it into the mains while you still have batteries in it - I think the manual suggested you shouldn't do that. If that's what the manual says, I guess it's a pretty safe bet the GP2X doesn't protect the batteries against being charged from the DC input, but it's also not a proper charger, so perhaps they might overheat. Does anybody know more about this? So far I'm taking the batteries out when using the DC input, but it's getting tedious.

I got my 2300mAh batteries from www.scan.co.uk, piggy-backed on another order - they're very cheap there, and not branded, but the lifespan seems OK (I haven't run them out yet so can't say for sure how long they last). The delivery charge is huge though, so it's only worth ordering there if you're buying serious computer equipment too.

I noticed a Wiki page about accessories:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Extra_Hardware

Maybe it would be useful to list confirmed sources for some of this stuff in various countries? Somebody already pointed out that you can buy PSP cases in Woolworths that fit the GP2X, which would be really useful information to have there (especially if you can point to the exact model).

If the adapter works it should work fine for the future, don't worry about it. The adapter will not charge your batteries as both the Adapter and GP2X are not designed to do so. If both are in it shgould run off the adapter.
As for cases I brought a DS one from GAME for £5. Its pretty good, got a compartment in the front where you can put stuff like batteries, headphones and SD cards. I suggest getting it as it is a very reasonable price.
here is the link http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11229&mid=325654

shade posted on Dec 16 2005 at 06:34 PM said:
As for cases I brought a DS one from GAME for £5. Its pretty good, got a compartment in the front where you can put stuff like batteries, headphones and SD cards. I suggest getting it as it is a very reasonable price.
here is the link http://shop.game.net/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=11229&mid=325654

I got exactly the same one. An excellent buy, I concur.

One thing I did note was to make sure to put the GP2X in so that the screen faced away from the metal poppers... you wouldn't want to be pressing those into the screen very often, padded or not!

Now if only my hopefully-unbricked GP2X would get sent back to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
i allways prefer the voltcraft psu's as they dont have a slider but you have to plug in little resistors, you wont change it by accident, ever!
1000ma one is about 9€

I have an Astonishia Story GP32 case from GBAX, my GP2X fits quite nicely.

I'm buying my batteries from budgetbatteries, probably, though I might order from somewhere which can do me batteries, a charger and an SD card.

Also, the batteries that came with my GP2X are not as bad as I thought they would be. They have outlasted my Energizer 2100mAh rechargeables.

Back