GP2X Debugging Using Serial Cable And Cradle?

Lonewolf9383

Still Fresh
Hello everyone,

I am new to gp2x development (having moved over from psp) and one of the things that appealed to me is the open source and development emphesis on this cool little machine. So far i have been impressed with the little beast (F200) and have ported over a part of my 2D engine successfully.
Now i have reached a point where i want to get debugging working remotly using GDB and a serial cable connected via the cradle.
Following the wiki has got me as far as seeing output in hyperterminal and now i have to admit i am lost. As exciting as getting all those 0's and commas onto my pc over the serial port is i fail to see how i can debug using it. I was under the impression the gp2x would output data only when asked and so would allow me to use GDB and GDBServer over the serial connection. However looking at the hyperterminal it seems that the GP2x is always outputting its own data that will get in the way???

A long search on these forums did not help me out so maybe i have configured something wrong or have i got the wrong idea entirely?? :huh:

Big thanks to anyone who can clear this confusion up for me :)

Hmm? Did it show the linux kernel & uboot information when you turned on your GP2X? Or is it all 1's and 0's?

When at the menu, send CTRL+C in your terminal emu. I don't know if Hyperterm supports that (there have been reports of it not working), so you might want to get yourself better software.

The above will dump you to a command line prompt where you can run gdbserver and connect to that from your PC. Normal printf's will go down as well, but gdb should ignore these as it packetises its data from what I believe.

If it doesn't work, you can always use command line gdb.

For people with F100's, you can run gdbserver over the usb port - this doesn't interfere with the standard output of the program being run and is faster as well.

Hooka said:
Hmm? Did it show the linux kernel & uboot information when you turned on your GP2X? Or is it all 1's and 0's?
When i turn on the gp2x it starts to output alot of data into hyperterminal that looks like this:

````````0```````0``````````````````p```````````````````````````0``0`````0```````
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
`````````````````````````````0````````````p`````0```````0```````````````````````
`````````````` `````````````0``````````````````````````0`````````````````` `````
0``````p`````0````````````````````````````````````````````````0``0``````````````
p``````````````````````````````````````0````````````````````````````````````````
``````````````````````0```````0``````p```````````0````````````````````````````p`
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````0``````````````````0``
`````p``0````p``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
```````````````````````````````````````````````0``````````0`````````````````````
````````````````0``````````0````````````````````````````````````````````````````
``````00``````p```````p`````````````0`````````````````````````````0`````````````
``````````````````````````````````````0````````````````````0````````````````````
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````p`````````````````````````
```p0``````````````0``````````p``0``````````````````````````````````````````````
````````````p`````````````````````````````0`````````````0````````````p`````0````
`````````````````````````````````0```````0``````p```````````````````````````````
````````````````````````````0````````````p``````````````````0````````````````0``
`````0```` `p```````p````````````````````````````````````````````````````````0``
``````````p``````````````````````````````````````````0```````0``````````````````
````````````````````````````````````````````````p```````````````````````````````
`````````````````0```````0``````````````````````````````````````````0``0````````
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````0```````0``
``````````````````````````````````````````````````0`````0```````````````````````
``````````````````````0``````````````p```````p``````08

Maybe its because i am using a usb to serial bridge on the pc? I have tried playing with the settings with no luck.

When at the menu, send CTRL+C in your terminal emu. I don't know if Hyperterm supports that (there have been reports of it not working), so you might want to get yourself better software.

When i press CTRL+C in hyperterminal nothing seems to happen. I will have a look for an alternative program.

Thanks for the help guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again, i have solved the problem by using another serial cable. Looks like theres something wrong with my usb to serial device.
Thanks again for all the help. Time for me to start Deving full steam ahead... :D

Back