Decent Fantasy Novel.

kknd_cf

La vieille dame et les pigeons
Website
Visit site
Basically because of exams and mainly the addiction to the computer I haven't read for a long time, in fact the last book I read was "Of Mice and Men" and that was for my lit exam. I've read one fantasy series called "Dragonlance" and I really liked it.

Fantasy is the kind of novel I can really lose myself in, either that or something factual and extremely interesting. Anyway I was wondering if any of you out there could recommend some decent ones?

Thanks

-Tom

not fantasy in the sword and sorcery style, but 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' is an extremely good book. Ummm, pretty much anything by Clive Barker is worth a read (although that leans much more towards horror). The Wyrd Museum trilogy by Robin Jarvis, although aimed at 14/15 yr olds is pretty good, especially if your into norse mythology.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant are well worth a read. Powerful stuff.

Have you read all the Dragon Lance books or just the Dragonlance Chronicles? (first 3 books)

Actually I'm re reading the Dragonlance Chronicles at the moment.

If you can get hold of them the Deathgate Cycle Saga (7 books) by the Dragonlance Authors is awesome. I had to buy the final book from the states as it was out of print in the UK.

EDIT: The Ice wind Dale trilogy are well worth a read too. The author R.A Salvatore created the world that the Baldurs gate and Ice Wind Dale games are set in.

I haven't got 'round to reading The Wheel of Time yet but I've heard mostly good things about it.

PS Tom FGS change that avatar it's too much for an old man like me on such a hot day :)

Hmm... you could try something by Terry Pratchett (he writes the "Discworld" series of books - they're the ones with the bright, colourfull covers). If you like "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or Monty Python you'll probably love Discworld as well. You'll especially like it if you liked the humour in HHGG but thought it needed more structure and better characters.

Yeah Pratchett isn't half bad. Robert Rankin is good too but I'm not sure if you'd call his fantasy or just warped :)

And if you can get hold of the Ronan the Barbarian books by James Bibby you'll be laughing until the Bovine Quadrapeds come home.

The DaVinci code is a very interesting,thrilling,sorta factual book, i reckon you'd love it.

kknd_cf posted on May 26 2005 at 08:09 PM said:
Basically because of exams and mainly the addiction to the computer I haven't read for a long time, in fact the last book I read was "Of Mice and Men" and that was for my lit exam. I've read one fantasy series called "Dragonlance" and I really liked it.

Fantasy is the kind of novel I can really lose myself in, either that or something factual and extremely interesting. Anyway I was wondering if any of you out there could recommend some decent ones?

Thanks

-Tom

Dragonlance KICK SO MUCH ASS! I own 27 books + have some other 30 as ebooks :D It's what I read all the time :D
You didn't like the Legends trilogy as much as the chronicles??? Most people like it best!
Also Forgotten Realms books are okay, as well as Terry Pratchett's, I have two lots of those bought on ebay waiting until I finish all the dragonlance I can put my hands into.
EVERYONE SHOULD READ DRAGONLANCE!!!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
exael posted on May 30 2005 at 08:31 PM said:
kknd_cf posted on May 26 2005 at 08:09 PM said:

Thanks

-Tom

Dragonlance KICK SO MUCH ASS! I own 27 books + have some other 30 as ebooks :D It's what I read all the time :D
You didn't like the Legends trilogy as much as the chronicles??? Most people like it best!
Also Forgotten Realms books are okay, as well as Terry Pratchett's, I have two lots of those bought on ebay waiting until I finish all the dragonlance I can put my hands into.
EVERYONE SHOULD READ DRAGONLANCE!!!! :p
Well with that kind of enthusiasm I find it difficult to refuse.

[/quote]
Well with that kind of enthusiasm I find it difficult to refuse.
[/quote]

Eheheh true, but if you're still interested in more dragonlance, you can either go two ways, since you already read the basics:

1) Read the fourth chronicle - Dragons of a Summer Flame (and maybe the book second generation in between as it adds a few more things about this new generation) which is about the kids of the heroes, raistlin has a daughter - long story read second generation - caramon has 5 kids as well. sturm and someone I won't mention here coz it would be a spoiler - read second generation as well - have a kid.. and so on. I haven't read the fourth chronicle yet - although I read the second generation to gap the bridge in between. After these two you can follow into the war of souls and newer stuff. I personally followed the next path:

2) Read historic books previous and contemporary to the war of the lance, the story of many races and legends you read about in the chronicles & legends. You've got two amazing trilogies if you're interested - Elven Nations and Dwarven Nations - which tell all about those racial troubles they mildly refer to. There's the preludes I and II trilogies which tell the story of all the war of the lance heroes in those 5 years they separated before reuniting right in the beginning of the chronicles... There's so much stuff.. Just browse around a listing of all books and choose one about something that interested you - people, races, places, legends, etc :p

Well.. You've got entertainment for months if you're still interested in dragonlance :p It's over 150 books :p

gp32rich posted on May 27 2005 at 03:21 PM said:
If you want Epic Fantasy try Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time

There's a series to get your teeth into :huh:
Those are DAMN good fantasy books.
I have only read the first though (Eye of the World).

Hanz™ posted on May 31 2005 at 11:49 AM said:
gp32rich posted on May 27 2005 at 03:21 PM said:
If you want Epic Fantasy try Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time

There's a series to get your teeth into :huh:
Those are DAMN good fantasy books.
I have only read the first though (Eye of the World).

It fun reading the first few, but damn it gets long winded after 6 or 7... never made it to the end (which I'm sure keeps getting added to)

Not Fantasy, but Douglas Adam's books are pretty good. Both Earthsea series by Ursula LeGuin and Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind are excellent. Also try Robert Jordan and perhaps Pierce Anthony books, pretty good. Any of the Dungeons and Dragons books are good, such as Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, DarkSun, Ravenloft, etc.

Also, don't know if you have heard of them, but there are these Harry Potter books that I guess are pretty popular. A bit childish and light hearted, but I managed to get through the first 5 while squating on the can (we all need a good time killer). ;)

you should go for a book from peter straub & stefen king named "the talisman" (Im not sure about the english name)
This book is in 2 volumes...I only read the 1st one some times ago and it really teleported me into the outer space...
It is well writen, the strory kicks ass
It is basically the story of a young guy (for 1st volume) who will travel into another dimension full of misteries and fantasy :D
the 2nd is quite the same as I heard but the young guy is now 20 years more older

see you :lol:

Back