Decent Price On 32 Gig Sd Card

cbox

Over at woot.com they have a 32 gig card for $29.99 for today only! ($5 shipping)

Wow, for such a price its gotta be a 32MB card with GB scratch on in pencil :)

Which brand?

(on my phone, pinned down by sleeping kid)

DAMN!!! it was a Centon one, class 10! and it's sold out already... Do they do email notifications? (didn't see anything on the site at first quick glance) I'm pissed that I missed out on that.. I'd have bought 3! Centon isn't the greatest brand, but all the major web-based stores carries it, so it's legit (as long as woot itself is legit too, then this was an unbelievable deal I missed out on)... Oh well... will have to catch the next one...

you could only buy two this time around, for whatever reason, and i did, dont expect for there to be a next time, unless you plan on beign stuck on a pc for 48 hours during the next wootoff, btw centon is not that great of a ds card, theyre about as cheap as it gets, and people blame them for labeling class 4 cards as class 6, we'll see how these class 10 do once i get em, still, 2x 32gb sdhc class10 cards for $60 with a $5 coupon is a hell of a deal, no matter which way you look at it, plus 5 year warrenty

If you're in Europe you can pick up a class 2 Sandisk for £25 here.

Props to hotukdeals.com for spottage.

Only a class 2 but good enough for the second slot for me, will hold a lot of ROMs.

kaprikawn said:

Only a class 2 but good enough for the second slot for me, will hold a lot of ROMs.
Class 2 or class 10 it doesn't matter...the Pandora can't utilize the extra speed of anything above a class 2.
So if you buy a class 10 you do have a faster sd card, but the pandora is going to write data at the exact same speed as a class 2

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Where on Earth did you hear that? :blink: That's the first time I've heard of it.

Pandora can only write at a certain speed. My knowledge is a little flimsy as I'm going on something I read a year ago, however by fact, I will tell you a Class 10 sd card is no different to a class 6 in the eyes of the pandora.

If I'm correct Pandoras write speed is around 256kbs and a class 2 card does 2mb sustained rate. So it's almost 8 times faster than it needs to be.

Again going on the noggin so I'm sure someone will be along to correct

I don't know... my knowledge on the topic is a little flimsy as well, but wouldn't that be a bit low for a port that is able to handle SDXC cards? I read a while back on this forum that someone was able to access a 64GB SDXC card on the Pandora. I'd think for such a low bus speed, that would not be possible (similar to how they had to make sata drives because they maxed out the IDE connection speeds) On the other hand, I could be wrong, because no matter how fast CF cards get, the connection type and pin configuration seems to stay the same.

But you are right in one respect, it would be a waste of excess speed if the Pandora couldn't access it... on the other hand, for any other devices/computers that said SD cards would be used in/on ALONG with the Pandora, it does have a benefit... I would appreciate someone from OPT confirming this one way or the other. If I don't hear anything, I'll likely email one of them directly to find out...

according to my noggin, pandora doesnt need higher than class 6 sd cards, but that it can handle class 6 speeds, once again, all speculation

kaprikawn said:

Damn, must've missed it, it's gone up to £59 again.

zRichi said:
Pandora can only write at a certain speed. My knowledge is a little flimsy as I'm going on something I read a year ago, however by fact, I will tell you a Class 10 sd card is no different to a class 6 in the eyes of the pandora.

If I'm correct Pandoras write speed is around 256kbs and a class 2 card does 2mb sustained rate. So it's almost 8 times faster than it needs to be.

Again going on the noggin so I'm sure someone will be along to correct
There is something very wrong with your noggin, or at least your Pandora. It has a maximum theoretical speed of 24MB/s, but in practice saw speeds of 16MB/s. 256KB/s is so slow as to be unusable for many things. I've played 720p videos on my Pandora and they typically require at least 450KB/s. I use my Pandora as my SD card reader these days, and it definitely is well into the multi MB transfer rate.
The reason class doesn't really matter much is because the class gives the minimum guaranteed(ish) write speed. When recording ultra high quality video, a sudden drop from 10MB/s to 8MB/s, even for a second, is disastrous, so you have these class 10 which basically say they will never randomly drop below that 10MB/s limit. In practice, all classes greatly exceed their class for writing and especially for reading. Many Class 6s will easily reach that 16MB/s threshold, but they may, occasionally, drop down as low as 6MB/s before climbing back up. On something like the Pandora, that shouldn't be a problem. That's why I frequently recommend against the Class 10s, simply because you aren't likely to have an application where you absolutely cannot afford for it to drop below 10MB/s, so it is better to save your money usually.

WizardStan said:
That's why I frequently recommend against the Class 10s, simply because you aren't likely to have an application where you absolutely cannot afford for it to drop below 10MB/s, so it is better to save your money usually.

Unless you know you're going to use that same SD card in an application that would utilize said guarantee(ish)... like recording HD video with your nice high-end camera and then popping it right into your Pandora to do some editing, or even playback (if the raw format is recognizable by Pandora...

Back