Delete key not working

Neelix

Insecticidal Maniac
Hi

I was hoping someone here could help me with an issue I've been having. I can't get the 'DEL' key to work. Shift-Backspace just gives me Backspace. I've lost track of the amount of times I've deleted the wrong character because it deleted to the left instead of to the right.

My first thought was that it was an error in key mapping, but I've also noticed that in some cases the Pandora doesn't respond to the delete key even if I'm using Synergy to control it from my netbook keyboard.

Thoughts?

Well, if Backspace works, then it IS some mapping.

I remember having troubles properly mapping DEL, have yet to check why though.

At the moment the mapping of "fn+backspace" to "delete" does simply not work. This will require some fix to eventually work. This was already broken in the very first firmware, so no regression or nothing. Basically a software bug (hopefully) or, if it can simply not be done in software (sounds strange to me) a hardware bug in printing the keymat (if it ain't possible, the blue 'del' printing should not be there).

I am confident that it will eventually be fixed. As you can see there is a "real" bugreport about this, too:

http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=138&project=1&order=id&sort=desc

The mapping for DEL isn't "fn+backspace".

The mapping is "shift+backspace".

I confirm the bug : DEL doesn't work.

I tried mapping DEL to and other key, and that works.

But SHIFT + DEL Key doesn't seem to recognize anything.

AFAIR it spits out unknown keycode, so it should be something in software.

Ok, so I installed xev into my dev extend from the Angstrom repos, and I did some experimenting...

Shift+Backspace is recognised as Backspace.

Fn+Enter does not appear to be recognised at all (I had found a suggestion to remap del onto Fn+BS and ins onto Fn+Enter, which I liked)

Then I used Synergy to press Del from the Netbook, which produced this curious set of key codes:

Code:
KeyPress event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x3400001,

root 0x44, subw 0x0, time 2256821445, (62,-6), root:(599,55),

state 0x0, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,

XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 

XFilterEvent returns: False

root 0x44, subw 0x0, time 2256821446, (62,-6), root:(599,55),

state 0x8, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,

root 0x44, subw 0x0, time 2256821447, (62,-6), root:(599,55),

state 0xc, keycode 22 (keysym 0xffff, Delete), same_screen YES,

XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 119

XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (7f) ""

KeyRelease event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x3400001,

root 0x44, subw 0x0, time 2256821448, (62,-6), root:(599,55),

state 0xc, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,

root 0x44, subw 0x0, time 2256821449, (62,-6), root:(599,55),

state 0x8, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,

root 0x44, subw 0x0, time 2256821585, (62,-6), root:(599,55),

state 0x0, keycode 22 (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), same_screen YES,

XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "

When I press Del it also sends Ctrl and Alt? :blink:

This boggled my mind for obvious reasons, but I tried it directly on the pandora. Sure enough, Ctrl-Alt-BS works as Del in Mousepad and Thunar. (and is shiftable for that pesky permanent delete) :D Unfortunately bash only spits out "7~" when I use it in a terminal which tends to be where I want it the most... :huh:

Has a solution for this been found yet? Using MilkyTracker without a delete key is a pain in the pain.

I used this http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54106-del-doesnt-work/page__view__findpost__p__908414

And it worked just fine. Not sure if the Insert key works, because I find the insert key completely useless.

edit: :ph34r:

The insert key isn't useless to me, as it has an important function in MilkyTracker (much like Delete does), but I'll give it a try. If the insert function gets lost, I guess I'll look for the keycode for the yen symbol or something, since that's of less use to me. Thanks for the tip.

ETA: Um...pardon my stupidity, but I don't see a .pndXmodmap anywhere. Is this something I have to do via the terminal? If so, what are the commands?

Last edited by a moderator:
"~" refers to the home directory on the NAND, and the "." before the filename indicates a hidden file.

I used this http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54106-del-doesnt-work/page__view__findpost__p__908414

And it worked just fine. Not sure if the Insert key works, because I find the insert key completely useless.

edit: :ph34r:

The insert key isn't useless to me, as it has an important function in MilkyTracker (much like Delete does), but I'll give it a try. If the insert function gets lost, I guess I'll look for the keycode for the yen symbol or something, since that's of less use to me. Thanks for the tip.

ETA: Um...pardon my stupidity, but I don't see a .pndXmodmap anywhere. Is this something I have to do via the terminal? If so, what are the commands?
Open up a terminal and run

xmodmap ~/.pndXmodmap

Or you could just reboot.

"~" refers to the home directory on the NAND, and the "." before the filename indicates a hidden file.
And how do I find the file if it's hidden? I know how to do it in Windows, but I'm new to this operating system, so I haven't found all the settings yet.

I seem to have accomplished it. Miss the ability to do shift+del though.

And I thought I'd make the shoulder buttons into mouse buttons while at it, but that didn't work. Not sure what I did wrong there.

I had some trouble with insert and shift+del being in conflict, so I moved insert to where the yen symbol was.

Might replace the dollar, pound and euro symbols with Å, Ä and Ö, since I'm Swedish and spend more time typing Swedish words than I spend writing about currency.

ETA: Except it can't convert codeset. Would anybody happen to know what the .pndXmodmap would know ÅÄÖåäö as?

Back