Developer Bored: Pitch Me Game Idea

yaustar

UK GP32 & GP2X Owner
Website
Visit site
I have been meaning to get back into Homebrew development for a while and with the soon to be released Craig2x, it seems to be decent time to do so. However, my game design skills are pretty poor so I am looking for a designer to work with me.

My requirements:
- Small game, development time 2-3 months
- Minimal graphics/sound creation needed (think Defcon, Darwinia, SqDef level)
- Idea must be original
- Target platform is the new machine from Craig
- 2D preferred

For an idea of the kind of level I am aiming at, look at Panic Paradyz.

I am not looking for a entire design document at the moment, just an 'elevator pitch' (imagine if you had two minutes to describe the game to me).

If you want an idea of what I can do, take a look at my portfolio in my signature. Pitch away!

As far as I'm aware they haven't even decided on a chipset for the new machine yet, so if you start a 2-3 month software development now I can see you finishing a few months ahead of the machine you intend to test on :). Might be a better idea to do something in SDL targetting the gp2x, then that will just easily recompile for the new machine later.

The intention was to use SDL with OpenGL although I am not 100% sure on the support of OGL on the new platform. By the time the design document is finalised and some of the base code is done I *hope* the new specs would have been released. If not, then it can be done in pure SDL.

How about a simple (Noiz2sa) style top-down racer? Methinks that that might have the same minimal graphics+techno music = gaming trance thing going.

What about an online Mii channel style creation? You could add game's like pool and arcade games that you could get for your lobby/house like in animal crossing/shenmue. You could have the avatars 2D like simpsonized but not.

how about a game where there's bees, or dogs, or dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you!

but seriously, abstract pinball.

rokdcasbah said:
how about a game where there's bees, or dogs, or dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you!

but seriously, abstract pinball.
Oh! Oh!

"ONLINE PINBALL BATTLES"

Last edited by a moderator:
abstract top down shooter where you have to escape from somewhere and you sneak around people/go around corners and use various weapons and explosives kinda like in a maze sounds cool to me and it could utilize both thumbsticks and the touchscreen easily. Could either be total dot graphics like sqdef or if you wanted to utilize 3d then semi 3d from topdown view like payback. You could use one joystick to move around and one too shoot automatic weapons geometry wars style or to aim grenades by distance. The basic goal would be too get out of the level either by stealth by hiding in shadows and moving when people are looking a certain way like this http://gprime.net/game.php/theclassroom or by precision run and gunning. Different achievements could get you cool weapons controllable by the joystick like a flamethrower or tactical things like a smoke grenade or something to incapacitate guards and post level you could get a point rating based on how few people you had to kill and how little damage you took and how quickly you got out. It would combine strategy, stealth, shooting and problem solving.

PS: i probly just described something that already exists that i have played

Touch screen risk type game where you take over countries and get more soldiers for every country you hold and bonuses for holding a whole continent.... and.... you can nuke stuff... kinda like risk but with no dice and nukes...

Jackd said:
abstract top down shooter where you have to escape from somewhere and you sneak around people/go around corners and use various weapons and explosives kinda like in a maze sounds cool to me and it could utilize both thumbsticks and the touchscreen easily. Could either be total dot graphics like sqdef or if you wanted to utilize 3d then semi 3d from topdown view like payback. You could use one joystick to move around and one too shoot automatic weapons geometry wars style or to aim grenades by distance. The basic goal would be too get out of the level either by stealth by hiding in shadows and moving when people are looking a certain way like this http://gprime.net/game.php/theclassroom or by precision run and gunning. Different achievements could get you cool weapons controllable by the joystick like a flamethrower or tactical things like a smoke grenade or something to incapacitate guards and post level you could get a point rating based on how few people you had to kill and how little damage you took and how quickly you got out. It would combine strategy, stealth, shooting and problem solving.

PS: i probly just described something that already exists that i have played

Now this is the kind of reply I was expecting for a pitch in terms of detail.

Iorgy77 said:
Touch screen risk type game where you take over countries and get more soldiers for every country you hold and bonuses for holding a whole continent.... and.... you can nuke stuff... kinda like risk but with no dice and nukes...
Check this out http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...=37880&st=0

Might not be exactly that, but it's in the same spirit :)

do you remember the tank game on the atari 2600.....were you battled against another tank in different mazes...with a top down view....the graphics were basic ,but the game play was just great .....

Back