Diagonal Controls On Wiz

DRED

Still Fresh
I'm considering buying the Wiz but heard there is problems with the diagonal controls being too sensitive. They say in games like SMB3 you can't do certain moves. I see this as a big problem if I can't control my games? Does the Dingoo have the same controller problems?

If someone could also tell me about the memory bottle neck on the wiz, what kind of problems will this cause me?

Are all the Snes,nes,genesis,sega master system, emulators run at normal speed for the most part? Does the Dingoo have any advantages when it comes to running the Roms at full speed?

Someone also mentioned something about the wiz not having a menu button, it acts as a pause button, is this true? I just hate not having all the buttons to select options in games. My link view, you tube video at 6:02 where he talks about the button issue.

Is there a direct place to order these like gp2xstore.com, or do all websites order them directly from where they are manufactured?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The diagonal controls are ok, not great but they work. Most emus run at full speed with exception of a few games here and there. The menu button acts differently in different games and emus, you'll have to check with the games you are using. The wiz imo is much much better than the dingoo, in fact if you want a dingoo i have an extra one i'd let go for pretty cheap ($70 + shipping). Gp2xstore is alright, i ordered from them, they ship from CA.

Yeah, the Wiz has two buttons titled Menu and Select, which for all intents and purposes, should have been left blank, because every application can assign those buttons to whatever function they like. For example, in Final Burn when you emulate a vertical shmup the emulator requires you to hold the system vertically and the Menu button is used to fire. So again, the fact that it says "Menu" means nothing really.

As for the Dpad diagonals I didn't really have too much trouble with them, the only issue I have with the Dpad is when I'm playing old fighting games and the move requires you to hold back for 2 seconds then push forward... I almost always screw this up and touch a diagonal by accident forcing my character into a different move...

Anywho, despite it's flaws, I think it is a fantastic system, if you like retro gaming, even if the Wiz doesn't play EVERYTHING you expect or want, you'll still find more than enough to keep you occupied. I love the system to bits. I never played the Dingoo so I can't comment much on that but it looks like the Wiz already has a committed community do to the GP2X line so I would go with the Wiz due to that fact alone, the more support you have, the better apps you get.

I also bought my Wiz from gp2xstore didn't have any problems with them at all. So I believe they are reliable.

Thanks so far for the responses, with the memory bottle neck, its more of a question if it will bottle neck any of the snes,nes,genesis,sms emulation?
Or is this more of a problem of using more advanced emulation like N64 or Quake2?

DRED said:
Thanks so far for the responses, with the memory bottle neck, its more of a question if it will bottle neck any of the snes,nes,genesis,sms emulation?
Or is this more of a problem of using more advanced emulation like N64 or Quake2?
From what I have heard, it isn't a problem with the emulators you list, but for more advanced ones. In any event it might very well be overcome by a workaround or fix. As far N64, don't expect it. You will be lucky to get psx. Personally, I would get the wiz over a Dingoo.

DRED said:
I'm considering buying the Wiz but heard there is problems with the diagonal controls being too sensitive. They say in games like SMB3 you can't do certain moves. I see this as a big problem if I can't control my games? Does the Dingoo have the same controller problems?

If someone could also tell me about the memory bottle neck on the wiz, what kind of problems will this cause me?

Are all the Snes,nes,genesis,sega master system, emulators run at normal speed for the most part? Does the Dingoo have any advantages when it comes to running the Roms at full speed?

Someone also mentioned something about the wiz not having a menu button, it acts as a pause button, is this true? I just hate not having all the buttons to select options in games. My link view, you tube video at 6:02 where he talks about the button issue.

Is there a direct place to order these like gp2xstore.com, or do all websites order them directly from where they are manufactured?

Thanks
I don't have a Dingoo but I will go by what I have heard.
Neither of these are perfect. I heard the pad on the dingoo is too shallow, and the Wiz pivot should be slightly longer. The OLED screen is better on the Wiz with a much better viewing angle and contrast. The buttons are placed better on Dingoo from what I have heard. While not ideal I have really not had problems with the Wiz buttons though. As far as full speed emus they are comparible and it will mostly come down to which is more optimised. As far as menu and pause buttons it looks like both the Wiz and Dingoo have two buttons on the face that perform that function, so there I would say it is a draw.

The "bottleneck" just means that it will not truly perform as fast as you would think the system would at 750 MHz. It really has no visible effect on Genesis (already perfect), NES or SMS. It does effect SNES (no bottleneck and it would be fullspeed in all games such as SuperFX chip games) but then again that doesn't run any worse than the Dingoo.

Your saying it only effects SNES games that have a superfx chip or all SNES games? Why would they make such a mistake as bottlenecking the memory?

DRED said:
Your saying it only effects SNES games that have a superfx chip or all SNES games? Why would they make such a mistake as bottlenecking the memory?

the memory is a little slow, there isn't a lot of it, etc.

SNES games work fine, with scaling, but games using the superFX are a tad slow unless you're overclocked (mario kart's mode 7 graphics, super mario world 2 - yoshi's island, etc.) But for the most part it works fine.

Anyone looked into the possibility of a hardware mod to the D-pad to improve the pivot? I have to confess I am increasingly finding it to be troublesome, especially for anything requiring gestures as input (quarter circle forward in Street Fighter 2 etc.).

Which brave (kerrazy) soul will be first to rip their Wiz apart to find out if anything's possible I wonder? ;)

Dingoo controls aren't perfect either. The pad is far too spongy and set too low to have a decent game of SF or KoF (also the existing MVS emulator is waaaay too slow (KoF 98 is about ~50% full speed for me), people saying it's perfect or even "good" have probably never played the real thing). Face button placement is ok but the shoulder buttons are tiny clicky things. They're ok but good luck using them in a fast, complex sequence (combos in SF for example).

Dingoo is at a disadvange performance wise, but is good enough. I'd say it's about the same as a GP2x, slower at some things, faster with others.

MuteRobert said:
Anyone looked into the possibility of a hardware mod to the D-pad to improve the pivot? I have to confess I am increasingly finding it to be troublesome, especially for anything requiring gestures as input (quarter circle forward in Street Fighter 2 etc.).

Which brave (kerrazy) soul will be first to rip their Wiz apart to find out if anything's possible I wonder? ;)
Yes I have done it. Afterwards I pulled off 10 Hadokens straight with many sucessful dragon punches too in SFII.

It is quite easy actually (with some skill working with small parts).

More to come soon...

Back