Dictionary Programs?

Gilrad

There was a bit of discussion about this a month ago, but any attempt on my part to do some searching myself has ended up with nothing that I could understand, so:

-What are some good dictionary programs that the Pandora will be able to run without any fuss? Specifically Japanese-English in my case, so extra points if there is a kanji finder tool as well.

-From what I understand, gjiten (what I have used in the past, works like a charm) is heavily reliant on Gnome libraries. If there are no other good alternatives, is there some way I can get this to work WITHOUT diving into that "advanced linux user realm" that always ends with me giving up in frustration?

If there's a good website that you use, maybe that could work for a while until things start developing, once you get a Pandora. I personally just want an Icelandic keyboard layout, but I'm not too concerned.

xjdic seems to fit the bill. It isn't as pretty as kiten or gjiten, but it won't require you to install tons of kde or gnome dependencies. http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/xjdic/
I don't know if all it will take is a simple recompile, but there's a package for debian lenny arm, so it's definitely possible.

Gilrad said:
There was a bit of discussion about this a month ago, but any attempt on my part to do some searching myself has ended up with nothing that I could understand, so:

-What are some good dictionary programs that the Pandora will be able to run without any fuss? Specifically Japanese-English in my case, so extra points if there is a kanji finder tool as well. ....<snip>
Try this http://stardict.sourceforge.net/ there's already an ARM version

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions! Many of those look like they will work just fine, sans kanji search function.

Out of curiosity, if I really wanted gjiten (again, kanji search function is really useful), would I be able to just grab the libraries and run it in xfce? Or would I have to switch to gnome? I wouldn't mind an extra ~100mb of useless libraries if its possible to statically link them and run the program off my SD card (since space on the NAND is probably going to be pretty scarce).

Back