Diet

According to what diet do you normally eat?

• No special restrictions

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • pescatarian (vegetarian food and sea food)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • non-vegan vegetarian

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • vegan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fruitarian

• animal products only, but more than just meat

• meat only

• low-carb

• breatharian

• other

• Total voters

λ the β-Redex Reducer

β-Redex Reducing Member
I got inspired to make a diet topic with poll! More selectable responses are allowed because some diets overlap (e.g. low-carb vegan). So let's see what the people of the Land of Pirii eat!

I've been vegetarian since 1991. I started because it was trendy but at this point I find meat completely disgusting. I have never eaten fish and had chicken just few times. I did like McDonald's when I was a kid but I think that was because of the pervasive advertisements. I don't really like eggs anymore but I love cheese.

I am against veganism because it often requires altering a recipe, as opposed to vegetarian which is a natural subset. also vegan food can be very synthetic. beyond meat burgers make me vomit. my favourite veggie burger is Portobello + halloumi. my favourite types of food are those that have many natural veggie options: Italian, Indian, middle Eastern, Mexican too. Oh let's not forget Ethiopian! My official favourite meal is soup+sandwich+glass of white wine. I stopped drinking red wine because it can contain fish and that grosses me out completely.. and I'm an alcoholic!

Isinglass is also used to clarify beer, so avoid that too. I wasn't aware it was used in red wine manufacture but not white wine, so thanks for that (although personally I'm not put off by drinking small amounts of isinglass).

I am worried about how things are going globally with meat and c02, etc. widespread moves to (cheap) meat substitutes is a scary thought indeed.
Post automatically merged:

Isinglass is also used to clarify beer, so avoid that too. I wasn't aware it was used in red wine manufacture but not white wine, so thanks for that (although personally I'm not put off by drinking small amounts of isinglass).
yep. don't drink carling, Guinness and actually a lot of cask ales. lagers and ipas tend to be ok. but me for me its not about rules or my body being a temple (ha!) and more about that sickening feeling.

Yeah, carling has a queasy effect on me too, but I wouldn't put that down to fish extract (I like eating fish). I'm fine with guinness and most cask ales though, and don't mind the odd IPA, but I don't often drink lager.

I've been vegetarian since 1991. I started because it was trendy but at this point I find meat completely disgusting.
That is a long time, I do not know when I became vegetarian but it was far past 2010 for sure.

also vegan food can be very synthetic.
That is true, but on the other hand, most raw food is vegan. In fact, it seems that

As for me, I used to live on highly processed meat, MSG, and McDonalds' waste. And I greatly disliked fruit and thus never ate it. Thanks to that diet I got overweight and burdened with tons of ailments. So in order to remedy that I decide to change diet. Initially I tried low-carb, but later I moved to vegetarianism, then veganism + honey, and then I started to remove things 1 by 1 from my diet such as MSG, cooked tomatoes, bread, potatoes, etc. Though some of those I ultimately put back but just started consuming very rarily instead, eating them monthly instead of daily.

Also playing a part was that I grew more sympathetic to animals. So I actually had 2 reasons pushing me to become vegetarian.

Nowadays my diet probably consists for more than 95% of raw fruit, if we count blending as being raw (which it technically is not). The <5% consist of the honey, herbs, and salt that I commonly consume; and of things like bread and potatoes that I rarily consume. So I am technically not vegan (due to the honey) but I am 100% vegetarian and besides the honey also 100% vegan.

Even if we feel like out of control pigs our diets are actually finely tuned. Changing diet slightly can be so disruptive. like I try to cut down on bread and it affects my sleep and I'm cranky for months before I figure it out. Changing diet is so hard for me I'm better off changing my lifestyle first then hoping the diet can accommodate it in the way I want.

I believe I first heard about the superfood myth from levi. that makes perfect sense to me.

it just debunks the idea that you can overdose on certain foods and thrive when really a balanced and moderate diet is what our bodies need. (exercise also plays a crucial role because without it our metabolism suffers)

I grew up in a foodie family and my sister is a nutritionist. she doesn't give kids her much fruit, doesn't leave it lying around the house like when we were young. she thinks it has too much sugar. I asked her what about all those island people who just eat fruit? she says yeah - look how fat they are. I always assumed it was from luau (pork feasting). she's got a point but I still eat fruit, in moderation of course.

btw - i didn't mean to criticize fruitarianism. it's just a classic example of the superfood myth.

I asked her what about all those island people who just eat fruit? she says yeah - look how fat they are
That is surprising, as the stereotype fruitarian is starved and heavily underweight. Anyway I got to disagree with her on this one. I blend and juice most of my fruit which allows me to eat much more than I would if I ate it whole, I normally eat until my stomach hurts from sheer volume, and I am an ex-overweight guy and thus definitely have "fat genes". Yet despite all that, I stay slim. I honestly have no idea how I could ever get fat on a fruitarian diet. I did not even exercise, I often just sat around eating fruit all day.

btw - i didn't mean to criticize fruitarianism. it's just a classic example of the superfood myth.
Fruitarianism is actually quite balanced when compared to many diets in nature. E.g. lions eat almost exclusively meat, cows it almost exclusively grass, and some primates eat almost exclusively fruit.
It is the human diet that is the outlier. Humans have a diet that is far more varied than even those of many omnivores.

Humans eat a varied diet because they process their food. If they would not process it then almost everyone would be fruitarian. This works similarly for all mammals. E.g. cats can be made to eat a varied i.e. balanced diet of grains, fruit, vegetables, meat, and dairy if the food is processed properly. But when eating raw cats tend to eat only meat.

Back