Differences Between F100 And F200

pvp_lostknight

Still Fresh
i was having a hard time deciding whether or not to buy a f100 or f200 and didnt want to be left out on some 'good stuff' if i bought one over the other. ok so it took me a week but i did manage to sort thru all the rubble of the intraweb to bring to you the my dumbed down list of differences between a gp2x f100 and gp2x f200.

*ok right off the bat the f100 is black and the f200 is white. duh

*f100 has a crappy 'analog/dpad' control that looks like an analog stick but underneath it is really 4 switches which is pretty retarded if u ask me. everyones complained about it and there are tons of mods that are done to it

*f200 has a dpad which is better than that retarded 'analog/dpad'. ne one with big fingers is going to have a problem with going diagonal

*f200 has a touchscreen which really isnt used for ne thing YET because it came out nov 07 (2 months) and there really isnt ne dev work done for games yet. its estimated that soon most emul/homebrew will make use of the touchscreen. the xmb can be used with the touchscreen.

*f200 speakers sound MUCH better than the f100s

*the soldering of battery compartment of the f100 sucks so it becomes faulty and drains your battery life like crazy. f200 doesnt have that

*f200 has sdhc support up to 32gb while f100 doesnt

*f100 has a networking chip (on the mobo) where you can plug a mini usb into the mini usb port of the f100 and plug it into your computer. then if u have a driver on your pc, you can make your f100 appear as a network device rather than a usb mass storage. the f200 has this chip removed so you cant do that

*both have EXT port at the bottom which can be used to do tv-out and usb host (plug in usb crap to it and access it as a pc)

*f200 doesnt have the battery indiciator meter

*both dont have builtin wifi but u can hook up a usb wifi adapter to your usb host thru the EXT port and put in a driver.

*if u want to hook up a usb flash drive and load sh*t from it, hook up a usb port to your EXT port. then go to your settings and activate usb host. you can then access your usb flash drive and load up stuff. ppl have loaded up psx games before from it so its good.

*most software available from the f100 should be good with the f200

*production of f100 has stopped while f200 is relatively new and still producing

if anyone has anything to add about them plz add.

This makes the F100 look like a piece of junk :p but the list is pretty accurate.

I also remember reading people complaining about using their F200 with the cradle, maybe someone can confirm this?

A useful list, thank you. However, i'd like to make some comments!

*f100 has a crappy 'analog/dpad' control that looks like an analog stick but underneath it is really 4 switches which is pretty retarded if u ask me. everyones complained about it and there are tons of mods that are done to it

I think many people a quite happy with the stick. ok, a proper d-pad would be better, but IMHO its not as bad as you make out. It's just you only hear from people that don't like it! Oh, and it has 8 switches (plus stick click)

*f200 has a dpad which is better than that retarded 'analog/dpad'. ne one with big fingers is going to have a problem with going diagonal

Big fingers? i don't understand. Anyway, the main problem is the fact that its just 4 seperate buttons - you can press them all at once, and this also makes it hard to "circle" round the directions.

*f200 has a touchscreen which really isnt used for ne thing YET because it came out nov 07 (2 months) and there really isnt ne dev work done for games yet. its estimated that soon most emul/homebrew will make use of the touchscreen. the xmb can be used with the touchscreen.

I think Scummvm is notable enough to be mentioned :)

*the soldering of battery compartment of the f100 sucks so it becomes faulty and drains your battery life like crazy. f200 doesnt have that

Battery compartment becomes faulty? I'm not sure this is a widespread problem.. the cantacts are a bit rubbish, yes, but i haven't yet had a problem of battery life draining any quicker than normal.. (maybe i'm lucky?) Again, although this may be the case for many, i think you only hear from the people that have had problems!

*f200 has sdhc support up to 32gb while f100 doesnt

There is a patch available for F100's

Mrsnature is right.

Some issues with the F200.

- Speaker is too loud for many people. Might sound trivial, but it's fiddly to adjust volume down on GP2X as many apps reset the volume to highest as soon as they are launched.
- No dock for stylus (at least it has touch screen at all I suppose).
- Lack of 8 directional switches and stick click means that some games/emus need updating to accomodate for this.
- Has trouble playing certain sound frequencies so many emus have needed updating for this.
- Lack of USB host makes development on this unit alot less convenient.

pvp_lostknight said:
u mean the usb chip for the usb slave port not the usb host from EXT
This guy is a usb looney. :lol: :lol: :lol: This is the second thread on the same things you asked last time psp fanboi.

Last edited by a moderator:
imhotep said:
Mrsnature is right.

Some issues with the F200.

- Speaker is too loud for many people. Might sound trivial, but it's fiddly to adjust volume down on GP2X as many apps reset the volume to highest as soon as they are launched.
- No dock for stylus (at least it has touch screen at all I suppose).
- Lack of 8 directional switches and stick click means that some games/emus need updating to accomodate for this.
- Has trouble playing certain sound frequencies so many emus have needed updating for this.
- Lack of USB host makes development on this unit alot less convenient.

astro said:
pvp_lostknight said:
u mean the usb chip for the usb slave port not the usb host from EXT
This guy is a usb looney. :lol: :lol: :lol: This is the second thread on the same things you asked last time psp fanboi.

i didnt ask ne thing. i corrected him.

I wouldn't both with f-100 it's out of date who cares what it does, both the f-100 and f-200 have the same specs so the emulation is the same the only difference is look below:

GP2X F-200

*32gb support no need any patch like f-100
*usb data transfer is fast on f-200, f-100 it's so slow
*excellent d-pad better than the joystick (there is only few applications and games use the click)
*touch screen- there are some touch screen games on gp2x f-200 you can't even do that on f-100
*there is no space for stylus it can be hanged bottom left hole which isn't to bad
*gp2x f-200 is white color which looks way cooler than the black one.

The biggest updates (at least for me) is the better joypad, the touchscreen (although we have yet to see what can really be done here) and SDHC support. I couldn't get SDHC support to work via the patch with my 8GB and my F100, but it works perfectly on my F200. The space is a big deal for me :)

I agree with you zektor needing more space i have a 8gb sdhc memory card it's not enough for me i'm looking for the release for 32gb memory card which is massive storage, the good thing about f-200 is that it has has touch screen that's best idea in a games console.

pvp_lostknight said:
What exactly do you think an analog stick looks like? A joystick looks like a joystick. It's the internal workings that determine if it's analog or digital.

sukhigp said:
*there is no space for stylus it can be hanged bottom left hole which isn't to bad
It is too bad for me, 'cause I lost my stylus the other day while playing on it in the street. :(

I guess I didn't screw it on tight enough, it unscrewed and fell off and I didn't notice it. I went back and tried to find it, but no luck.

Now I'm using a toothpick. <_<

I don't know if I'm going to try and buy a different stylus, 'cause there's no dock and I might lose it again.

gavie said:
I also remember reading people complaining about using their F200 with the cradle, maybe someone can confirm this?
Nope, that was a bad batch of cradles, neither the F100 nor the F200 did fit in those.

Last edited:
What's this about problems with diagonals and stick-clicks on the F200? Am I going to have to worry about such things if/when I pick one up for myself, or is it worked out already?

The problem with the diagonals is because the directional buttons are individual buttons. It's not a traditional D-pad that moves on a pivot, so you can't get fluid movements between directions. So, if you want to make a diagonal movement, you have to push two buttons down, not just a corner of a pad.

So, no. That problem has not been worked out. It's the way the device was designed. It's flawed, but you get used to it. For me, the only time it's an issue is when I play a fighting game, and even that depends on the game.

For a game like Mortal Kombat, where the moves require tapping, it's not so bad. For a game like Street Fighter II, where more fluid movements are required, it's not even worth the trouble.

I hope this helps.

EvilDragon said:
gavie said:
Nope, that was a bad batch of cradles, neither the F100 nor the F200 did fit in those.

If no existing GP2X fit, then this is proof of another GPH console!!!!!!!!
icon_smile_clown.gif

mick said:
The problem with the diagonals is because the directional buttons are individual buttons. It's not a traditional D-pad that moves on a pivot, so you can't get fluid movements between directions. So, if you want to make a diagonal movement, you have to push two buttons down, not just a corner of a pad.

So, no. That problem has not been worked out. It's the way the device was designed. It's flawed, but you get used to it. For me, the only time it's an issue is when I play a fighting game, and even that depends on the game.

For a game like Mortal Kombat, where the moves require tapping, it's not so bad. For a game like Street Fighter II, where more fluid movements are required, it's not even worth the trouble.

I hope this helps.
It does indeed. Though, is this a software problem(some stuff isn't recognizing the diagonals due to expecting a no-longer-existant switch), or a purely hardware problem that could be fixed by getting a coin or a dpad and glueing it on?

yalborap said:
It does indeed. Though, is this a software problem(some stuff isn't recognizing the diagonals due to expecting a no-longer-existant switch), or a purely hardware problem that could be fixed by getting a coin or a dpad and glueing it on?
It's a hardware problem, and it has been solved by doing exactly what you suggest.

Back