DigDug didn't score me AGAIN!!!

Kumaki

I got the high score, 32,000 plus and the C4aMAME somehow didn't give me the top spot, or even count that game as played, no score in the web site.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think C4A gives an error message when you don't have WiFi - but probably only on startup.

If you lose Wifi while playing a game, I think it doesn't give any feedback, so that might've been the reason.

See page 3 of the July poll page:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/13798-compo4all-poll-july-poll-ended/page-3

or jump straight to my last post there:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/13798-compo4all-poll-july-poll-ended/page-3#entry263073

If you've played Dig Dug previously, you need to delete the digdug.nv file in the nvram folder in c4amame, or any further scores won't register. Just remember to do that before you fire up c4amame next time!
crap.  that is probably it.  dammit, I got ripped off out of the top spot

By the way, does this bastard of a file keep re-creating itself, so that you constantly have to delete it...or does it stay gone?

EDIT:  OK, now I am pissed!!  I scored 39,250 and no goddam score.

Before playing, I deleted the bastard nv file.  No good, my score still don't count!

And I was hooked up to wifi, the bastard even went thru it's synching after all done and back to menu...but my Digdug score got wasted AGAIN!!

The top spot belongs to me, and I don't get credit for it!!

Now this is pissing me off.

By the way Skeezix, can you work out a way to save scores offline and then have them sync next time you are online with c4a ? 

One way you could add offline support could be to save locally the high scores for supported games using an encryption key, and have it decoded when it is uploaded to the server once online again. What do you think ?

By the way, does this bastard of a file keep re-creating itself, so that you constantly have to delete it...or does it stay gone?

Before playing, I deleted the bastard nv file.  No good, my score still don't count!
Yes, you have to delete the file every time before play - it gets created whenever you play (whether you get a high score or not) and exit the game - so is it possible you deleted it, played a game and quit back to the c4a menu, then started Dig Dug again and got a high score (which would not then be recorded because the scores would go to the nv file preventing them being picked up by c4a on exit)?

I deleted the digdug.nv file after I encountered the problem, and it registered my score. Did that a few times now, worked each time. (EDIT: Just played a quick game to test, and it registered my 26k score ok)

Maybe it's possible you reached a high score, then played another round of dig dug to get a better score in that session? That could present a problem - maybe the .nv file is created when you enter the high score table first time, so if you have recorded a high score in the game you just played, then if you want to try for a higher score straight away you actually need to exit c4aMame, delete the .nv file and go back in again otherwise only the first score (or none) will be picked up by c4a.

If you feel you're not on course for a high score you'll be happy with, don't let it go so far as ending the game and entering your initials - reset the game (F3) and play again. Don't enter the high score table and play again immediately, might be a way of avoiding not registering?

By the way Skeezix, can you work out a way to save scores offline and then have them sync next time you are online with c4a ? 

One way you could add offline support could be to save locally the high scores for supported games using an encryption key, and have it decoded when it is uploaded to the server once online again. What do you think ?
yeah, its on my list to do .. queueing in the 'sc' client, so it 'just works'.

I've been obliterated off the planet the last few weeks .. the babies going through some phase of night-crazy :(

jeff

Can people cheat to get hi score this way?

the babies going through some phase of night-crazy :(

jeff
My son had 4 straight years of "night-crazy", I wish you well ^_^

Chris

Can people cheat to get hi score this way?
Did you read the post? Why do you think encryption is for?

Yes, you have to delete the file every time before play - it gets created whenever you play (whether you get a high score or not) and exit the game - so is it possible you deleted it, played a game and quit back to the c4a menu, then started Dig Dug again and got a high score (which would not then be recorded because the scores would go to the nv file preventing them being picked up by c4a on exit)?

I deleted the digdug.nv file after I encountered the problem, and it registered my score. Did that a few times now, worked each time. (EDIT: Just played a quick game to test, and it registered my 26k score ok)

Maybe it's possible you reached a high score, then played another round of dig dug to get a better score in that session? That could present a problem - maybe the .nv file is created when you enter the high score table first time, so if you have recorded a high score in the game you just played, then if you want to try for a higher score straight away you actually need to exit c4aMame, delete the .nv file and go back in again otherwise only the first score (or none) will be picked up by c4a.

If you feel you're not on course for a high score you'll be happy with, don't let it go so far as ending the game and entering your initials - reset the game (F3) and play again. Don't enter the high score table and play again immediately, might be a way of avoiding not registering?
I deleted the file, and then went into c4a mame, and I believe I only played one game of digdug and then went back out - but I could not swear to that in a court of law, so it may be possible.

You are telling me that you constantly have to delete that nv file...EVERY TIME...just before you play dig dug...and you can play one game only, and then exit, delete the file, and then try again?

This is the very reason some other games were currently not included in C4A...I notcied, for example, Berzerk had an nv file.  One other game did, too.  Next time I access my card, I'll look for it and tell you all the other game that created an nv file...and perhaps then, those games could get added?

Or hopefully a way can be found so that the nv file would not be an issue any longer, and thus, perhaps many other games currently not added could then get added?

You are telling me that you constantly have to delete that nv file...EVERY TIME...just before you play dig dug...and you can play one game only, and then exit, delete the file, and then try again?
Yes, if Dig Dug has been played then you'll need to delete the nv file if one has been created (not sure if it's only created when a score is registered or if it makes one regardless).

It's possible that entering the high score table more than once might also be a problem (I'm only guessing) - when I play I avoid registering a score if it's on course to be too low anyway, so I reset the game (F3) and play until I get a score worth recording, so I avoid the potential problem that way and then exit the game when I've made my first/only score table entry.

This is the very reason some other games were currently not included in C4A...I notcied, for example, Berzerk had an nv file.  One other game did, too.  Next time I access my card, I'll look for it and tell you all the other game that created an nv file...and perhaps then, those games could get added?
 Pole Position too, though I'm not certain they all behave the same way. If NVRam can't be supported easily, maybe the NVRam folder could be purged on exit or something.

DigDug didn't score me...AGAIN!!!!

I went in, deleted the damnde nv file.  I went in to C4A with wifi on the whole time, it went thru sychnig so I know my connectiupn was fine

I scored 34000 this time, good enough for first place FOR THE THIRD TIME... and for the third time I got screwed out of it.

I got the high score.  I entered my initials.  I waited for the countdown for continue to reach zero, all while pressing no buttons.  I exited back to C4A Menu screen.  No friggin' score AGAIN!!

Now I have been screwed THRRE TIMES...and - you know, I don't necessarily MIND getting screwed, but, dammit, I haven't been wined, dined and kissed first!!

Bizarre, it's worked every time I tried - the only thing I can think of other than some random rom version incompatibility cursing you, is quitting c4a before it finished synching all scores? Unlikely I know, I'm sure you waited 'til it had finished, but that's all I can think of when everything else was done...

Maybe try an older version of the rom (you'll still need to delete the nv file as before).

Tried it now with a different ROM that worked for someone else.

Once again, same result.

This time I scored 41,500.  This is now the FOURTH TIME I have EARNED the top spot on DigDug and been screwed out of it.

Before I played this game, the nv file for digdug was wiped out...and I played only the one game.

I entered my initials.

I exited back to C4A menu and let it go thru an entire sync.  Still no good.

The only possible thing is that I am currently going straight thru C4A instead of the Tournament Launcher, since it does not directly launch MAME games, anyway, but I can't see how THAT would matter!

The only possible thing is that I am currently going straight thru C4A instead of the Tournament Launcher, since it does not directly launch MAME games, anyway, but I can't see how THAT would matter!
I play it through C4A, and that works for me so I doubt that's the problem

Back