Digital Audio Production

cobaltage

This is a question from someone who knows a little about DAWs (digital audio workstations) but not Linux.

I recently saw the last two articles (in a series of three) in the Linux Journal about the state of audio software for Linux, and I was wondering about the potential for running audio software of various kinds on the Pandora. This is both a hardware and a software question, I guess.

Re: software, I was curious about software from audio encoding (mp3, ogg, FLAC) all the way up to Ardour, software synths, etc.

Re: hardware, a lot of audio software benefits from RAM, but simple audio multi-tracking and digital effects for devices like the Zoom H4 run on a lot less. Also, there are peripherals to think about, like a USB audio interface with low latency drivers, MIDI interfaces, etc.

The state of audio software on Linux seems a little thin in general, mostly because of the lack of audio plug-in compatibility (VST, etc.).

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

A lot of stuff should work easily enough, with a simple port .. some won't be so easy because of Intel-specific optimizations, but I know for example zynaddsubfx should be possible (Great softsynth), seq24 - MIDI sequencer, etc.

Time will tell if the DSP of the Pandora gets any good audio usage, but I for one intend to press it into that use with *new* code.

Back